KB2699988 freeze IE9

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by abu shofwan, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

after applying this patch, IE9 become freeze and high CPU usage.

so uninstalled and better wait :rolleyes:

does any1 have same experience ?

Windows 7 32bit

2. SouthPark

SouthPark Registered Member

Same problem on IE 8.0 with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. After applying KB2699988, IE 8.0 froze when "More information" in Windows Update was clicked.

Error message as follows:

Fault bucket 1522007505, type 5
    Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: iexplore.exe
    P2: 8.0.7601.17514
    P3: 6.1.7601.2.1.0
    P4:
    P5:
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

Attached files:
    C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp\RDR1343.tmp\empty.txt

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: aaf958b7-b539-11e1-98b3-00262d82be16
    Report Status: 0

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Try launching "IE (no addons)" from the accessories menu?

4. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Do you guys have DFX installed?

An MVP on the TechNet Forum is suggesting that it is a conflict with DFX.

And more here at Microsoft Answers.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
  5. abu shofwan

thank for pointing those links.
    confirmed. DFX installed.

6. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I guess we have to wait for a DFX update.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

This would be MS-037. Microsoft have a toll-free number (US & Canada) for issues related to Windows Updates: 1-866-727-2338

If you are not located in the US or Canada, the alternative would be Microsoft Answers

8. abu shofwan

agreed :thumb:
    applying this update again coz IE9 not my default browser:D . Stay updated.

9. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Same issue here, and I also have DFX installed. What finally worked for me as a workaround, rather than doing without DFX completely, I downloaded the latest version (10.137) and installed it using the custom install and unchecking the option to install the Internet Explorer plug-in (or whatever it is they're using to hook into IE), leaving everything else checked for installation. Rebooted, and IE with KB2699988 installed is now functioning normally. All the other programs that DFX works with work fine as well (Windows Media Player, Realplayer, Firefox, etc.). Since IE isn't my main browser I can live without the IE support, but it would still be nice to have that option available.

Hopefully FXsound will be issuing an update/patch to address the issue pronto. I've contacted them to inquire but it'll probably be a day or two before hearing back from their support.

10. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Good idea, bboyer.

IE is not my main browser either.
    In fact, I hardly use it.

11. elapsed

Like I said, run IE without plugins by launching from the special menu in accessories. Or go into the plugins menu in IE and disable the specific plugin.

12. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I have tried running IE with no add-ons, with the same result.
    The problem is that DFX is still running.

13. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Same here, no workie. But unchecking the IE option in the DFX installer does, at least for me, until an update is released.

14. elapsed

That's quite odd, you'd think disabling the plugin and not installing it were one and the same thing. :s

15. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Yeah, I know. Being in a rush, I hadn't noticed your post about running IE with add-ons disabled, but when I saw your re-mention of it I figured, yeah, that ought to do the trick. But, sadly, it didn't work out that way. So I don't know how DFX is hooking into IE, but it's not that big an issue at the moment since IE isn't my default browser anyway.

Good suggestion, though.

16. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

I uninstalled DFX, then reinstalled it without Internet Explorer 32-bit.
    It fixed the problem with Internet Explorer and also fixed something else that has been bugging me.

Lately, when I shutdown, one or more Sidebar Gadgets refuse to shut, so I have to force a shutdown. But since uninstalling DFX from Internet Explorer 32-bit, my Sidebar issue is gone.

2 fixes in one. :D

17. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Re: KB2699988 Freezes IE9

Has anyone heard if FXsound is planning to fix the problems?

I guess it doesn't really bother me, as I don't use IE very much, but the sidebar issue is another issue that they need to address.

18. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Re: KB2699988 Freezes IE9

I contacted them via their contact us form a few days ago, soon as I encountered the issue, but have yet to hear back from them. Their support page is still down ("We are in the process of updating our technical support knowledge base. In the meantime, if you need assistance please contact us. Thank you."). And their download version is still at v. 10.137.

:doubt:

19. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

DFX Audio Enhancer v10.138

DFX Audio Enhancer v10.138 has been released.

I can't find a change log, and I haven't tested it yet to see if the problem is fixed.

20. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

Re: DFX Audio Enhancer v10.138

Looks like fxsound just took the easy way out and only removed the Internet Explorer option out of the installer. I started up the 10.138 installer and got as far as selecting the custom install, and after seeing that the IE option was missing, cancelled out, not bothering to install it.

Until they provide some statement or other that they've actually addressed the problem I can't be bothered to fool around with it any longer, especially since I found that it wasn't doing anything with .flv files such as from youtube, even if opened with Media Player or some other player or just played within a browser like Firefox - bringing up up the dfx interface shows no sound-graphs activity at all with flash player files, even tho' the green power light shows it's on.

I installed an old, but latest, version of Breakaway Audio Enhancer (v 130.02) that handles everything (including not breaking IE9), at comparable if not better levels as dfx - unfortunately, it looks like it's not getting any support over the past couple years so it may be orphaned (like its predecessor, Volume Logic; same developer I think, but not certain). Plus it took some finessing so that I wasn't getting bsod's but after finally getting over that hurdle it's working great. Don't know what the future holds with regard to either of these apps what with Win8 coming down the pike, if they'll still be more or less compatible or not.

21. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Re: DFX Audio Enhancer v10.138

And after installing v10.138, the program version is still v10.137. :shifty:

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

23. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

24. bboyer

bboyer Registered Member

FXSound's posting of a 10.138 update that, once installed, continues to report itself as 10.137 probably contributed to the mix-up from MS in the article. Saw in another forum where a user said he just installed 10.137 and reported that there was no option for IE in the custom install listing, so I suspect s/he actually installed the latest 10.138 thinking that it was 10.137 since that's apparently what the pgm reports. OR that FXSound may have just used 10.137 to "fix" the problem and is still pushing that version out under the moniker of 10.138 on the download itself (more likely scenario, probably).

Or, whatever. :)

25. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Thanks to this thread I finally figured out why IE9 freezed on my computer back then and why it isn't now. It didn't come across my mind that DFX being the possible culprit. Waiting for more info/updates on the matter...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.