KB2286198 - NOD32/ESS problem or not?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Denny, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denny

Denny Registered Member

Was telephoned this morning about two systems- XP Pro SP3 w/ ESS 3 & Vista Home Premium w/ ESS 3. Customer stated that after he installed KB2286198, the systems went nuts and his database program would not launch. Have never been to this business and was a first time call. Doing search via Google brought me to Wilders thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278640

I arrived early afternoon, booted to Safe-Mode using Administrator account, which of course had no PW, and proceeded to uninstall KB2286198- rebooted. Again into SM, cleared excessive temp files and other minor house cleaning. Rebooted.

Booted normally, except slowly, with excess chat apps and other inanities, launched MS-Config and fixed that, rebooted and this time better. Downloaded latest ESS, backup client database, which he was now able to use, and then installed ESS. Rebooted, and everything worked fine.

Then turned attention to Vista HP box and basically did the same and while doing so, I update the XP Pro to IE8 and the Vista HP to latest updates earlier than KB2286198. Rebooted both and right back to same problem.

System incredibly sluggish at start, mouse over icons will launch multiple instances, WITHOUT a click, system will not allow proper use of mouse so use TAB keys.

Finally able to do a clean reboot, proceeded to uninstall ALL MS updates that I had installed on Vista HP and uninstalled ALL IE8 patches, then IE8 on XP Pro, rebooted both and back to usability.

Ideas?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

check event viewer logs and on Vista machine run a system health report as well as it might offer more insight

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When reporting an issue, always enclose information about the installed build of the ESET product as well as the build of modules (Help -> About).

4. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

I had this same problem. I think it may have been the update.

EDIT: Just disable NOD32.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. Denny

Denny Registered Member

Marcos,

I usually do, but this time was short on time, and fighting illness. There are too many problems with NOD32 and this MS patch and cannot afford the time but perhaps Friday afternoon I will have the time to do what others have suggested.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Contact Microsoft PC Safety at this Link

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.