kav

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

this message is mainly to jerryM to ask a few question about your setup.

you seem to have a great experience with kav and on your pc it uses less reourse than nod32 which is great.

I am thinking about getting kav and a thrid party firewall but im not sure how much impact it will have on my pc. i dont really want to try one av then try another av on my main pc I would rather find a good one and install it and hope its fine.

1. What firewall do you use with kav?
    2. what spec is your pc if you dont mind me asking
    3. do you have startup scan on and does it slow done startup?
    4. have you had any issues with kav that you have fixed?

thanks in advance
    lodore

woops this was ment to be posted on kaspersky forum

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Lodore,

I don’t have a lot of experience with KAV, but have been using it since late in the beta program. I got a lot of help from Don and the KAV forum. But I can answer at least some of your questions.

My computer is a Dell 4700, Pentium 4, 280 GH, 1 GB Ram.
    I am using LooknStop firewall and have had no conflicts. I have also used it with Bit Defender and NOD FWIW.

I do have the startup scan running, and it does not cause much if any slowdown. However, I have several applications that run or update at startup so it takes a couple of minutes to settle down. I have Win Patrol, SuperAntiSpyware, and Ewido in addition to LnS and KAV. They are all running at startup, and I let them all do their things. It does take about 2 minutes, or a small amount less. I consider that a small price for the security.

I also have all the Proactive Defense shields on.

I have not had any issues with KAV that needed fixing. I have had to ask questions as to what some things mean, or where to find settings and such, but no issues as such that I recall.

I was hesitant to try other AVs when I had Bit Defender, but when I removed it I asked questions about uninstalling the various ones I wanted to try. The replies gave me the confidence to try others. I tried NOD, and the uninstall went smoothly. I had previously uninstalled KAV 5.0 and it caused no problems. I also had no problems with Bit Defender, McAfee, Norton, or Avast. Maybe I have just been very fortunate.

Accordingly, I would suggest you go ahead and trial a couple of AVs to determine what you like the best. At least try NOD along with KAV. If you have trouble uninstalling there is plenty of help on the forums.
    I really liked NOD and almost did not trial KAV6, but am glad I did.

FWIW, I am using a 6 month trial of F-Secure on my laptop, and it runs well. It uses more memory and scans much slower than KAV and NOD, but is an excellent AV.

Hope this helps. Others here have much more experience and knowledge than I do, but maybe I can give the opinion and results of one with less knowledge.
    Hope this helps, and if I can give any other help, please let me know.

Regards,
    Jerry

3. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

Hi,
    I would like to give my view,if you don't mind me telling...:D :D :D
    See Kav is very light on my pc and my friends are die-hard fans of kaspersky and use the internet security...
    I have used their MP1 build two-three times and it had no problems with my outpost 3.51 pro.
    I don't use start-scan as i found it irritating,but even if don't enable it KAV does scan files in the background,but no resource hog.

as for problems the only one i had in my brief experimentation was with updating of AV signatures which corrupted the suite,but if you repair the installation again,it will do the job.

For more info you can always ask don on their forum...

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Start up scan slows the loading of the systray items slightly but I can load Fx while KAV is still scanning so it doesn't bother me. I have KAV set to scan all files, all archives and all embedded OLE objects. I have the scan only new and changed objects UNCHECKED. Yet, with settings like these, I see very little slow down at boot and no slow down while using the computer. I do not use the web anti virus or the email checker. Neither is installed. I have all parts of Pro-Active Defense enabled. I do have a powerful computer (Dell XPS 600, 3.8Ghz Pentium 4, 2GB RAM).

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i will probaly get Kis all in one security app

Last edited: Jul 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.