kav registry tweak

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by clansman77, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

hi all this is my first post allthough i am a regular visitor to the forum here for the past 6 months.i am just posting the registry tweak to disable the startup scan in kav personal pro 5.0.227 in case anybody is interested.i got this from the forums.useice.com which is the unofficial kav support forum.this thing has helped me and many others.so here it is

The registry fix to eliminate scans at startup for Personal 5.0.227 is:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\Components\7]
    "#RunStartup"=dword:00000000

u can create a new dword value as above or just copy the above registry tweak in to notepad rename it to .reg and export it to the registry.hope this helps somebody atleast.i was having slight problems during startup when kav was doing its startupscan and internet update simultaneously.my pc was unreasponsive for about 15 secs or so.i am on dialup and this was a pain.so i applied this tweak and my comp boots faster also.i know from a security point of view disabling the startup scan is not that good.but i do have this optimism that i wont get infected as i have reinforced other areas also i cant find a real good alternative to kav in terms of detection.the tweak is available for personal pro also i think.
    anyway this forum is great and lot of good advice is given here and i have also benefitted from that.the forum has helped me in making the right choices regarding security and i am grateful for that. :) :cool: :cool: :cool:

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

clansman77,

Welcome to Wilders Security Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here, no matter how long it be.

Your tweak should help a lot of users here, but I think many of them would know already. I'm on dialup too, but I use eScan. However, if I used KAV, then I wouldn't be having problems with startup scan because I have 1GB of RAM.

Regarding the forum itself, its been a great experience for me too. I started out on January 2, and by the 30th I was promoted from 'Junior Member' to 'Member'. I wish I'd been here sooner, because I made some very bad purchase decisions in the past (sticking to Norton for 3 years, then going to PC-cillin which was bad at the time, and now to eScan which is good, thank god).

Again, have a very nice day!

Regards,
    Firecat

3. waters

waters Registered Member

hI.
    Does this tweek work for kav 5.0 156.
    thanks

4. waters

waters Registered Member

sorry forgot to add.
    i copied it to notepad but how do i rename and send to registry

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Yes, it will work with KAV Personal. By the way there is a later version of Personal available; 5.0.227.
    Take a look at this thread; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=332481#post332481

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  6. waters

waters Registered Member

thanks for the link but cant find the download.
    does the newer version allow start up scans to be stoped from the settings.
    if not how do i go about finding the registry entry in the registry .
    i am new to all this.

7. Blackcat

8. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

I am still running the KAV 5.0.149....i feel comfortable with it. Does it have registry tweak as well..? :)

9. Blackcat

Tweak should also work with this version.

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

waters,

If you copied it to notepad, then save the file using the 'Save As...' option. Here, in the menu 'save as type' select 'all files' and save your file with the name <filename>.reg. Double click it to send to registry.

11. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks for the information
    You was right. The reason was firefox.
    Changed to internet explorer and found the download

12. clansman77

@waters you can also do it like this way

copy this above value to notepad save it at any location with the extension .reg giving it any name say kavregtweak.reg . then double click it .you may get a prompt whether you want to export the info to registry . click yes and you are done.cool right:cool:

13. MetalDemon

MetalDemon Registered Member

would it be possible to re-enable the startup scan after applying the reg file?

14. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

"#RunStartup"=dword:00000001

That would enable the start up scan

and this would disable it.

15. clansman77

you can open the regedit or any other registry editor and can navigate to the above key created and then can delete the value you created and can thus reenable the startup scan also .just make sure u make a backup of the value u deleted in case u accidently delete any other value .

16. visiting

visiting Guest

Just wondering why you would want to disable the startup scan?

17. Blackcat

18. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm no expert on this subject. I do have a question. If you cut down kavs scanning time at bootup, Could this possibly handicap kav in its trojan detection capabilities? Don't trojans always activate at bootup? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree that kav takes a long time to boot up, and it would be a lot better if bootup time is less. However, if security is compromised by this fix. Would it be worth it? As previously stated, I'm no expert on this. So, what are your thoughts concerning this?

19. Blackcat

Yes, that's why the recommendation is only trying this if your system is clean. But, even if you completely disable the startup scan, the RTM still checks some files on bootup and there is another registry hack which disables the startup scan but not the memory scan. Take your pick.

Overall, most security settings have to achieve a balance between protection and performance.

One of the problems with KAV at present is that on some systems, old and new, the bootup takes a long, long time with the scheduled RTM startup scan. Kaspersky have recognised this in the new Pro version by being able now to disable the scan from within the program.

But since the scan is part of the default settings, Kaspersky obviously recommends the intensive file checking on startup.

As with all AV's, frequent on-demand scans will supplement the protection offered by the Real Time Monitor. And if you have to disable the startup scan but are worried about trojans, a lightweight AT Guard, such as BOClean, and a properly configured firewall, will all form part of your layered defense against such an attack.

Another example of trying to balance protection against performance. Try running Dr Web's SpiderGuard on the additional settings of Run and Open, Create and Write instead of the more lightweight, Smart Scan! Granted the smart setting may give you slightly less protection but at least you can use your machine unlike with the other heavyweight settings!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.