KAV product line:

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by SG1, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Was looking at KAV's apps, as someone mentioned them to me; I wonder,

a) Am I correct in thinking that they have two programs, that have an built-in firewall?

IF it is two apps with firewall, I'd guess that the f'wall's the same in both apps?

b) How is that firewall in doing its job? Is it a separate element from anything else included, with its own controls (& I'd assume the f'wall has log files, etc.)

Anything you can tell me about the above, OR
    anything in gerneral about their products, and how well they work will be appreciated. In short: are these products that you'd buy again, if you had it to do over?

Thanks, for info/opinions,
    SG1 (Pat)

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Maybe this thread should have been over in the Firewalls section?

The two "firewalls" you are referring to;

1. IDS -Intrusion detection system found in KAV Personal/Pro. This stops networks attacks and blocks IP address of an attacker. Further information on this IDS system is found here and here.

BUT as Kaspersky Lab notes;
    2. Kaspersky AntiHacker. Which is a standalone product or is part of Kaspersky Personal Security Suite. It will also be part of the up and coming KIS 2006, which is now in beta.

So overall, the IDS system is a fairly primitive firewall while KAH is a full-blown one. I used KAH in its very early days and IMO, it was not very good. BUT various beta-testers have remarked that it has improved greatly in KIS 2006.

Further information can be obtained over at the KAV forum.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

So yes, KAV Personal and KAV Pro both have a primitive firewall.
    Yes. the IDS system.
    You can disable/not install the IDS system in both programs. You have more control over AH which is present in the Personal Suite or in the KIS 2006 beta.
    Most people do not buy KAV Personal/Pro for the IDS protection system. But it will be a different matter with the up and coming KIS 2006 ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.