KAV P Pro Virgin User Question ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by StevieO, Sep 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Today i took the plunge and installed the KAV AV Personal Pro V 5.0.383 30 day trial.

So far it's early days, well hours actually !

The install went 100% as smooth as silk, as did the very fast update on rebooting.

I really like the attractive GUI, and found it very easy to navigate and very quick to set up, even though i went through all the panels. In fact i would say it's the nicest and easiest and fastest AV i have installed and configured to date !

I have manually configured everything for user Prompt action, and disabled NTFS on all the options to do so, as i am not running XP etc.

I have excluded a few folders from scanning etc, where i have some security Tests/Apps and the like stored, which would otherwise trigger an alert etc.

So far nothing untoward to report, Except i have one question.

After a reboot i get an alert from ZA saying KAV is asking for SERVER permission, which i allow. Why is wanting to do this ? I thought it might be for the updates, but I have set the update for manual, and no schedule scan either.

Thanks in advance,

StevieO

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi StevieO

You can safely uncheck the serverrights in ZA, Kav doesn't need this, i don't know why ZA reports this, it is the only firewall that does this to my knowledge.

You seem to have almost everything covered, as you have noticed, it's possibly the easiest AV on the market to configure, there are a few tips i would to make you aware of: As a ZA user you should disable the networkprotection in Kav ASAP if you haven't already:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/7911/14wn.png

If you decide the buy it, you can in fact disable both the networkprotection & iStreams which you have no need for since don't use NTFS when you install it:

You will during the install encounter this window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/1415/k47hg.jpg

Here you uncheck "Operate according to recommended settings", click next and proceed to the next window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/6915/k58gf.jpg

Here you uncheck "Use real-time protection against network attacks" (this is also where you disable the iStreams technology, if you so wish), click next and finish the install as you would normally do.

Important: IDS is a part of the firewall, and it cannot replace a fully functional firewall on your computer. Kaspersky Labs recommends you to use this system (Intrusion Detection System) only if you do not have a personal firewall on your PC. In order to have full control over network activity on your computer (control over applications' network activities, packet filtering) we recommend to use a fully functional personal firewall

You should also be aware that you can upgrade to the full suite version 2006 when it is released probably in jan 2006. :)

3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/2919/kavset13jq.png

Hi don,

I didn't realise that the Network protection was a sort of simple FW, i thought it was some kind of extra security ! I did have it enabled on install, but since you pointed it out i have unchecked it. That's probably why i got this alert on reboot from my Watcher App. I knew it was ZA connected due to the vsconfig listing. I googled and decided it was safe, but still didn't know what it meant.

An invalid character was found in text content. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/vsconfig.xml'. Line 1, Position 553

LDBX

I'm not sure what the IChecker is as i thought that the ( i ) technology was just for NTFS, as in IStreams ? I had a look on KAV's website, http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?chapter=168839821&qid=156636746 but it's NOT clear what IChecker has to do with FAT32, or what it's for ! Anyway i have it enabled, is this Correct/Wise ?

I also noticed this here http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=168959931

Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal PRO 5.0.388: Corrected errors and enhancements

Kaspersky Lab released a new Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 Personal PRO version. Full version number is 5.0.388. You will find the list of corrected errors and enhancements below:

I can't figure why i didn't recieve the latest version when i DL today ? Mine is 5.0.383

Thanks for your response and advice.

StevieO

4. Don Pelotas

Hi StevieO

I would keep iChecker enabled, it does unlike iStreams work on fat32, it uses a central database.

The reason you didn't get updated to 5.0.388 is because Kaspersky does not update the program via auto update, you have to either uninstall or install ontop, i always use the first option, but they do in fact make a version specific for installing ontop, it the one without databases (half the size).

If you wish to try 5.0.388, then can download it here and use the trial-key i have attached. :)

Please uninstall the trial first.

Link to trial-key:http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=1360

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi don,

iChecker staying enabled as per your advice !

I was initially wondering why the DL from the Genuine KAV site didn't automatically send me the new V 5.0.388 by default, instead of my 5.0.383. Now i think i see that V 5.0.388 isn't usually a trial version, but an update once you have registered.

Thanks very much for the Key which i may use after i get used to this version.

I have permanently denied Server access in ZA with no apparent side effects.

I notice a slightly longer delay on boot, and sometimes also when Starting/Accessing things, but i guess that's just KAV doing it's thing. No biggy i can live with that assurance any day !

Thanks again,

StevieO

6. StevieO

StevieO Guest

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5829/zakav1a6zu.png

Hi again,

Everything appears to be fine, apart from two issues.

Firstly as in my screen shot KAV still keeps asking for server access through ZA Free on boot. Even though i have excluded it, and also clicked on Always Deny, it reappears and i have to always click the box again as ZA doesn't save this setting. All my other settings in ZA are saved and work perfectly ?

Also on boot the floppy drive gets scanned twice, the only drive i have enabled for Scan is the HD ?

On a more positive note, the CPU % for both KAV.EXE and KAVSVC.EXE is on average only 1%.

StevieO

7. Don Pelotas

Can't help you with ZA, haven't use it myself for several years, sorry.

It's the startup scan, if you really want to get rid of it, you can disable it in: "On-demand scan tasks" > "Scan at system startup" "Properties" > startup objecs " > " Configure" > "Schedule" uncheck this one click ok and reboot. The reason it is hidden so good, is probably because Kaspersky consider it an important element of the protection. :)

8. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Why u dont accept it as a server? so and so is not acting as a server (as i have read)

9. Don Pelotas

That's probably what i would do too, because if you can't trust your AV, then what can you trust. :)

10. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi Don and Stephanos,

It's not that i think KAV is up to anything fishy trying to act as some kind of Server. I can understand it maybe wanting to act as a Local Server like some other genuine Apps such as PGP. The thing that puzzles me though is why it want's to Access the Internet via ZA ? As i mentioned earlier it's not for Updates as i set this to manual !

Following your guidance i went into, Scan at system startup. It's a pity there is no Option to exclude just the Floppy if people wish. I wasn't worried about it, it's more of a noise polution thing lol.

Thanks to both of you,

StevieO

11. StevieO

StevieO Guest

A new question about detection.

When i try to download something to play with that's in KAV's database, it stops about 99% of the way through and pops up an option box. I click to skip any deleting action etc, but KAV loses it for me anyway.

This happened today with a LeakTest. Why doesn't KAV do what i tell it to do ?

TIA

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.