KAV for WS 5 Beta 3

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by izi, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Thanks Izi!

Just downloaded it to give it a try. I had tried, I guess, an earlier beta version and ran into a few problems and had to wipe my hard drive - no great loss really - but since I've set my system up with a second bootable drive ready to go at any time, I'm feeling a bit feisty.

Since I already run KAV WS on all my home PC's - this is the one I'd be moving to.

One thing I noticed is that under exclusions one can turn on and off iChecker and iStreams technology. Although it's hard to find the info - I assume this is the alternate data streams feature that has drawn some fire from the KAV 5.0 Personal folks - can anyone else shed light on this? I've attached a shot from the config dialog. Is this a lot different than KAV Personal? I've turned them off for now although that's not the KL recommended config and it will lengthen scan times.

Blue

Attached Files:

3. rug

rug Guest

What is difference between the WS version and the personal?

4. BlueZannetti

In the world of KAV 4.5, the main difference between WS and Personal is network based support for scanning and administration. No real difference in essential functionality. I ended up getting WS from ICE Systems (one of the US KAV distributors) since the Business Optimal package is how volume discounts were made available and I was setting up 4 (now 5) machines. The other difference is that KAV WS is available only with a 1 year license while Personal and Pro can be purchased with 2 year license keys at a bit of a discount on a per year basis. Cost per unit is the same for KAV WS and Personal from ICE Systems right now - although I notice that the minimum number of KAV WS licenses available directly from Kaspersky labs is now 5 (it was 2 when I purchased about 9 months ago, but you can get them in single license quantities from ICE)

The other thing I've noticed in KAV WS 5.0 is that the beta release has Office Guard in it, which was one of the added features of in Pro version. I don't recall the other features that differentiated the Personal and Personal Pro versions, but if the beta release is a good indication of the final feature set, KAV 5.0 WS is definitely upgraded from the 4.5 version package, but I assume that it will trail Pro in features.

It will be interesting to see how KL positions the Personal, Personal Pro, and WS products when all of them are available.

Blue

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

So what's the verdict guys? Fairly stable? If it looks good, we might see Personal Pro released soon.

Like the tweakability. Sucking up a lot of RAM though. I think I'll stick with Personal for the near term. Hopefully Personal Pro will be out soon.

Last edited: May 29, 2004
  6. BlueZannetti

Well, it's hard to tell on one days performance - but it has cycled through the updating, my nightly scan, an initial complete scan of the entire computer (750,000+ files in 2.5 hours), and all the applications that I'll typically use.

So far no incompatibility noted. Either my memory is failing a bit, I missed a couple of settings on the initial configuration, or some of the settings that I specified were not persistent. I typically set the both the realtime monitor and system scan to look at infectable files only - I either didn't set the realtime monitor properly or that entry was reset to all files. That's the only problem I've seen thus far and that could have been my mistake. If it's an issue it will crop up again.

My system - a 2.8 GHz P4 with 768 Mb RAM running ProcessGuard, Outpost Pro 2.1, NOD32 as a demand scanner, and TDS-3 on demand. No issues thus far with any of these apps.

My impression so far is very favorable and so far its stable.

Blue

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Anyone figure out how to download from the extended DB with this version of KAV?

8. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

try downloading(copying )the ext base folder from the kav ftp site on to your PC and set update to update from local folder(ie one copied to your machine)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.