KAV Firewall

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by I who know nothing, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Since KAV now functions as a firewall as well as an av can we turn off our XP firewall?

They seem to be functioning together without problem but am wondering how much resources the XP firewall is using.

2. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

KAV is *NOT* a firewall - better using resources with XP firewall than get hacked. Better yet, get a *proper* firewall like Kerio/Sygate/Outpost/LooknStop.. etc...

Fedorov.

3. Diver

Diver Guest

I think it is not possible to make categorical statements about the KAV network protection module. With the stealth/invisible option turned on it does pass shields-up. Unfortunately, this option will not allow any server (P2P) activity as there are no program or port exceptions, a major limitation in my opinion. The XP SP2 security center does not recognize it as an installed firewall. Turning it off has little effect on memory usage either real or virtual, so you might as well leave it on if there are no conflicts with other applications. Finally, if you have a NAT, you probably do not need a software firewall. Some of them are real pigs on resources.

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

its a very limited firewall at present. might as well turn it off, and i dont thnik its intended to be a firewall at all at present, but perhaps more of a test prototype for some future project, maybe a kaspersky internet security thing (urgh) or maybe some ip blocking system - like if theres a know ip thats spewing out attacks, or an ip where a certain malware connects to get updates - that will be blocked. i dunno, just guessing

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

From Kav 5.0 helpfile:
    If it doesn't give you any trouble, then i would leave the network-protection on, i've had one ip-address blocked despite having a firewall. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.