kav & f-secure questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jocera, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jocera

jocera Registered Member

i have kaspersky personal pro installed as my av. my wife just got f-secure coz she says she's been reading about people having backup av and since i'm always on the net she decided to get one for me. i've read up a little on f-secure and i know it uses 3 engines, one of them being the kav engine.

wondering, is it safe to install f-secure since i already have kaspersky, wouldn't that just be redundant?

also, kind of another topic but i'm using winME. i just visited the virus bulletin website. what does it mean when the av fails on your particular os but passes on everything else? does it mean it should only be used for the passing os's?

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

The advantage of the two additional scan engines of F-Secure is more theoretical as many tests showed (difference <1% better). So if you want to have a 'backup scanner' I would suggest to use something which is not based on the KAV engine because if KAV misses malware the change that F-Secure miss this as well is extreme high because the good detection rate of F-Secure is mainly coming from the KAV engine.

No. The reason why an av program to miss a vb award can be one (or more) of the following reasons:

1. Bug in regard to the special OS
    2. Generally missed ITW virus (OS independent)
    3. False positive (OS independent)

So without reading the issue of vb magazin besites the test you don't know which of the three points was the reason for missing the ITW award.

wizard

3. jocera

jocera Registered Member

wizard, thank you for the info... i always learn something new from reading the posts in this forum :)

would you know if the kav engine in f-secure uses the same virus updates as kaspersky personal pro? if so, maybe i should just uninstall kaspersky and go with f-secure only?

4. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Yes F-Secure uses the same signatures as KAV but they update less frequent. F-Secure updates daily while Kaspersky releases sometimes 2 to 3 updates a day. But I think that should not make that much difference.

My suggestion is: Uninstall KAV (but keep your keyfile stored savely in a different folder) and try F-Secure for some days. Than you can decide which one suits you best. Your level of malware protection compared to KAV could not be worse with F-Secure.

As you use the KAV Pro version you might want install afterwards only the two additional KAV Pro components Office Guard and Inspector. I think these are two nice tools and would not make any complications when are installed together with F-Secure.

wizard

5. jocera

jocera Registered Member

ok, thank you for your suggestions :)

6. Luthorcrow

Luthorcrow Registered Member

I run AVP Personal (switching to pro update time) on a Wk2 Sp3 system. I have tried F-Secure but it didn't like my system so we parted ways. But to me having a 2nd AV for backing scanning and not active monitoring, is like getting another doctor for a 2nd opinion. To me having F-Secure backing AVP is like ask a person's brother what they think of that person's actions. I would go for a program that takes a totally different approach and has very high ratings.

I would suggest NOD32 or Dr.Web. Plus the added benifit of NOD32 is that the scan should take less than 15 with all the trimmings.

7. jocera

jocera Registered Member

yup i agree, i would have loved it if my wife bought an AV with a non kav engine so i wouldn't feel like my AV's were redundant, but the problem is she already bought f-secure. i guess i could try to convince her to try to get her money back and get another AV :)

but i don't think she'd be happy i returned her gift ;)

8. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I think you have found the most important criteria for measuring how good an antivirus package is... "Yes dear, f-secure is the best!! Thank you!!" :D

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

:D yep, I guess you'd best stick to it :) and being serious its a damn fine av.

10. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

as far as backups go, you can use free online tests, which is what i do. i have recently been enlightened to the fact that kav and kav-based programs offer superior protection, and so i am now considering making the switch. kav and f-secure are both highly rated (in MY mind) :)

11. its-meee

its-meee Guest

i would say..stick with AVP...thats the best..why change when you are running it for some time now??

12. its-meee

its-meee Guest

sorry forgot to mention...
    you can check out the avti virus testing results and see for youself how good AVP is..
    the link is posted in this same forum.

13. jocera

jocera Registered Member

LowWaterMark... lol.. my wife is unbelievably moody but she is also unbelievably sexy (not kidding) and if i did something "rude" like return her gift... oh man i'd be in siberia for the next 2 weeks... can't handle that, i'm still young, lol :)

sorry ot :)

seriously, thanks for the info guys i really appreciate it... i'm happy to see that both kav and f-secure are thought of as very good av's... i'll use both... one as backup :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.