kav extended bases

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the mul, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I was just wondering if anyone was using kav extended bases and what do u think of the added bases, do u have any false positives with the new bases added, or do u find that everything is ok.
    I want to give it a go, but I would like some input on this first, before trying out the new bases.

Many thanks

:D THE MUL :D

2. muf

muf Registered Member

I have been using them for over a year. I just wouldn't consider going back to normal definition's. The extended bases cover other malware as well as viruses and trojans. In the main i use them because they protect from known exploits. I have had about a dozen alerts from exploits which the normal bases would not have picked up. I am talking about the extended bases and not the x-bases. There is a difference. The x-bases are too much for the home user. They pick up application's that are sometimes useful, but KAV x-bases targets them because they can also be used for nefarious uses.

As of this post, there are 102704 normal definition's. With the extended bases there are 107002. An extra 4298 malware definition's.

muf

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Mul

I have used them for 2-3 month's, haven't seen a false positive yet. :)

Regards

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Thanks for the info,I will only be using the extended bases and not the x bases as I read this is for experienced people anyway and not for the average user.
    One last question, should I add -ext/ to all the update url below.

THANKS

THE MUL

Attached Files:

5. Don Pelotas

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  6. westwind

westwind Registered Member

"_x" would be more than " _ext"

7. MaLaKiOs

MaLaKiOs Registered Member

Hi,
    Can anyone please explain to me (and for some other people as well) what the extended bases mean ? What do they do ?
    I have KAV Personal Pro 5.0.14. Can i add them too ? And if yes...can you please explain how to add them as i am a newbie to these things ?

Thank you very much in advance.

8. Don Pelotas

MaLaKiOs, use the link in post nr. 5. It's explained in detail there.:)

EDIT: I see that you use the new Pro, is not possible to use extended database in the first version, but it will acording to Kaspersky be implemented in maintenance pack 1, probably out before new year, as many have complained that it's possible in Personal and not in Pro. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  9. Don Pelotas

Yes westwind ´the "supersecure" will detect even more, but is not recommended for the average user. :)

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Extended data bases cover spyware but they can give false positives. I'm using a HP machine and KAV went and deleted a perfectly valid program, called Terminater.exe, which is used by HP as part of it's System Recovery procedure (it halts running progs while they are being replaced from disc).
    I switched off extended data bases after that - I just hope I don't have to do a system recovery! :doubt:

11. Socio

Socio Registered Member

For pro users, I have not tried it yet but read a post and the poster said that you could download the extended database to a folder on your system and then point KAV pro there and it would update with the downloaded extended database.

I would think you would have to download the ext databases at least daily to keep semi current though which would be a pain.

12. botzap

botzap Registered Member

I use the extended database on v4.5 Pro. It's great. Actually, I use the _x (SuperSecure). It may be considered overkill, but I haven't seen a false positive yet. :D

For more info:
    http://www.kaspersky.com/extraavupdates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.