KAV enters endless loop....

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Rui, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi all

I have 4.5 Personal Pro. Yesterday, when performing my weekly system scan, KAV (avp32 version 4.0.5.37) KAV stucka at a certain point (12%) and begins an endless loop, scanning always the same directory files.
    Is this a know issue?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
    Rui

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Do you have the latest version? I think the latest version of Personal Pro is Version 4.5.0.94. Go update.

Were you doing anything else while the scan was occuring? If so, don't.

Have you done anything to the registry?

Installed anything since the previous scan where things were working? Any new security software?

Do you have more than 1 AV program installed? If so, uninstall the other one. Only a couple AV programs get along well and IMO you only need one, especially if the primary is KAV.

IIf that doesn't work, 'd say uninstall, clean out the registry, reboot and reinstall. Somehow the installation might have been corrupted.

3. SKA

SKA Registered Member

PMFJI
    > Only a couple AV programs get along well and IMO you only need one, especially if the primary is KAV.<
    May I ask - which 2 AVs you mean ?
    Thx, respectfully, SKA

4. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi tazdevl

Thanks for your reply and suggestions!

I did nothing to the Registry before this problem occurred.

The only application I installed previously was BHODemon beta version 2.0.0.6, but I do not believe this is the culprit, as it only reads a specific REgistry section (that one of the BHOs, of course).

I know I have an oudated KAV version. I had not made the update yet because Igor Kurzin, from KL, told me that if the version I had (4.0.5.37)was functioning well in my system (in fact, it was, t that time), there was no significant advantage in upgrading to version 4.0.5.94, and that it would be better to wait for new KAV 5 Pro, which I think will be released near the end of this year.

I also think that, somehow, the installation may have been corrupted. I am going to donload KAV Pro latest version, and see how it behaves.

I'll Keep you posted about the results

Thanks again!

5. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi

Took the opportunity to upgrade my KAV Pro 4.5 to version 4.5.0.94, which includes now avp32.exe v. 4.5.0.95, an d the problem persists. When performing an on demand scan, KAV gets stuck at directory "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local definitions\Application Data".
    Any more ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Rui

6. noone

noone Guest

Have you tried checking the filesystem for errors?

7. tazdevl

No problemo. More than happy to help.

Did Igor stated Personal Pro before the end of the year or is that your guess?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Rui, first do one thing, exclude that directory from scanning and scan the entire system. as you were unable to perform a full system scan and you've recently upgraded your AV its necessary that you run a full system scan. if everything goes well then remove that excluded directory and scan only that directory. probably the AV will get stuck again.

now by excluding subfolders and files, scan the rest of that directory. by using that method try to localize your problem. when i had NAV 2004 Pro i used this method to find the cause of a fatal failure which was the setup program of WINRAR. anyway if you have such file send it for analysis and exclude it from scan.

also by looking at the report you can see which file caused the problem.

dear Tazdevl, as its the Pro version i guess if they want to launch it they'll start the BETA test probably from Aug.

9. tazdevl

Yup, I've managed plenty of betas, figured that. My question centered more around whether or not it was Igor that stated end of year for Personal Pro 5.0 or it was Rui's best guess.

Regardless, it just defies logic that Personal Pro would make it out so late after Personal. Beta 3 for Workstation 5.0 is out. I'd assume, admin features aside, that the two products (WS and Pro) would parallel one another.

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

well lets see what happens. anyway Rui can you give the details of that folder if it isn't personal? i guess its LOCAL SETTINGS not LOCAL DEFINATIONS.

11. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Dear tazdevl and AMRX

Concerning KAV Pro 5.0, Igor once sent me an-e-mail message telling that the Personal Pro version would be released a few months after the Personal one. On the other hand, I have read in another forum dedicated to KAV users that Lisa (from KL-UK) expected it to be released in last quarter of the year. So, it's not my guess at all. :)

The only way I had to solve the problem was making a restore with the help of Acronis True Image. KAV doen't get stuck anymore in my system disk, but stucks in my other disk. Curiously, and to answer AMRX question, KAV was getting stuck at "C:\Documents and Settings1Administrator\Local definitions\Application data\Macromedia" - Yes,AMRX, it was Local definitions. This time, it got stuck at "D:\Downloads\Macromedia". I gues KAV doesn't go along very well with Macromedia products. :).

So, I erased thatl Macromedia folder in disk D, and tried do to perform an on demand scan, wich went with no problems.

After posting this, I am going to try again the upgrade to v. 4.5.0.94 and see how it goes, as the restotration process has put me back with version 4.5.0.37 again. I'll be posting the result in a short while

Thank you again AMRX and tazdevl for your help!

Rui

12. Rui

Rui Registered Member

Hi tazdevl and AMRx

Upgraded to version 5.5.0.94 sucessfully and performed an on demand scan. All went well. Probably, in fact, Macromedia and KAV don't go along very well... ;)
    Thanks again for your kind help
    Rui

13. tazdevl

Glad to hear it's running. Probably one, the other or both somehow got corrupted. If Flash wasn't updated lately and you didn't have it set for autoupdate, there's been a couple updates, maybe an incompatibility occurred.

I'd bet you'd be OK if you reinstalled Flash. Then again, I uninstalled it because of all the damn Flash ads out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.