KAV+Comodo or KIS inc. FW?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bugsy_pal, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

I have been trialling KAV and I like it. I'm running Kerio 4.2.3 and it's been pretty good, but I've finally decided to move away from it after repeated BSODs caused by fwdrv.sys.

I read that Comodo and the KIS firewall both do very good jobs on leaktests. I haven't tried either of these firewalls yet (and I haven't tried KIS rather than KAV).

Now I imagine that Comodo would have more options than the firewall in the KIS suite. However, I'm concerned that Comodo may not play well with KIS, and have noted some views that Comodo is buggy. Any opinions on this?

Also, I read a thing in a Scot Finnie newsletter where he says that KIS is buggy and bloated - yet people here have reported good experiences, and low resource usage for the KIS firewall. Not sure what to believe, but I think Scot Finnie does come off sounding more knowledgeable than he is on some things...

I'd welcome any comments - I haven't heard a lot of views about the KIS firewall...

2. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have KAV and Comodo installed on one of my machines it seems to work fine. I only really set this up to try comodo no real compliants. Might switch back to Outpost at some point.....

I have not tried KIS since beta a couple of months back - I never had any problems with it being very buggy at that stage so I guess it is better now. I still quite like KIS - but on balance prefer a separate firewall. I prefer KIS over Fsecure IS at this point in time but ....

In terms of leaktest look here http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php

remember outpost, Comodo, Jetico etc have had revisions

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had Kav and Comodo byt really didnt like Comodo. Switched to KIS, and do not regret it. After spending sometime training antihacker, my system is a lot more responsive with this set up.

4. bugsy_pal

Thanks - I've just installed KIS 6 and my system is running pretty lean and smooth. I'll start getting Anti-hacker trained and see how it goes.

The firewall interface is a bit different from what I'm used to with Kerio, but it seems intuitive enough.

5. gevin

gevin Registered Member

i will opt for KIS, since it will use less resource as compare to KAV+CPF, for a almost same good protection. plus no/less issue on compatibilities.

i am very suprise that KIS use just 2 process, same as KAV. GREAT!

6. bugsy_pal

So far KIS including firewall is performing well on my system. Probably a very slight slowdown on some browsing activities, but I have all HTTP scanning turned on.
    I like the firewall interface - perhaps a bit different to what I have been used to with Kerio. I just have to get a better understanding of what the various application blocking options are. I was a bit surprised that it automatically set up rules on installation for some of my applications - I would prefer to do most of it myself, but I guess a lot of those processes that are part of Windows i would not know much about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.