KAV *based* scanners as 1st and other as 2nd : Opinion

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by no13, Nov 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Which combo is preferable...
    1. A KAV based scanner as 1st (resident) and other as backup (on demand).
    2. Both 1st and 2nd as KAV based.
    3. Neither KAV based --->Not really, just an option for those who don't like KAV.

Please mention which combo, which AVs as part of it and why....
    Examples...

Code:
    I like both as KAV based... [b]KAV Pro v5 [/b]as [b]1st [/b]and [b]eScan 2003 ISS [/b]as [b]2nd[/b]
    OR
    Code:
    I use [b]McAfee VirusScan Corp 7.0[/b] as [b]on-access [/b]scanner and
      [b]eScan 2003 free (KAV engine) [/b]as [b]On-demand [/b]scanner
    Please mention whenever its a KAV based scanner (say Extendia AVK or eScan) 'coz for most part, I can't. And also stuff like version no., variant (pro or not) and the major reason you reccommend it (eg. NOD for speed, KAV for thoroughness etc.)

I've been assailed by queries from some students as to what AV would give 'em... "Best Protection"... (yeah, like I have any clue)... And all I have is my NAV2004 which I got from a bundle for free... so naturally, I now turn to a *sort* of opinion poll.

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I prefer McAfee as the realtime scanner and eScan Free as the main backup av. Why, VSE 8.0i runs so smooth and eScan Free has already over 110 000 definitions. Secondly, the best possible runtime packer av's combo.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  3. no13

hey FF... why not use eScan paid or Kav paid as main scanner ... my guess is too much system drag. What about KAV's database?

4. c0ltran3

c0ltran3 Registered Member

I prefer MacAfee + escan free as I think escan free is quite good.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Most people agree that Kaspersky-based engines offer the best protection and with the sites that most students visit, they definitely need top-notch protection.

However, Kaspersky-engined AV's can have an appreciable effect on the performance of computers, particularly older ones. This is particularly important to those students who are on-line gamers.
    1. You do not need 2 KAV-based scanners installed. Overkill.

2. If a KAV-engined AV runs without slowing down your machine, just run with this AV by itself.

I only run 2 AV's on one of my machines which I use, amongst other things, to download malware. In addition this computer is the only one the kids are allowed to use when they come back home.

3. If the KAV-engined AV slows you down too much when run as the primary scanner, use one of the low footprint AV's ( Dr Web, F-Prot, Command, NOD ) as the main scanner with KAV as backup.

Overall, instead of concentrating about AV combinations, think about installing one AV and supplementing this, if needed with high-risk sites, with an on-line AV scanner or with an AntiTrojan program.

In addition are these students willing to pay for this protection or not? This will obviously influence what we can suggest here in respect of free or commercial scanners?

Students need a cheap, preferably free AV, which gives maximum protection against both trojans and viruses/worms and has a negligible effect on system resources. I am still looking for this Holy Grail as well!!

6. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

KAV is so expensive compared to the others.

I remember that KAV 4.5 has that 110 000 only with the paranoid update settings (_x in the end of update URL).

Correct me if I remember wrong.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. no13

well... most of these students are those with deeper pockets than mine (yeah... really... rich students do exist!)
    Just one plays online games. All have P4 HT processors with 512 mb ram... yada yada yada. Its just poor me stuck on low resources (2.66 Ghz p4 is "low" to these guys!!!) and no money (hence NAV)
    Didn't F-Prot use KAV engine? or was it F-secure? And F-Prot isn't very configuarble I hear... wonder how that will affect these guys...

How can I? I didn't know that!!!

8. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am using MKS_vir as my real time scanner and Extendia AVK single ($9.95) engine as my on demand scanner. My comp runs very robust with MKS as my RTS and and I run scheduled system scans about every other day with AVK.
    This is a combo that has worked very well for me.

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Read about it here , this is for 4.5. In 5.0 personal you simply choose it (extended) via option's in the updater. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.