KAV 7 - polymorphic or repacked trojans

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ChrisP, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

Will KAV 7 detect polymorphic trojans or trojans which have been repacked?

2. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

I don't think KAV would have much problem with repacked trojans as they are one of the best antiviruses (if not the best) when it comes to unpacking.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

yes they will no problem

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

That's kind of a bold statement.

Every AV staggers against packers. KAV is no exception.

5. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

offcourse. They all are in war with viruses as well. But bottom line it will protect you. V8 will even have better protection against the packers

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

I remember back when trojans and anti-trojans were all the rage, I tried packing trojans a few different packers and scanning them with KAV Norton Mcafee and Panda.

Norton didn't pick up any of them. I remember Panda and Mcafee wasn't that good. KAV unpacked them all though.

Obviously they were just amateurish musings but my point is that KAV was always strong with packers.

7. ChrisP

ChrisP Suspended Member

I have now removed KAV from my PC as it made it run so slow / not at all. I now have F-Secure 5.4 for Workstations with Superantispyware, AVG Anti-Spyware and Unhackme. Even with all these running, its faster than with Kaspersky!

8. solcroft

Using already-available packers to modify trojans are the most amateurish way to do so. Real malware use custom-created or hand-modified packers created in-house specifically for this purpose that antivirus vendors have never seen before, and some packers are even polymorphic. That's where the real test is.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

The truth is however different. There are only few packers that are actually made from scratch (those custom made, in-house and stuff), other 99% of them are just modifications of existing ones.

10. solcroft

That was actually what I said.

And modification by hand is often enough to do the trick anyway. I wouldn't rate Kaspersky as excellent in this area, but it has to be admitted that it's better than many others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.