KAV 6.0 MP1 vs NAV 2007

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Littlemutt, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

NAV 2006 was indeed an improvement over NAV 2005, but tge problem is still awful "support: from Symantec.

Symantec dropper its user forums several years ago. Heck, if Kasperky can justify fourms, surely so can Symantec.

Sending email to support oft results in a totally inept response, in some cases, they do not even READ the question.

And have you tried telephoning to get info.
    Perhaps, things have changed recently, but the folkes on the phone were worse than the one with email, and just try tp maintain a telephone connection with their "support".

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you will get no arguement from me on their lousy support. It really stinks. But in many years of norton use I have never had to call them on a software problem. I contacted them on a problem with a bad cd and they sent me a replacement right away after I finally got hold of them. But they do need to do something about their support or the lack of it.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Agree :thumb: I've had problems with Norton too over the years, but have had no problems trailing the 2007 version on serval computers.

To the answer of which is best, I dont know. Both Kav & Nav are great top of the line products IMO :thumb:

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i couldnt have said it better myself :)

5. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed KAV 6 again tonight after not using it for some time. I don't know what happened, but wow, what a difference in performance since the last time I had it running on my computer. The thing I really noticed was, with the HTTP scanner enabled, my browsing speeds are not affected any more. The last time I had KAV 6 installed, I had to disable the HTTP scanning. I've always liked KAV 6, except for the HTTP scanner problem. This is a very pleasant surprise. :D

As far as comparing KAV 6 to NAV 2007, it's like night and day. NAV 2007 slows down my computer so much at initial startup and reboots, that it seems to take forever for everything to load. To be fair, browsing speeds were not affected with NAV 2007 installed. That's just my experience with it, yours may be different. :)

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@BigC
    I'm with you.
    Happy with NAV/NIS out of the box.
    Skipped from 2005 to 2007. VCheap to upgrade for me.
    Uninstall/reinstall was relatively painless by following directions and a bit of manual "picking out": much easier than previous versions.
    Installed the add-on with no problem.
    Appreciate that the FW may not be "best of breed", but cant set-up something like Core-Force, dont want ZA, LNS might be too tricky?.
    Dont want to drivel on about comparisons: had my issues with ESET and KAV

Interface is now a bit of a fiddle: interesting how hard it is to simplify a GUI.

Overall no problems and can fill any gaps with fun tools like CH, SSM, PG DW GB BZ ASE or PX etc, without ANY apparent conflicts so far.
    Heh; can make me feel like I'm actually knowing something, lol.

BUT:
    (I know this is not a Symantec discussion)
    I am with Howard:
    (i) I want the silly little Norton Protection Centre icon gone
    AND
    (ii) I too have disabled Auto-updates and still the update services run "spontaneously" on some unknown schedule: annoyance.

OT but any knowledge as to how to fix (i) & (ii) ??
    time for a symantec thread?
    Wonder if they would come here? Got any contacts?
    Regards

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have you looked in the NAV folder in program files to see if you can find the protection center icon. if it is there just delete it. I have done this with several apps and it has always worked. But do it at your own risk.

8. Howard Kaikow

You can always kill most/many process, but with software as intrusive as Symantecm te risk may be greater.

Not to mention, when there is a program update, Live Update would probably restart the process, if not sooner.

9. Howard Kaikow

If misery loves company, you have made me happy to know that I am not alone in my sufferings with NAV.

The ONLY reason I use NAV is because it is available free, or at a very low price, afte rebates.

I have found at least one bug in HAV 6 and an issue with changing outlook.pst file sizes. My musings are in the forum over at Kasperky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.