KAV 6.0 misses viruses found by Kaspersky Online Scan?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pixellated, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixellated

pixellated Registered Member

After years of using McAfee products (and occasionally AVG's free version), I'm looking for a better replacement. I decided I'd try/compare NOD32 & KAV, based on how much people on these forum have recommended them.

I installed a trial of NOD32, and my Win XP machine did not boot completely. (It hung up on a blue screen showing just a cursor), so I was pretty unhappy with that experience. I was able to go into Safe Mode, and uninstall. My computer booted correctly again after this.

I thought "I suppose I have to go with Kaspersky, after all." First I tried the Kaspersky Online Scan. It found a number of viruses which McAfee had never found. I was impressed. Of course, the Online Scan detects, but does not delete.

I downloaded & installed the KAV 6.0 trial, and did a full scan using the recommended/default settings.

Two things surprised & disappointed me. 1) KAV 6.0 took MUCH longer to scan than the online scan. Is that to be expected? (I was scanning with KAV 6.0 in Safe Mode.) 2) The shocker was that two virused were detected and deleted, but three more which were detected by the online scan were not detected by KAV 6.0. :(

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice?

2. pykko

pykko Registered Member

pixellated...did you installed corectly your NOD32 ?
    Perhaps McAfee left some traces that didn't let your NOD32 install properly. I think you should give it another chance. ;)
    Try to install it and eventually to clean those viruses left on your machine by KAv. It's strange the online scan detect something your KAV installed didn't pick.
    Do you have your version of KAV updated with the latest defs?

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

First of all, no it should most definitely not take longer than the online scanner. Second, turn the settings in "Scan my computer" to High and do a full scan by rightclicking on the tray-icon and choose "Scan my computer and do it in normalmode.:)

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Online scanner can be more up to date as it's located on KL servers. Local AV needs another step in between and that step is you.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When installing NOD32 you might want to try leaving AMON and IMON disabled during installation and enable them later if the install goes well. Frankly, I haven't heard about anyone having run into such a problem, there must be a conflict with another driver / program, I can also imagine this could be caused by defective RAM.

6. pixellated

Thanks, everyone for the quick feedback.

I am interested in giving NOD32 another chance, as it has such a stellar reputation.

I uninstalled McAfee VirusScan & Security Center through the Windows Control Panel's "Add or Remove Programs." Now that I think about it, when I rebooted after the McAfee uninstall, my firewall (Zone Alarm Free) caught what seemed to be a McAfee-related program trying to dial out.

Any tips on getting rid of the last dregs of McAfee since it apparently didn't uninstall cleanly. (Now I have one more reason to be glad I no longer support them. We recently installed the latest McAfee Suite on three computers and it caused problems on all three. :thumbd: Very disappointed in their AV products.)

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are absolutely right but only in Normal Mode of Windows .
    Most antiviruses (including NOD32 and Kaspersky) scan a little bit slower when in Safe Mode . This happens on all computers I have ever touched :D

HiTech_boy

8. pykko

pykko Registered Member

pixellated I was sure Mcafee didn't uninstall properly. Try to use this in order to get rid of it: http://stuff.mit.edu/people/bbrids/virus.html ;)
    Then follow Marcos instruction: don't enable AMON and IMON before reboot just after that

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

If it was the case of defective RAM then Windows would BSOD every now and then, and booting in safe mode would not save the user. Considering the problems disappeared after the NOD was uninstalled, there must be a driver conflict.

McAfee should not normally leave any traces, it has a decent uninstaller. But try pykko's link anyway, and delete all leftover folders of NOD32 and McAfee. Try reinstalling NOD32 or KAV and see what happens.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hand clean your registry. That is the ONLY way you will get rid of all McAfee entries. McAfee is the worst of all AV for leaving debris behind. It took me a couple of hours (after running RegClean) to handpick all the junk still left in the registry.

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

that's bad Mele20...let's wait to see how pixellated goes... hope it managed to install NOD32 properly. :D

12. kurdadam

kurdadam Registered Member

You can use Jv16 Power Tools to clean the remnants of McAfee from your system. It is the *best* registry & application debris cleaner and does it automatically. Just choose McAfee on the list. The last free version can be found on
    Code:
    www.oldversion.com

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

The last free version is the RegCleaner that I used and it didn't get all of McAfee. Plus RegCleaner has problems running on XP. I have to choose compatibility mode and run it in 256 colors otherwise it runs but I can't see it. It is still the best RegCleaner available as it very safe and does a fine job....but it didn't get all of McAfee.

14. pixellated

Thanks again for all the input. I'll report back tonight (after work) on everything I have tried (installing, uninstalling, registry cleaning, etc.).

15. pixellated

Here's a bit of an update. I uninstalled KAV. Then I set about uninstalling McAfee's leftovers as much as possible. I checked out the mit.edu, link above, but found it somewhat confusing. It seems to have been cut & pasted from somewhere else since the formatting is a little hard to read (lack of bold face and indents and such). Also it says early on "Click here here for instructions," but there is no active link to click on. And the instructions repeat themselves halfway through the document.

In any case, I hoped to find solution as automated as much as possible (although I understand that manually might be the only way to get all the crud.) I tried some other instructions I found at McAfee's site, including downloading a "registry cleanup file" called VirusScan.reg. (Although why I should have any confidence in them at this point, I don't know.)

Then I tried JV16 Power Tools. I was going to use the last free version you linked to, but in the end decided to download/install/run the newest version (which is free for 30 days, but I'll likely end up buying it. I'm impressed. And your mention of it reminded me of the InformationWeek article which came out last fall, rating Registry Cleaners. JV16 Power Tools received the highest recommendation. I've been meaning to try it out every since. (In the past, I had used Registry Mechanic, but according to that article, it is "safe" but not all that effective.)

I scanned my system and Holy *@#!, my system recieved a 1 out of 100! (to be continued)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.