KAV 5 Pro vs. Personal

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ?lrtrees, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ?lrtrees

?lrtrees Guest

One more quick question please. For a home user anre there any real advantages to using the Pro version over the Personal version.
    Thanks.
    Lon

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Probably not!

The main differance appears to be the ability to scan macros - which is useful if you are going to be dealing with 'Office' files such as Word or Excel in e-mail attachments.

The Pro version also uses i-checker and i-stream technology, I'm not quite sure whether these apply to the standard version.

From the user point of view there some small differences, for example the pro displays the number of files scanned and viruses found that session on the GUI without you needing to go to Reports. Also I've noticed that, by default, in real-time protection, the standard version pops up a prompt box when it encounters a virus, giving you 30 seconds to decide what to do about it (otherwise it it carries out it's own recommendation anyway). With the pro version it deletes/disinfects without bothering to tell you! the only way you know you've had stuff thrown at you is by looking at the report or GUI. You can configure for a prompt (though I'm not sure if the 30 second rule applies in this case), but I would rather have the option of it automatically deleting the virus and then popping up a box to tell you what it's done; that way you know immediately you have been attacked.

Aside from that, the Pro is more configurable but at the moment does not have extended data bases (though that will come).

I use the Pro version more out of loyalty to Kaspersky than out of actual necessity. Both versions are good.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2004
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The Personal is sufficient for normal Home use.

Although prices have dropped recently, $65 for KAV Pro is still very expensive for a 'Home' AntiVirus; http://www.useice.com/kav_main.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.