Kav 5 is pissing me off

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tempnexus, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone

noone Guest

very bad idea.
    you'll lose all the security permissions on the files in the process.
    like I said, check the Cygwin list, there's probably a tool included in Cygwin just for dissociating the ADSs.

2. Joerg

Joerg Guest

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

Thanks Joerg, that seems to have done the trick!

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Holy cases of thread resurrection batman. :D

5. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

What if your program files are on a different drive? Does it need to be ran there too? Thanks
    *puppy*

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This is sure an interesting thread! I had never even heard of alternate data streams until I read this thread. I am currently trialling KAV 5.0. So, I was immediately concerned. I downloaded Crucial ADS. It found 145 instances of files with ADS. So, I guess KAV fixed their problem.

Should I use the System Internals Stream program to delete the ADS from these 145 files? I'm wondering if some of the ADS is useful and should be left.

7. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Leave them alone if everything is running fine. ADS' are just tags used to make the scan process more efficient. People are more pissed off about the fact that KAV installed them without asking permission first. Also in version 121 they were added to pretty much everything.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't think these are from KAV although I don't really know how to tell. How do I tell? Since there are not a lot of them and they are mostly certain programs but not all, Dell stuff and system restore files, I don't think KAV put them there. KAV would have tagged all the program files right? Why just some? What if some of them contain viruses? From the information I have read on ADS that can happen and no AV can detect it. What if there is some kind of tracking information put there and not by KAV?

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

ADS are information embedded within files on the NTFS file systems only

KAV wouldn't have put them on the computer all it did was made them visible to you

ALL jpg images have them

Nothing to worry about normally, but some baddies use this method to infect system files so if when you scan any system folder or file has an ADS then investigate further

It is used by Windows NTFS file systems (XP/W2K 2003) as a method of tagging files so it can manage them more efficiently

10. Joerg

Joerg Guest

Yes, you have to run it on each drive separately.

11. noone

noone Guest

That removes all ADSs from all files on drive C...
    Does anyone know the names of the ADSs that Kaspersky adds, something like:
    C:\filename.exe:Kaspersky.md5
    maybe then it would be possible to just clean out KAV's ADSs.

It's possible to check the name with the Sysinternals tool, I would do it myself but since it seems some other people have it installed already maybe they could pipe in...

12. steve_h

steve_h Registered Member

It adds ADS to basically ALL files, not just a few as you will see if you run Streams. The ADS additions have various names, e.g. kav64xxx, kav 128xxx.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.