Kav 5 is pissing me off

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tempnexus, May 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Registered Member

OK I installed the KAV 5 TRIAL but I don't want the thing to run in real time so I went to troubleshooting and disabled realtime protection...once I did that I can't use my IE or MYIE to access the web. It just goes to my homepage, then when I want to go to any other site it just kills the explorer. (the small kav icon in explorer is grey then it turns into a black square and next thing I know it IE is dead). If I turn on the real time scanning and try to visit any site the CPU goes 100% and the IE freezes.

I have NOD32 and BoClean as my realtime so maybe there is a conflict there but it sure pissing me off. If I can't fix that then I am going back to 4.5 where I could use KAV as onDemand scanner without any need for this resource hungry app to run in realtime.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

tempnexus,

KAV v5 is very, very new; all sorts of problems are bound to be encountered - and this does ot go for KAV only, but for fairly all new releases. In case you really want to go for it, better wait say a month; issues might have been sorted out by then.

On a side note: the NOD32/BOClean combo surely will keep your system sound and safe ;).

regards.

paul

3. JPM

JPM Registered Member

I have encountered a bug myself. Today I updated the database files and KAV then said the database was corrupt and to update again. I tried updating them again but nothing changed. I uninstalled KAV 5, rebooted and made sure there were no traces of KAV on my system. Re-installed it and all was well untill I updated the database which again led to them becoming corrupt and the program will not work. Oh well back to NOD until this is resolved :)

4. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I have tried various Kav Anti Viruses, and find them all a pain in the ass. Technical support is limited to telling you that there is conflict, which is basic info, and the scan takes for ever. Stick with Nod 32-first class

5. Arin

Arin Registered Member

KAV 5 was at beta stage few days ago. please send your bugs so that the next version is improved. its a good plan to wait for the pro version to be released. then a lot of problems could be sorted out. KAV 4.5 is better suited for the On Demand Scanning.

6. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I have tried various NOD32 Anti Viruses, and find them all a pain in the ass. Technical support is limited to ignoring your, or asking for your specs and then ignoring you, and running runtime-packed executables takes for ever. Stick with KAV-first class

7. Paul Wilders

Thanks for the merely personal opinion. That said: to put the record straight, 99% of all NOD32 users are not experiencing support troubles in any way. Sorry to hear you seem to belong to the 1% minority.

regards.

paul

8. Monster

Monster Guest

I got similiar problem also. I was running KAV 4.5 and 5.0 beta on XP of traditional chinese version. The real time protection always bursted my CPU
    usage to 100% and created a ultra huge temporary file to eat all my space on C drive ( ~ 1 GB). KAV is excellent but it is unacceptable to surffer the horrible lag everyday.

9. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

In a moment of madness I installed Kav5 during which time I lost 4 yrs work, am now back with NOD32. As my mum used to say "a man must know their own limitations" never was a truer word spoken

10. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I am not too thrilled with this new version either, I have uninstalled it and went back to version 3.5 which I have been using without problems for many years.
    Here is another interesting thing I discovered about this new version; it attaches some kind of identification string to all your files.
    Here is a screen capture of a desktop wallpaper as an example.
    I could be mistaken but this only started to happen when I had version 5 installed, after I uninstalled it the files no longer had this string attached to them.
    I do not appreciate the fact of having invisible strings attached to any file, what is it used for?
    Any one come across this or is it specific to my computer only?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

11. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Greetings........for the first time i bought a product w/out trying it first :rolleyes:
    This was a huge mistake......kav really messed things up ...i was unable to load me desktop.......went to safe mode...ran chkdsk /f ....was able to load desktop but when i tried to reboot again desktop would not load.....stopped other scanners from loading @ startup....problem persisted....removed Kav from startup....problem persisted...unchecked Kav in system configuration utility / services and things were back to normal.......also, while Kav was loaded tested with eicar and Kav did not see it ( failed ).......OK...maybe i should have reinstalled but too unhappy...maybe i will try again when next version update appears...... Kav embeds a number of streams..maybe no big deal....will post my stream concern to Trojan Defense Suite

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  13. Rainwalker

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I tried a beta of KAV and found these entries afterwards. Having used Etrust, I was familiar with the cause.
    Only way I found to get rid of them was to format.
    They probably don't harm anything. I just don't like the fact they are there.

15. Rainwalker

WOW......... nor do i :mad:

16. Oomingmak

Oomingmak Registered Member

Does anyone know if this still happens in eTrust even with the 'Scan Alternate Data Strems option turned' off?

17. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

TDS3 will remove hidden data streams but it is long winded as you have to do each one individualy. Hidden data streams are also used by some image files as a sort of tag.
    Another way to remove them is to copy files to a FAT or FAT32 filing system and then copy them back to NTFS :)

For more information: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=archive&id=ntfs-streams

18. Paul Wilders

Strange, quoting myself :) - then again: it still stands.

regards.

paul

19. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor, very useful info you have provided.
    Now I am really pissed off, I will never use any new version of KAV and if they stop supporting 3.5 I will find another anti-virus to use.
    This is really bad programming on the part of KAV, they should have a way of uninstalling all that crap when you uninstall the program.
    Guess I'll be uninstalling Etrust as well.

20. Rainwalker

I don't believe there is a way to uninstall them via an uninstall program......someone will correct me if i am wrong. I'll try tomorrow to ran another tds scan to see if it will scan correctly and NOT post ALL streams....

21. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  22. Rainwalker

Thanks for getting back Solarpowered candle.....can not use cleaner as i have removed all the Kav stuff except the streams....i will post to their site when i have time....maybe later today.

23. noone

noone Guest

Re: Kav 5 is pissing me off / alternate data streams

in regards to removing the ADSs that Kaspersky creates, you may want to check the Cygwin mailing list archives, I think I remember something related to removing ADS there sometime. Basically, I think the idea is to dissociate the ADS from the files, and then run chkdsk, which sees the orphaned ADS and removes it. Cygwin uses ADSs to help it translate between Unix/Windows security permissions on files it creates.
    Good luck!

24. nil

nil Guest

Then it is not really a solution if you have e.g. 100000 files to clean from KAV streams.

KAV should release a tool for this task! It's unbelievable ...

I'll try it this way.

Regards

25. owziee

owziee Registered Member

I can't understand what the problem is since it doesn't take up any extra HD space and it doesn't slow down the computer either. It isn't exactly spyware either :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.