KAV 5 acting as server

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TopperID, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have recently installed KAV 5 and am very pleased with it, but I notice that on bootup it always seeks permission to act as a server through my firewall. Why is this and would it be better to refuse permission?

I guess I'm concerned about having open ports that are not 100% necessary and of course a nasty could (I suppose) call itself KAV and trick me into giving it permission.

I know KAV is one of the good guys, so should I give it carte blanche or should I keep things tight?

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I never let it have server rights, ran fine. Only thing I can think of is that it is calling out to authenticate, it's sending an infected file or it uses the http protocol to talk to the gui (other apps do this, though this setup isn't what I'd call common).

Worst case, deny and if it doesn't run right, grant it access.

I haven't messed around with KAV for a while. So my perspective might be a bit outdated. Use it when KAV 5 was first released.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I have now checked this with Kaspersky, according to them:- " KAV needs server rights when updating. Active FTP is used."

So perhaps it's better to let KAV get on with it!

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I never had an issue updating by denying server rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.