KAV 5.0 Download files scan

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by It'sme, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It'sme

It'sme Guest

Hello all,

I'm new to KAV (and this board) - looking to upgrade from AVG Free and am currently trialling KAV 5.0.142. I have reviewed a lot of write-ups and have decided KAV is for me.

The question I have relates directly to the functioning of V5.0.142 and is based on that I was accustomed to with AVG.

I am able to select an option to 'scan individual file downloaded on completion' within my file downloader. Basically I select the option, give it the path of my virus scanner .exe and it reads in the name of the file being downloaded from a vriable $f.

My question is:

How do I use this option under KAV 5.0.?
    When I give the file downloader the path of the kav.exe, on completion of the download it just opens up the main KAV interface screen and does not scan the file.

The function I am after is the same as the ability to scan single objects on demand - just like when you right-mouse on an object and select 'scan for viruses'.

I figure the ability to do this must be there, just that I can't finf it and it doesn't appear to be documented.

Thanks for any pointers.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

You can't. KAV Personal 5.0 does not have a command line executable. Personal Pro 5.o which will be coming out in a couple months will have it.

Either right click and scan... or of there is a virus there it will be caught when you execute the file or it will be caught during a manual scan.

3. It'sme

It'sme Guest

I thought that was the case. Thanks very much for the prompt and very precise response. From what you say, I am protected anyway.

I will keep an eye out for Personal Pro 5.o version.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

YEP, and actually it probably will catch it even BEFORE you get to accepting the download file..

Running KAV 4.5 PRO and I just did a simple test of eicar, it jumped up all over it long before I could even click on the 'Save' of the dl. :D [see pic]

A lot of AV should do that.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

5. It'sme

It'sme Guest

Are there dummy infected test files - such as the infected eicar file you referred to - available for download to test my setup?

Coould you advise where I can obtain these please.

6. Tassie_Devils

I did have a whole truckload of them specifically for testing in safe environment, but unfortunately they acidentally got deleted a few months back and I can no longer test.

Now, as to your specific ?, no I do not know of any, but there are sure to be files somewhere.

Tried Google "dummy test files"/"testing AV"/ etc. etc?

TAS

7. It'sme

It'sme Registered Member

I'll go do some Googling then. :)

Thanks and cheers.

8. Tassie_Devils

Hey It'sme..... :)

CONGRATS on registering :cool: .. welcome to forum. :D

TAS ;)

9. steve_h

steve_h Registered Member

http://www.testvirus.org/

Log in and you can recieve 25 eicar variants through email, additionally go to the eicar site

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Bottom of page and download the files here.

HTH,

Steve

10. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Nope. Real time scanning was taken out of KAV 5.0 Personal. They wanted to keep it fast. Not a big deal since it will be caught once opened and before anything can happen.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  11. It'sme

It'sme Registered Member

Thanks for the welcome TAS. !

The knowledge that is being shared on this board absolutely brilliant and it's also official forum for Acronis Trueimage (which I threw my dollars at a while back) so I am looking forward to making a lot of progress. Hopefully I will be able to contribute in some way from my experiences also. So you see, really I had no choice but to join ;)

To steve_h and tazdevl -
    Thanks I managed to get hold of the EICAR script and on following instructions bingo! KAV picked it up. Not real-time - as was clarified - but soon as I touched it.

This is the sort of information that can only come from experience, so I am grateful for everybody's input.

I have only one other matter outstanding with my evaluation of KAV - that I need to understand better - that is with real-time email checking behind WinProxy. I'll make that the subject of a seperate post.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.