Kav 5.0.383---NEVER AGAIN

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Rich,

The link I provided specifically discusses KAV Personal 5.0.325 and the thread dates from June 15. This is reasonably current.

My own latest experience dates from ~2 weeks ago and involves a current version of KAV WS 5.0.

Blue

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Blue.

Rich

3. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:) Thanks guys ..... and I'll certainly check out your link Blue, when I have a bit more time.

HR

4. spiff5000

spiff5000 Registered Member

I've had bad signatures from McAfee that ripped my system apart, and Norton crappin' on system files like a viral diaper. S*** happens.

My philosophy... if you can't replicate a problem don't complain about it - odds are even that it's as much *YOU* causing the problem as the software you've blamed for the crash. It's not fair to publically blame the maker if you can't eliminate yourself as the cause.

I noticed your screenshot had ProcessGuard. Was it installed *before* KAV?
    Is anyone else reading this thread running XP SP2, PG and KAV?

Bottom line: people of the world... never run your AV --- *ANY* AV --- in automatic delete mode.

BTW, BETA means *not ready for prime time*. Doh! :-*

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yes I am running XP Pro SP2 PG and Kav along with a host of other stuff.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Well I was informed that they would rather the disc was not copied so couldn't send it to Kav. So I uninstalled my av and bit the bullet and reinstalled Kav 5.0.383. I set every thing to max settings with extended bases and crossed my fingers and did an on demand scan, and about fourty minutes later it finished and my comp was still running. Since I had just performed a full format and restore two days before I had the problem, the only thing I can imagine caused it since it now works well is that during the reinstall a couple of the files must have not installed completely correct and Kav was picking up on them as modified files or something like that?? Any way it isn't doing it again. It is nice when it works like it is supposed to. ;)

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Good to hear all is well.

8. bigc73542

At first I wasn't really all that interested in knowing what caused the problem. But since I will never know now I will always wonder what it really might have been. o_O

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I know don't you hate that. :(

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

:D :rolleyes:
    Maybe you should try it on your computer with the BOClean / firewall problem.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Only if it removes the right Windows FW file that stops Boclean from updating :D :D :D

Not to stray to far off topic but I may give Sygate 5.5 Personal a try on that machine...just for old times sake. Bet that will solve it. :D :D

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the update BigC. Cya around.

Regards,
    Rich

13. King Grub

King Grub Guest

Hey! I had a problem similar to that one, exactly similar, in fact, only with Norman Antivirus (which came bundled with my last computer), last year. I downloaded SP2 at the time (I have since ordered the free CD), and something must have gone wrong, because the antivirus picked up several legitimate files as viruses and wanted to delete them, and this were vital, normal SP2 files. I re-installed, and everything was tip-top.

I use Kaspersky Personal Pro now, and haven't had any problems. :)

14. JohnH

JohnH Registered Member

Thank you, bigc73542.

I appreciate taking your time to retry KAV 5.0.383 giving the story a new end.

I back up your fair play.

15. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

I recommend you read the "official" KAV support forums reachable via Kaspersky's own pages.

You'll find plenty of information there.

16. GoD

GoD Registered Member

Updated to 5.0.383 PRO
    So far it seems more stable than the version before ( although the version before this was a huge improvement )
    So far everything is stable. still testing here will need more time to hunt down bugs.

17. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

Did you install over the previous version, or did you uninstall and do an complete refresh? Thanks.

Rich

18. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I did the upgrade today, because by accident i installed 5.0.372 after a fresh OS install and it worked just fine, as it did the other times when i've tried the update.exe. :)

19. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Don. I just did my update. It looks good so far.

Regards,
    Rich

20. GoD

GoD Registered Member

I installed it over Version 5.0.372. i downloaded the 12mb file and installed it over the previous version.. everything seems to be just fine here as well.

21. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:) Thanks halcyon.

22. bigc73542

23. toploader

toploader Registered Member

oh well just when i was beginning to think that kaspersky was the answer to all my problems i read your post :D then i read this http://www.pcflank.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162 (deep suspicion about the russians being top dogs - woof) :D

now i'm back to square one - but at least i've got faithful scotty (winpatrol) he's worth 10 points for cute value alone - woof :D

24. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Well, if you base your opinion on what one or even five users exprience, then you will never buy, because you will see these kind of stories no matter what AV we are talking about, if you peruse the forums, there will always be one user with a horror story, so i wish you good luck without AV protection. ;) :D

25. bigc73542

Toploader, this thread is about a problem with my specific computer and Kav. You will probably never see this problem elswhere. This is not about Kav being the Bad guy here it is about some incompatability with Kav on my computer. I have used Kav several times in the past and it never gave me a problem. It was just this one version. You really shouldn't let this thread cause you to drop Kav as a possible av for yourself. It is a very good product and protects a great many computers with no problems what so ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.