KAV 2009 - Security Analyzer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DasFox, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well I just installed KAV 2009 to take it for a spin, and it looks pretty decent.

The 'Security Analyzer' was something interesting I noticed and ran it, to see what it detected...

The 'Fast diagnositcs' showed some vulnerabilities, so for testing purposes I let it correct them.

I must admit I'm old school when it comes to my applications, if it says ANTIVIRUS on it, then that's what I want, so this application analyzer for system vulnerabilities doesn't quite seem to fit in my book in the category of Antivirus, more along the lines of system security, but some might argue...

Anyhow I'd like to hear some feedback on this feature if it does the job well, and should be used to correct what it finds, especially the windows corrections it makes in regards to XP, along the lines of cd autorun, IE, etc...

THANKS

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

I think a kaspersky mod said it was based on Secunia PSI so it should be pretty accurate.

But its really got no features compared to PSI.

3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Yes Kaspersky 2009 uses the Secunia database of vulnerabilites. .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Registered Member

I think with AV your are 100% correct. I have the security suite, so I expect a few extra "bells and whistles".

In the case of a security suite, I think its an excellent addition. Many vulnerabilities come via unpatched software these days (Adobe Flash, anyone?), so identifying these and fixing them is about as important as keeping the AV up to date IMHO.

I use Firefox; However, KAV found that my IE had an old version of Flash installed from when I used it long ago - I didn't even think to check that. Also, I received an email from my wife's machine that it detected an old Office 2000 vulnerability, even though she has Office 2007 - Seems she installed PhotoDraw, an old part of Office 2000 that placed an old vulnerable DLL on her machine.

I personally think the addition of this tool into regular scans resolves a huge gap in security with these packages. I don't need to monitor for patches and vulnerabilities if I don't want to - KIS will let me know if there is an active issue on any of my PCs.

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

The thing is I just want an ANTIVIRUS program, and what does this really have to do with viruses? ----> Nothing...

It's about security, and well, of course some will argue that one goes hand in hand, etc., etc., but let's be HONEST here, if you're a geek then you know how to resolve these issues, and I've never had one in 20 years, so personally for me it's just BS BLOAT!

Truth is, would you use this application is what I wanted to know, and trust it, and let it make the changes it suggests?

THANKS

6. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

I use it and very happy too BUT I wouldn't let it make any changes automatically. Having said that I checked the vulnerabilities and sorted them out myself. Java was a bad example as upgrading leaves the old versions behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.