Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

True, very true. His videos are a great way to learn how a product runs. An instructional way of using the security apps.

Ice

2. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I agree with your statement:D

What troubles me though is VB tested some/most of these AV's against some 1,164,662 samples almost all achieving high 95% - 99% detection rates(impressive):eek:

Along comes an amateur and selects a 0,00085% sample (obviously not VB's)at random and allot of the tested products fail to detect these samples, some AV's miss more than 1:blink:

To me something isn't right, what would the statistical data be for any tested AV to fail to detect 1 - 4 viruses with such a microscopically small sample having near-zero statistical significance:shifty: o_O

Are these 1,164,662 samples all executed, I think not, they are I believe all detected by signature or noto_O
    If that is the case, what good are these tests in determining the the value of any AV's real ability to detect zero day threats?

It's obvious that being tested against a large database of malware will provide a more accurate statistical value for each tested product.
    And though they where tested against some 1,164,662 threats, some still failed the youtube test against 10 samples of malware...

Personally I would be a little more influenced by the youtube test:doubt: as the full ability for an AV to detect viruses are demonstrated, using HIPS or other behaviour protection, that are not being conducted by VB or others.
    And no I would not ignore the tests conducted by VB and others.

I would also like to see Drivesentry tested:argh: How accurate would the tests beo_O

note: 1,164,662 viruses I used as a reference are taken from VB's site

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well, a detection of 85% of VB100 static list is not enough to use it as your primary AV, IMO

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks for the comments re efficacy of the av.

Although I like DS I have decided to go with AviraPE and TF for now. EDIT Back with DS as TF slowed browsing. Help, I need to get off the security merry-go-round.

Avira is the bedrock of my defence and I will look for something to sit alongside although with the launch of the new proactive module another programme may well be superfluous.

I would like to see DS tested and also a more active forum before committing 100% to it. I wish they would change the colour scheme on their forum as it is so morbid and uninviting.:eek:

Apparently a new version of DS Desktop is on the way but DS has yet to even make the new suite available as a download on their site.

I suppose I want to be a believer but I look at other product developments and their active forums and feel like one of the few when running DS. Their handling of the pricing of the suite did not endear me. Big fuss and still no product to download.

Possibly, their marketplace is the big retail chains and getting s/w pre-installed for punters who are not as demanding as us cynical lot!:D

Ian

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  5. Panpan69

Panpan69 Registered Member

i thought too but nothing appears after the update finished, when i double click left/right a windows appears and say : You already have the latest database...

No way to have the main windows...

Thanks for your help.

6. IceCube1010

Just an idea, I don't know how you feel about GeSWall or Sandboxie but couple one of them with Avira PE and I think you have a pretty good security combo.

Ice

7. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I think they are great apps but I like ones with require minimal change in the user's actions.

I used to have DW but got fed-up of running FF et al as trusted to update it.

Tried GW and had a printer problem plus my son was complaining about a pop-up to do with messenger.

So now I look for apps with few pop-ups and hopefully don't ask me whether a programme is safe or not which means blacklist whether local or cloud. I would rather a programme gives me a FP rather than ask me whether it is safe or not.

Ian

8. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

9. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

10. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

So wait, the is the free version still being offered?

11. IceCube1010

I had a issue with GW and my printer. I needed to add a rule to the application rule set for FF and the printer worked. Other than that it ran great with minimal interference. Have you tried Sandboxie? This is running on my son's computer with Avira PE and he has had no complaints and no malware! I'm thinking of removing OA pro and just use SBIE and Avira PE because they are so light and effective.

Ice

12. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Just want to use one app so using AviraPE at the moment. Trying to resist the urge to complicate matters. That young man, trjam, summed it up when he noted being a doomsday merchant is far removed from reality. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=245391

Keeping my eye on a few things: new Proactive module in Avira; MSE; and, of course, waiting for update to DS Desktop - wish they would let AV-Comparitives test their a-v. If it scored well I would use DS and leave it at that.

Ian

13. pnbalaji

pnbalaji Registered Member

Hi,

How safe it is to use the DriveSentry as the only stand-alone security product in a PC? I have seen reviews from http://remove-malware.com and drivesentry has blocked all malwares from the fake urls. However, I disabled my antivirus, antispyware and then tried to open up the eicar test file (eicar.com) and drivesentry did not flag anything. I heard that drivesentry has signature based detection too, but not sure why it is missing the eicar.com test virus, which is why my original question came up. Is it safe to use DriveSentry as the only stand-alone security product?

Thanks,
    Balaji.

14. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

The new suite is available at last http://www.drivesentry.com/drivesentry-products-new.html#

I find Drivesentry strange - they have a good product but seem lackadaisical when it comes to keeping to schedule. The suite was announced weeks ago, and an update to DS Desktop has been mooted.

The interest on Wilders seems to have stopped and the DS forum has little activity. They have been busy updating the sigs database, though.

I have the Desktop licence and I keep putting it on and off because I wonder where the company is going.

And, don't mention the upgrade licence fee!:D

Ian

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  15. Bubba1

Bubba1 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads-up/link.

So, do those who've purchased DS, pre "suite", get to pay again ? Or is there an upgrade path I've just not discovered ?

Also, does this "suite" now like Vista64 ?

16. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

You pay again. $15 for lifetime.

They did say they would be continuing development DS Desktop.

There's celestial time and Drivesentry time!

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Hi all,
    Pay again? I don't think so.
    Not gonna get taken again.
    One lifetime? license is enough for me.

Love your last line about celestial time and DS time. LOL :D
    Did you nail that one!

Support? That doesn't exist.
    I noticed that yourself and others posted questions dating 06/22 and prior and never received answers.
    Is that good service or what? :thumbd:
    There forums are the same.
    Barely existing and the buzzards are circleing.

I liked DS originally and thought it had alot of promise as others did here.
    Now I use products that work very well.
    Are updated regularly and the support is outstanding.

I think the DS co., or is it someones basement hobby?, would need a major revision and overall and this would only work if their reputation has not been damaged beyond return.

18. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hi All,
    We've been a bit quiet lately here but rest assured there is plenty going on in the background. The Dev team are busy preparing a new release of DriveSentry Desktop which we will be releasing next week. This will mainly have various bug fixes along with Windows 7 support.
    Next on the agenda will be a new version of Security Suite which will have rootkit protection and online backup.
    We have a few problems with our online forum at the moment hence why its lacking in activity, we hope to have these resolved with a new forum asap.
    Finally, if you want to keep track of the latest news from DriveSentry we have a new Twitter feed: http://www.twitter.com/drivesentry

Regards
    Polly.

19. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Thanks, Polly

Please post when it is available.

Any news on getting a-v tested by av-comparatives or somebody of such ilk?

Also, could you share any corporate info on customer-base? Interested to know how DS is progressing wrt market-share.

Ian

20. Kees1958

Will the desktop also have rootkit protection?

I will give you some food for thought.

Your predecessor promised rootkit protection in the next release of Drive Sentry Desktop. She also claimed to be the official representative. At the time your website offered a lifetime lisence and upgrades.

According to Dutch law, excluding information on which a consumer would base his purchase decision is called "misleading". When it is reasonable to assume that a consumer would not have bought the consumer can return the goods and claim his money back.

Some post
    Announcement of Katie, explicitely mentioning releases
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1244601&postcount=1

A new buyer happy with life time lisence
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1245349&postcount=17

A critical question of Bellgamin
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1245827&postcount=27

Promise Buffer Overflow protection
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1250674&postcount=110

Promise Direct Disk access/MBR protection
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1250728&postcount=112
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1262471&postcount=191

New rootkit protection integrated
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1361201&postcount=698

Since DriveSentry is sold under UK law, I wonder what the The UK Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations mentiones about misleading information. At least it is plausible to asume that Katie suggested that I would get anti-rootkit on my DS Desktop (as with Buffer Overflow and Direct Disk Access/Master Boor Record protection).

May be some UK members can provide some info on this. Possibly an act on misleading advertisements or an UK act on 'soft' goods (are downloadeable products) and services will disclose whether such a law also exists in the UK. Whether this is tackled by UK law makes the difference in what we can ask in all fairness of Drive Sentry.

regards Kees

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  21. 3TAMMUZ

3TAMMUZ Registered Member

Most of all we're under the commerce, the Admiralty And Maritime Law and the Bar in the Great Britain founded for this purpose; thus, due to this reason, I might be able to expect a fortunate result over this payment issue.

From one of customers bought your DRIVESENTRY DESKTOP product in Seoul, S. Korea.

22. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Would the foreman of the jury please rise?

How do you find the defendant, guilty or not guilty?

23. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Guilty as charged! :thumbd:

24. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Drivesentry, you have been found guilty as charged.

I'm in a good mood so buck up your ideas and we'll forget all about it.

But, next time...

Ian

25. Kees1958

:thumb:

In all fairness, when I posted the disappointing upgarde offer for existing customers (initially 15 Euro/Dollar/Pounds) desktop users, they changed it to 5 euo/pound/dollar when you had bought it 60 days prior to release of the DS Suite. In that post they alsp announced that they would continue to upgrade the DS Desktop application.

Just checking whether they stick to their promise of updating the Desktop.
    Checking whether it is fair by UK law to ask DriveSentry to provide the goodies in a new release of DS Desktop or re-fund the money.

When it is fair to ask for a re-fund, the administrative hassle would cost them more than 15 euros, so it would be more cost effective to provide free upgrades to the suite for everyone. In terms of version management it is also cheaper to maintain one code set in stead of two, so deep down I am very committed to DS and just helping them to choose the best options :D

They listened to the upgrade post also, so I have good hope in their rational (all that hassle on the internet is not good for your brand reputation)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.