Kaspersky's Object Identifiers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by De Hollander, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Agreed.
    Did you steal my thoughts, did you? :D

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

You and probably 99.999% of users!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  3. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Before this tread goes out of control, I never in the past have been trolling, or bashing any program or vendor, and surely are not trying to do so right now or in the future. I‘m only expressing my opinion after what I have be learning in this tread.

Thank you.

De Hollander.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

And girls, one of which now has in her signature "Don't Forever Alter Your Computer! Don't Install or Use Anything with Kaspersky" :p :blink: o_O

5. steve1955

Sorry:-didn't intend to be sexist!(lol)

6. dread

dread Registered Member

Does anyone have a page explaining Alternate Data Streams and objectids and how they are related? I asked in the Kaspersky forum and one person said removing the ADS would not remove the objectids. Here is the post.

7. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Obviously you never had the problem with kav. I'd like to see how quiet you'd be if you did.
    I had to reformat to fix the problem once and for all.
    Them made an error once and then did it again.
    Their software cannot be trusted and will never be on my computer again.
    And if I can talk someone out of using kav, bashing if you will, then damn straight I will. :mad: :thumbd:

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

so am i right then saying there is no way to use kis without these identifiers? even if you uncheck iswift when installing they still get installed??

9. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Yes, when you uncheck iSwift within the graphic user interface or during installation, it only prevents on-demand scans from using it. Real-time protection will still use it.

However, one can disable that, too, from within the registry, by going to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KasperskyLab\protected\AVP7\profiles\File_Monitoring\settings

...and set the UseIStreams key to 0 instead of the default 1.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

^^^ so what are the results of doing this.. does this still have the effect on chkdsk or anything else. how does this effect system performance without them turned on?? im considering kis but want no issues with slowdown or hdd issues especially with chkdsk

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No, using the reg key edit described above should totally disable iSwift for good, though the real-time scanner may use more resources as a consequences. I think the difference will not be significant.

Having experienced this behaviour from ZoneAlarm AV myself (though to a far lesser extent than what people have reported), I think the problem (as per Blue's description :)) is only experienced in a significant level on large partitions with a very large number of files. :)

12. De Hollander

Perhaps this:

Useful links
    NTFS-Identifiers detailed description
    Microsoft API detailed description

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kav7/error?qid=208279501

13. steve1955

There can be probs with almost any piece of software,especially ANY AV product:-due to the very nature of what we expect them to do:-monitor very deep inside your system to protect you against attack from malware that is trying to install itself/alter file structure/install rootkits etc,but that doesn't mean that other users will have same experience:-like I said earlier 99.999% of users probably never have a problem you fall within the 0.001% that have!
    Another point is:-just because Microsoft don't "like" the way any 3rd party vendor use the way their operating system work in some respects doesn't make it wrong,as for stating "their software cannot be trusted"??this seems verging on paranoia

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i too had this problem with KIS steve, i think its a little more common than you think.

if kaspersky themselfs are doing a re-write and giving out statements about the issue, it really is more of an issue to more than 0.001% of customers.

glad to hear you havn't had the problem though, long may it continue :)

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

They are unrelated to one another.
    Correct. because they are different things. Think of ADS' as distinct files associated with a primary one while file object ID's are akin to classical file attributes. However, file Object ID's, rather than being set/cleared bit flags, are fixed length bits of information (16 bytes, note that when a file object ID is set BirthVolumeID, BirthObjectID, and DomainID (currently all zeros) are also set, so it's basically a 64 byte collection of information).

Blue

16. De Hollander

o_O So KL ad something withing that 64 byte o_O

17. steve1955

The main problem it would seem is patience on the part of the PC operator,chkdsk doesn't actually freeze,but appears to freeze:-From Kaspersky:-

An index of all object IDs is stored on the volume. Once Kaspersky Anti-Virus has performed initial scan with the iSwift technology and an object ID is given to each file, database volume may increase form 2MB to 200 MB depending on the number of objects/ files on this computer.

CHKDSK checks the database of objects IDs and their integrity set up in the operating system; their average size might be 200MB). And the problem is CHKDSK does not show the scan progress of such big index and appears to hang for a period of time, that is normal.
    Is this the "statement(s)" you are referring to?,I only ever use chkdsk when any PC is not needed,so hanging for a while isn't a problem for me,and it seems from reading between the lines that they are only chnging the method of indexing to "keep Microsoft happy"
    Don't Microsoft themselves use a similar system to help users find files on a PC?

18. De Hollander

You mean indexing o_O

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

steve, on my machine KIS actually caused chkdsk to run, automatically on reboots, regardless of the delays.

This issue stopped on un-installation.

20. steve1955

similar in some respects,but Kaspersky is different as it tries to monitor changes to files to speed up total scan times,indexing doesn't

21. steve1955

had you had zone alarm insalled pre Kis?

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nah, it was just KIS after a fresh format.

i chose not to use it and moved on back to what i use.

kis8 should be interesting, lets all see what they can do :D

23. steve1955

that is one thing:-Kaspersky always seem to come up with interesting products,even if you don't like/get along with them!

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Then it wasn't the object Id's as the remain when you uninstall. Could have been some other conflict.

25. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That's still a long ways off though, isn't ito_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.