Kaspersky

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

How long does it take Kaspersky to answer requests.I bought Internet security and have installed it a number of times on 1 computer because of trying other antivirus programes.It now wont let me, because i have exceeded the number of times.I have sent a request to support and had no reply for days.
    I only paid for this 2 months ago and now cant use it.How do they react to threats so quick if they cant answer their customers.

2. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Kaspersky is one of the best AVs/Security suites out there with the worst customer service on the planet.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me. I usually restore my computer to a previous image using Acronis True Image every once in a while when some drivers have been updated or major software updates have come out. So not knowing that there is a cap on the activations, they blocked my key.

When I contacted them,they got back to me after 20 days saying that I have abused the key since I activated it more than 15 times in less than 30 days. Well I was activating it on the same computer, same computer name, same hardware, same OS :rolleyes:

They then issued me a manual activation license where you have to first enter a generic key into Kaspersky, then it would ask you to BROWSE for the activation file which Kaspersky provided you with.

Very ugly Activation Detection method I must say.

With Bitdefender or Eset's products, the way they detect if a license key is being abused is different as they check the computer name/ hardware. I have activated my ESS license god knows how much and never got a problem.

The fastest method for you to do is:

1) Contact Paypal and ask for a refund as you will not sit there waiting for ages to resolve something that shouldn't have occured in the first place

2) if you do buy a Kaspersky product, install it, activate it, update it, reboot, take a snapshot of your HDD using Acronis True Image or similar software

3. waters

waters Registered Member

I have also installed Bitdefender the same number of times with no problems.I rate them very low at the moment,just seems wrong that after paying for this i cant use it.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

have had the same issue in the past with kaspersky. i actually prefer to have a key file imo it makes it easier for me to re-activate when i restore the system.

5. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

very true. I loved the manual key file as I could re-activate as many times as I want with no fear of being blacklisted again

they have discontinued issuing manual activation license now and they will simply fix your current key. what a shame :(

6. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

The ultimate security suite would have Kaspersky's AV, Eset's GUI, Comodo's Firewall and Webroot's speed and customer service.

7. darts

darts Registered Member

Wow yes this would be the perfect Security :thumb: maybe they read this forum and do something with it :D

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Why don't you guys get a start up company running and license all those goodies from the AV companies?:D:thumb:

9. cobrafirefly

cobrafirefly Registered Member

Haha, I can barely run my security software, let alone try to invent my own.

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if i had the funds i would.....

11. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I used to pirate KIS 6.0 back in the day, I can understand their fear as Kaspersky is one of the most simple products to pirate. I know the multi-user licenses and the ones that get abused the most.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky support seems good. One of my friends installed kis on their new desktop without uninstalling from laptop so got a blacklisted key. Kaspersky unblocked the key next day.

13. waters

waters Registered Member

Well he was lucky

14. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Kaspersky?

You don't have to even pay for it! The Kaspersky AV engine is in the free ZA Anti-Virus/Firewall suite. :isay:

15. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Just if you are fine with their old engine :p

16. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I bought a boxed version of KAV and its firewall in 2005 for a lot of money, I think from memory it was about 50 Euros. The keys bundled with the the CDs were blacklisted from the very first install. I asked support to do something about it, they replied to go back to the store where I first bought it. As I had left the country there was nothing I could do, as you can imagine I lost 50 Euros and they lost a customer forever.

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I notice that the licenses for one PC for one year say 3 installs. I assume that you can uninstall and install 3 times without problems. I have never done that more than twice.
    Jerry

18. fax

fax Registered Member

Not old, perfectly current to KAV enterprise line ;)

19. waters

waters Registered Member

Just got a reply that is no help.They explained how to download and install.How to enter the key.
    They must just have had a quick look and that was it.
    I will now have to wait until the next reply.
    I had explained that i had successfully installed it previous times and the problem.It makes me think that they have to go through loads of requests and just give them a quick glance

20. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I don't know where they are getting that it's an "old" engine. It's the same as Kaspersky's current enterprise line and still quite well supported. An engine isn't "old" if it's still updated and supported regularly.

For what it's worth, in the old days when ZA used KAV 6.x engine, it still wasn't very far behind the "real" Kaspersky so I don't see what's the big deal, especially considering that ZA also adds it's own engine to the product.

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

does Kaspersky Pure use the most current consumer engine?

22. Macstorm

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2138970&postcount=36
    As a side note, and veering a bit from the OT, I'm currently trying out the ZA "free" on Windows 8 and am pleasantly surprised on how light it is. I would have liked not to install their FW but it was not possible, although I haven't yet seen any annoying pop-up in the Auto-Learn mode. I didn't install the bundled toolbar I was offered while installing, btw.

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'm pretty sure that if you offer a significantly inferior scan engine as an SDK when compared to your main product, you will lose clients really fast. People license an AV engine because of the relationship they have with a company, and because it's good. If it wasn't, there is no reason to continue using it. I suspect that had a lot to do with the massive exodus from Kaspersky engine of a few products some years ago. It was after this, after all that ZA received an SDK update....

In any case, sure it may not the "latest and greatest" 2013 engine, but I'd say Kaspersky is shooting itself in the foot if they think they can continue offering an old engine with less efficacy as an SDK....so no, it's not old, they probably keep it good enough to do well in tests at least, and most likely any differences in detection are related to the cloud scanner, not the heuristics or signatures.

24. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

back to the original post about Kaspersky support,I find this rather sad as Kaspersky used to have the best support of all,by far:-they even sorted out an issue for me in the past by telephone,from Russia in excellent English, on an Xmas day,but that was probably about 10yrs ago

25. Macstorm

@Firecat,

It would be interesting to know on what Baz_kasp bases his statement. He is an active moderator of Kaspersky forums and, although he claims there that he doesn't work directly for them, he seems to know a bit more about Kaspersky than us the average enthusiasts. I'm not sure if he is allowed to disclose anything further though.

I, personally, tend to think ZA (and other K OEM partners) are somewhat using a slightly different Kaspersky engine. It's the latest SDK platform link (ZA engine v.8.3.0.13) and yes, it could be lacking of the latest K technologies regarding to detecting zero-hour attacks but, as far as malware protection is concerned, ZA is faring equally well as Kaspersky according to av-test.org ...and it's free :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.