Kaspersky updated to 6.0.0.300

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wujxin, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wujxin

wujxin Registered Member

http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates?chapter=186435857

Critical Fix 1 update package for Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0
    (version 6.0.0.300)
    ============================================================
    GENERAL DESCRIPTION

The Critical Fix 1 package of updates for Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 fixes errors found in the previous version of the application.

Critical Fix 1 is a cumulative update for Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0. It can be used both for application setup and as an update for all earlier versions of Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Changes to version 6.0.0.299 added since version 6.0.0.300 (Critical Fix 1):
    1) EULA files have been fixed.
    2) An error that could cause a BSOD while scanning the UP702W32.EXE file on a network drive has been fixed.
    3) Caching of information about previous scans for objects on network drives has been removed.
    4) Automatic detection of the following third-party applications during product setup has been temporarily disabled:
    - Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional
    - Symantec Norton AntiVirus 2005
    - Norton Internet Security 2005
    5) Installation on computers running 64-bit operating systems has been allowed.

Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 (version 6.0.0.299)
    ==================================================================

Contents:
    - What's new
    - System requirements
    - Installation
    - Known issues and appropriate solutions
    - Testing correct software operation
    - Additional resources

What's new
    ==================================================================
    1. Anti-Virus
    - Scanning of network traffic (HTTP, POP3, SMTP, IMAP4, NMTP)
    - Scanning of new and modified files only
    - The iSwift and iChecker technologies that speed up anti-virus checks
    - Stream scanning technology (Web Anti-Virus)
    - The Advanced Disinfection technology (curing active infection and eliminating virus traces in system)
    - The size of updates has been decreased considerably
    - Tools for creation of an emergency restoration disk
    - The «Critical Areas» scan task
    - Plug-ins for MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook Express, MS Office Outlook, and TheBat!
    - Filter for e-mail attachments
    - Optimized algorithm for delayed processing of frequently used files and archives
    2. Proactive Defense
    - Analysis of application activity (detection of unknown threats by their behaviour)
    - System restoration after a virus attack
    - Detection of hidden processes (rootkits)
    - System Registry monitoring
    - Application integrity control
    3. Anti-Spy
    - Protection against attempts of fraud in the Internet (anti-phishing)
    - Protection against hidden chargeable phone calls (anti-dialer)
    - Blocking of popup windows (anti-popup)
    - Blocking of advertisement banners (anti-banner)
    4. Anti-Hacker
    - Dynamic packet filtering (Stateful Packet Inspection)
    - Preset sets of rules for known applications (>250)
    - Templates for various types of network applications
    - An opportunity to specify the time, when specific rules should apply
    - An opportunity to specify rules for applications launched with certain command line options
    - Security zones (local network, trusted network, Internet)
    - Protection against network attacks, regularly updated attack signatures
    - Monitoring of network activity
    5. Anti-Spam
    - iBayes self-learning spam recognition algorithm
    - The GSG technology (image analysis)
    - The PDB technology (header analysis)
    - Additional filters (allowed/blocked senders, key words, presence of text with the background colour, hidden elements, etc.). Relative weight factors.
    - Mail Dispatcher (spam detection on a mail server before its actual downloading)
    - Support for SMTP, POP3, IMAP4, and NNTP
    - Plug-ins for MS Office Outlook, TheBat!
    6. Additional features
    - An opportunity to select protection components during setup.
    - Flexible password-based protection
    - Improved self-protection
    - Initial configuration wizard
    - An opportunity to manage system protection as a whole or its individual components
    - Exclusion files from scanning based on file mask, verdict or a combination of conditions, trusted applications
    - Extended configuration of processing for compound files
    - Export/import of settings
    - Helpful tips
    - Reports, lists of rules: sorting, grouping, search, etc.
    - Notification: flexible customization (sound, e-mail notifications, etc.)

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Mine has not updated to .300 and is still at .299, although it did update this morning. I suspect it will depend upon the servers and how busy they are.
    I assume it will do it automatically.

Jerry

3. wawy

wawy Registered Member

hello,

no, u must dl 0.300, delete 0.299 and install 0.300.

4. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

Yes. You have to unistall the .299 ver and then install .300 version. The new version works flawlessly, browses the net faster and so far no problems at all. This new ver is amazing. Way to go Kaspersky.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm about to start the process.
    Jerry

6. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

KAV has come a long way, I like the new version.

It is still too "Heavy" on my systems for my liking though, and I have since uninstalled it going back to VBA32. But I am really picky, and when I hear my CPU fan "Strain" during normal PC operations, because of the AV, it annoys.

These are gaming machines anyway, low risk.

7. Trans

Trans Registered Member

I'm trying this one for two days now.:p

I'm not sure that I will not go back to
    my KAV 4.5 version with which I'm in love
    two years now...:thumb: :)
    (using extended databases)

8. tlu

tlu Guest

I'm not familiar with VBA32 but KAV 6.0 is considerably lighter than v. 5.0. Especially system start has become faster.

9. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

I've already uninstalled KAV 6.0.300 and gone back to KAV Personal Pro 5.

KAV 6 is supposed to be lighter but it doesn't 'feel' it on my set-up. But the real killer for me was the way the web shield slowed up my surfing and conflicted with Zone Alarm Pro's Privacy Section so that it was no longer blocking pop-ups, web-ads, Java applets and scripting etc.

If your AV spoils your surfing experience it is not worth it, especially when perfectly good alternatives are available.

I also noted one or two other glitches, including a start-up scan that goes on for ages. KAV 6 takes much longer to boot-up on my machine than KAV 5.

I hope KAV sorts these problems out in the near future.

10. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Similar issues on all accounts as well. I don't like waiting forever for my system to load. VBA32 is a lightning in comparison. The web surf delays, and pages partially loading really drove me nuts.

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am sure that both TopperID and SDS909 being experienced users know how to optimise KAV. But for newbies you can control both The Web shield and the Startup Scan easily. IF these two are causing problems you can simply;

1. Stop the Startup Scan by deselecting "run on system start" in the Settings of the Startup Objects. You can check startup objects during an on-demand scan.

2. Custom install/disable the Web AV/deselect HTTP scanning in the Settings. This HTTP scanning is not a necessity.

ALL of the potential problem areas, ProActive Defense, Web AV and the Startup Scan can all be controlled. Overall, do not accept the default settings and choose what extra features work for you.

12. Trans

Trans Registered Member

13. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Of course, but even with them OFF, I noticed a solid DRAG on my system from KAV6. I am afraid that VBA32 rather spoiled me with how "Lite" it is on my systems.

These are gamer boxes anyway, so being lite is paramount. KAV6 just FEELS heavier than KAV5 for some reason, and both are heavier than I want. When I hear my CPU fan "Strain" during random computer work, primarily because of the AV, it annoys.

14. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Yes KAV 6 is great. Trust me I tried a lot of AV's. KAV is the only one that don't slow down my computer. But to the point. I have scan at start up disabled and my computer starts fine. I did disable HTTP scan (might do it again) to try to get KAV and outost to work together but my computer was still surfing slow with them 2 apps. All and all KAV works great with ZAP for me.

15. TopperID

Is your ZAP's Privacy Section functioning even with the HTTP guard enabled?

It certainly doesn't with me. Switch on mobile code control in ZAP and go to this site:-

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

If you can load that site and see the dancing logo, then ZAP's functions are being curtailed by KAV 6, which is what happens with me. Of course you have to be allowing Java through your Browser as well.

I also noted a very odd bug in which KAV 6 somehow 'interferes' with the default value for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run Reg Key, which cannot be ammended in a Reg Editor and results in a double icon appearing in some start-up lists and an 'issue' being found by CCleaner's Reg cleaner. That's only a minor thing though.

Last edited: May 24, 2006
  16. notageek

I don't really use the privacy section of ZAp. I use Proxo, but I'll try it to see.

Yeah I tried it and it still don't work with HTTP off in KAV. That's something to take up with KAV forum and let them know.

17. TopperID

Unfortunately it's not just Java applets it lets through, it is the whole kit-and-caboodle of Java script, tracking cookies, pop-ups, web ads etc, etc.

As you say, it even happens with the HTTP Guard disabled. For me this is a 'deal breaker' as far as KAV 6 is concerned.

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

To stop KAV 6 acting like a proxy, other alternatives include;

1. Disabling all HTTP ports in KAV6, via Network Settings.

2. Remove Web AV and Mail AV, via Modify, Repair and Remove. But you may still have to ensure a complete uninstall of the Web AV ( see 4 below).

3. Turn off "Scan HTTP Traffic" AND "Scan Pop3/SMTP Traffic"

4. Uninstall KAV 6 and Custom install again and do not select the Web AV. However, you may need to run a good Registry cleaner or Kaspersky's own cleaner after the initial uninstall as some users have reported KAV 6 still acting as a proxy unless you remove ALL traces of the previous install.

But overall there are problems with KAV 6 and most other third-party firewalls, with Kaspersky's own firewall, Antihacker in KIS 6, the only one not having problems!

See for example here , here, here, and here.

19. TopperID

There really is a much simpler way than doing all this fidling and that is not to use KAV 6 at all. I see no virtue in persevering with something that is giving me problems when I can use KAV 5 and not have those problems.

Why should I neuter features of KAV 6 just to try and get it working? If I can't benefit from those features it is not worth installing the product in the first place.

KAV 6 has flaws and is therefore not going to be ideal for everyone, at least not at present.

20. notageek

If you ask me, I think KAV6 was rushed before they fixed the problems in it. For me I have a problem with KAV and Outpost. For others they have problem with Outpost KAV and ZAP (or other firewalls). Maybe they didn't fix the problems because they want you to use their Anti Hacker program. Well I don't want to use their Anti Hacker program.

Hey blackcat, if I turn off everything that has to do with HTTP (not the email), will I be able to use Outpost?

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In my opinion nay good AV must not be slowing ur surfing/ OS etc. I hate this. Will try KIS after some time but these sort of posts are not good for KIS.

22. notageek

KAV don't slow my surfing down with ZAP, it only slows it down with outpost. The only thing KAV does to ZAP is acts like a proxy and won't let you use the privacy things in ZAP. Adblocking don't work with ZAP if you use KAV 6 full hyped out with the http scan on (or off in my case). I'm going to try what Black suggested but, I feel I'm going to pay for KAV why can't I use all the features that comes with it? I would use NOD but it slow my computer down to a crawl.

23. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

Well after reading all the threads I could find i eventually just installed KAV + MailAV without the WebAV. This seems to work in a similar manner to KAV 5.0 in conjunction with OP3.51. Basically by doing this KAV acts as a mail proxy and AVP.exe (equivalent to the old kavsvc.exe) can be limited to your ISPs mail servers using your firewall and everything else works as normal. Sure i don't have the web streaming detection but TBH it isn't a feature I particularly want and it means that it doesn't effectively bypass my firewall as it would if I had installed the WebAV (plus it seems to have avoided problems experienced by other OP users).

Someone asks why use it if you can't use all the features well I disable some of Outposts plugins but it doesn't mean that I am not gaining an advantage by using OP over Kerio which is on another of my machines with some of its features turned off as well. More and more programs are becoming suites or adding features which go way beyond the bounds of their core purpose just be glad that we have the option to disable what we don't want or use.

Morpheus

24. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I remember when the 5.xx series was first released, there were numerous problems. Kaspersky worked hard to quash them, and their products became the winners that they are. Bet the farm that the same thing will occur with the 6.xx product line. In dealing with security apps in particular, there will always be 'bugs' and incompatbilities. Not a fanboy, just stating a fact! (steps off soap box) :D

25. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

With kaspersky set to scan all files everytime in the realtime protection, using microsoft explorer (not internet explorer) is incredibly slow! However, if you enable the option to only scan new and changed files in the real time scanner, then it goes quite well. I don't really mind since I am not doing any incredibly dangerous activities :D and the web scanner should stop everything. I don't think it should lower the detection either, IF it does the skipping files by a good checksum algorithm than can't be broken.

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.