Kaspersky stuff infiltrated my system.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kobra, May 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

As a longtime NOD32 and BOClean user, I decided to test out the new KAV and KAH products.. So I followed the rules, uninstalled, cleaned up everything, then installed KAV and KAH trials.

*BIG* mistake.. KAV seemed to remove fine, but KAH won't uninstall right, and wouldn't remove itself from add/remove... So i've spent the better part of an hour going through my reg, and basically i'm screwed. I'm having to consider a format now.

I've scanned with a few regcleaners, and can't seem to get it all out as well. Anyone got any tips on how to purge Kaspersky *** from my system 100%? This is rediculous.. I'm *NEVER* *EVER* installing Kaspersky stuff on my machines again.

At least they could provide a reliable uninstall with their product.. ffs

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2004
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If it were me, looking at a format, I would reinstall the program and immediately try to uninstall. Sometimes, this works.
    What is your operating system?

3. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

WindowsXP Pro SP1...

I seemed to have removed "Most" traces of it, but I have a nagging feeling somethings still messing around in the registry.. I'm considering a system restore point or something as well..

Amazing really, how a company releases a product with these issues.. Based on my reading, this is COMMON with this product - or anything from Kaspersky Labs apparently.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Why not use system restore to go back a day or so?

5. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Well, I tried, and the damn thing for some reason STILL have pieces around.. But I did find this:

http://www.kasperskylab.co.uk/files/utils/

In that directory, that have tools to remove KAV and KAH, so apparently they know this is an issue, which begs to question, if they know its an issue, why haven't they programmed a good install/uninstall? Laziness? If its laziness, then why would I want to trust them for anythign else?

This pisses me off more than you know.. LOL..

Anyway, I ran their little KAV and KAH uninstallers, and *STILL* have traces left in the registry.. It got rid of most things, but traces.. ****!

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2004
  6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Kobra,

You are obviously upset - but we can't have bashing and insulting on this board, whatever legitimate software is concerned. No offense intended, but that's the way we run this place. Some of those remarks/words have been ***-out for that reason.

As for:

Could you be specific here?

regards.

paul

7. Paul Wilders

Smokey,

No offense - but I've removed your post, since I've addressed this already.

regards.

paul

8. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Sorry for my tone. One thing that totally annoys me is when a package doesn't have an adequate uninstaller!

Anyway, after running all of their tools, I still have to go through and seek individual entries in the registry, it leaves more behind.

Ugh. :(

9. Paul Wilders

Those things do happen on ocassion - apologies accepted :)

I do agree. Unfortunately, far too many softwares (regardless what kind) do suffer from this. It's far from unique :rolleyes:

For the sake of all of us: post specifics. We all can learn from it.

Ugh :)

regards.

paul

10. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Specifically, it leaves behind nearly everything pertaining to their systems drivers and such:

klif
    klpf
    klpid

Roughly 10 entries for these scattered I think.

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

sorry to hear about your problem Kobra. but i noticed that uninstallers works great on XP-SP1 systems. Ronjor has a good suggestion why don't you try it? you have nothing to lose there. one more thing about Kaspersky is that it adds a checksum to everyfile it scans and the checksum stays there even after uninstallation, probably in the alternate data stream. it surely drives me off my rocker. that checksum allows it to cut short the scanning speed after the first run.

12. nil

nil Guest

KAV hidden NTFS streams

Hidden NTFS streams (names: kav... ...). ;)

I've also tried KAV and I have this problem too. How can I remove all these hidden streams from all files (are there any tools)? Uninstallation of KAV doesn't removed it.

Regards

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

14. nil

nil Guest

Ah, thanks!

15. Michel.Rohan

Michel.Rohan Guest

Hi,
    Excuse me for my bad english.
    Same problem 1 year later. I tried to install Kaspi. Norton and ZoneAlarm sent to the trash as the help file says : no antivirus, no firewall, no antiSpyware, no antiSpamware !
    Bad, very bad experience ! The Kaspi uninstall software forgot 162 keys in my registry (just beginning by "Kasper", I have no idea for the other keys). May be have I now the 112,000 viruses, spywares ans spamwares of the Kaspi database. Why not ? I have spent the whole night (18st of march 2005) to avoid the final solution (low level format). With an uncredible success. Now I have a desert storm in my head and intend to go to sleep (1.00 pm).
    Kaspi men were probably on Miami Beach nbr 404 for the whole week-end. Just an information : the big "sdgerq@@@gh'eh'gh" (russian translation for "problem") happened when I decided to uninstall ZoneAlarm (I think destruction of a VSDATA95.VXD, of a KLPID driver, or something like this). Do not make my errors, even if you are retired. Do not format. Once again, excuse my bad english, I learnt it on the Citizen Band.
    Michel (France).
    PS : if somebody could send me a good translation of my text, it would be very appeciated (rohan.senior@free.fr).

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Having to uninstall both Norton and ZoneAlarm completely would stress out most computers!

On my sytems, I have found no major problems with the uninstall of KAV 4.5 and 5, particularly if you use the specific KAV registry cleaners; http://www.ice-kav.com/tools.php.

IMO, even the new Prototype KAV 6 Internet Security Suite uninstalls reasonably well.

In future, for a more complete uninstall you may wish to use either Total Uninstall to monitor the install, or some sort of roll-back program such as GoBack or FirstDefence or imaging software such as Acronis.

17. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I surely don't want to get into a huge flame war over this but in the last three weeks I have had Kav 5.0.147 and 5.0.227 installed and removed at least five times trying to find whick one was causing problems with my comp. Well it turns out it was not Kav antivirus it was Kav antihacker causing all of the problems. But to make the story a little shorter I will say that when I have uninstalled kav antivirus it usually only leaves a folder in program files and after deleting that there are no traces except for the ADS streams and they are no problem to remove. Actually I prefer to have Kav use the ADS streams when installed. The checksum testing it uses the ADS stream entries for is just another level of protection and they don't effect the way my comp runs at all. It installed 47.000 ads entries that only take up 27kbs, that is not much space to give up for the added security. Plus useing the ads it decreases the time needed to scan my system. Sorry I didn't mean to ramble on quite this much.

bigc

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Similar experience here.

I have installed the new Prototype on a couple of test machines at work. Initially, we had problems with random freeze ups and slow Internet surfing. As soon as KAH was disabled these problems disappeared.

19. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

and i observed that it is nearly impossible for bitdefender standard and kah to coexist.everytime bit defender updates with kah sudden reboots happened with my pc..turn kah off it updates fine..i guess kah cant tolerate the shutting down and then starting of bitdef trayicon after an update..
    otherwise its a nice program with low memory usage and outpost like rule presets..there is scope for much improvement..

20. norwegian1968

norwegian1968 Registered Member

gday there all,
    i thought i had probs... i had kas av and firewall but it all got compramised somehow, so after alot of pulling of hair and putting zonealarm on i nearly gave up.....and im not giving tds-3 a plug, but all the ADS where attached with KAVICHS ..so out with all the probs care of tds-3 , zonealarm still finding bits and peices, but now i have most of diamonds gear on trail running and , bugger me its all workin...someone else mentioned a firewall, anyway ive got to use the xmas funds for next year to keep me clean
    lol
    anyway hope it helps a bit
    no more kavichs care of tds

21. twig

twig Guest

The Kav 2006 doesnt use hidden streams

22. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Nope, but at the moment there are problems with the NTFS security descriptors being somehow affected after scanning with KIS2006. Checkdisk chokes on them.

Moral of the story: Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 PROTOTYPE is still a prototype, so be carefull.

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Is that why Kaspersky didn't OFFICIALLY launch the beta program for KAV 6 yet?

24. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Not the only reason, but I'm sure one of them.

25. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Question for KAV users:

GData 2005 AVK has a Kaspersky Labs file AVPBASE.DLL described as AVP Engine (DLL), File Version 6.0.169.6390, Product Version 6.0.169.0

Does this mean it has the KAV 6 engine?? 5? 4.5?

The scanner does not introduce ADS streams and I'm just curious as to how to determine which engine it uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.