Kaspersky Personal PRO 5.0 Released !!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ncs, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Streams from Systems Internals worked well for me. No problems.

Rich

2. panic

panic Guest

Can someone please clarify the two new versions just out, and how they handle the ADS issue? One is personal pro5.0, and the other is personal 5.0 beta? Is Pro a beta release also? Can both disable the ADS? I'm looking forward to trying KAV again, since it does a great job, but I want no ADS, and I want to see if my sytem slows up like it did with Personal 5.0 (with ADS). Thanks all.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Panic

Personal Pro is not beta, it's just the first release. In both version's ADS's can be disabled, in Pro you use configuration, a link to a screenshot at DLSR http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/695530~d44c6a5fecf1a92c3d01636f09549957/kav.JPG . In personal beta during the install, it's called something cryptic, can't remember exactly, like disable fast scan or something like that. :)

4. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Panic,

read Sisko's answer earlier in this threat.

ADS cannot be disabled in current KAV 5 series (pro, beta or normal) installs.

Only _after_ the install.

There is an upcoming version of KAV 5 Pro that will enable one to disable ADS during the install (it never gets tagged to files).

I'll happily wait for that version myself :)

5. k0nsl

k0nsl Registered Member

KAV 5.0 Pro rocks :)

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

LOL so that's what happened to me yesterday.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

nVidia drivers? Those have been reported more frequently than ATI although some with that brand of video card have had their drivers fried also.

I just hope KAV support realizes the problem by now. I think I was the very first person to use the tool and have this happen. No one believed me at first. :D Especially the KAV support staff. After three emails and each time being told it was impossible for the tool to mess with the video drivers...I gave up trying to convince support. I figured once they got some more email about it from other users then they would begin to believe it. ;)

8. kfkjdfjdkjf

kfkjdfjdkjf Guest

Does anyone know how to stop that startup scan? I couldn't see any option to uncheck it from the list. It scans the entire drive every time it starts!

9. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

it doesnt scan the entire drive everytime it starts, it only scan the boot files, floppy drive and everything that is loaded into the memory...

if it did, it would take an hour every reboots...

10. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To everyone from Firefighter!

Because I don't understand anything about that "ADS" thing, do I have resolved that "ADS" issue out of my mind with my shown settinds in On-Access scanning? The same I have done with On-Demand also!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  11. Don Pelotas

Yes Firefighter, your setting's are correct. Did they (ADS) give you any trouble? If you want to remove the remaining ADS, then you can use NTFS Streams Eraser from Rejzor's http://www.excessive-software.tk/. :)

Regards

12. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Don Pelotas from Firefighter!

Thanks to you Don. I don't think that I had any difficulties with these ADS before, but because there have been so many issues about that, I asked that ADS issue. I have only 6 av:s and 2 AT:s installed on my PC but I think that my 512 Mb RAM isn't enough anymore. I have removed these ADS with that proggie before, no problems.

By the way, I can't just get rid off my DrWeb because it seems to be VERY good backup to KAV Personal Pro 5.0. The best backup av I have tested so far.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

Firefighter, Dr Web will show the KAVICHS tags while doing an on demand scan. You just have to look very carefully at the path line while scanning because it is moving very fast. It should look like this, :KAVICHS, on the end of the file that has a KAVICHS tag. Dr Web is the only scanner that I have used that shows the tags.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic.

About the KAV tag remover. I used it, and I am using Nvidia 56.72 video drivers. Drivers were fine after I ran the KAV utility. Not doubting the validity why various people are losing their video drivers. Just wondering why it is happening for some and not others.

14. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I also would like to find a way to disable it, but so far I've had no luck. I've tried to fiddle with all the settings for the start-up scan task, but it still scans the same amount for me. (which adds about 5-10 minutes of CPU crunching at start-up). I've basically tried a ton of exclusions, from excluding the entire C drive, to all .exe and .dll. But it doesn't seem to change anything. Same amount of files still scanned. Seems iChecker speeds it up slightly, but not significantly enough. (Unless iChecker will improve the speed drastically over more time)

15. kfkjdfjdkjf

kfkjdfjdkjf Guest

Some of the files I recall seeing it scan didn't appear to be startup/boot files. That's why I assumed it was scanning the entire drive. Plus, it was taking a loooooonnng time to do it, with 60-100% cpu usage ( Athlon XP2000.) I tried excluding the entire drive as well but that did nothing. I've uninstalled it so I can't recheck.

16. Don Pelotas

Wow, 5-10 minutes that must a record. :eek: ;) On mine (Athlon XP 3200) it takes around one minute, which is acceptable, although not a problem for me i wish they would include the option to disable the startupscan in the next MP. :)

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Firefighter,

Your Exclusions settings appear to include entire folders rather than individual files. This can be a problem since, while there are files that should be excluded from anti-virus scans (notably log files that are updated frequently - like firewall logs), excluding entire folders will mean that executable files will be exempted from scans leaving them open to infection.

While identifying individual files to exclude is more work, it is important to ensure that whatever is excluded cannot be used as an infection route - so only data files that never get executed should be included - sorry, excluded. :)

18. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I am using the 61.41 nVidia drivers. I don't know why the version would have anything to do with whether or not the KAV tool fries the drivers though. I'd like to know also why some of us had terrible problems but others didn't. From what I have read it has mainly been nVidia drivers that got fried. Maybe it also is a combination of the OS with specific drivers?

19. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I think the thing is it has very deep memory scanning, anything that links to anything else is scanned.

(Interesting note, I also have an AthlonXP 2000+. Still riding it out until the dual-core CPUs are out late next year... hopefully no longer)

20. monaff

monaff Guest

am searching for a workable key

for the personal pro version

thanx all

21. Don Pelotas

Monaff, contact http://www.kaspersky.com/support if you are looking for a trial-key, if you are looking for a "free" one, then you are in the wrong forum, as the TOS does not allow these thing's. :)

Regards

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.