Kaspersky Personal PRO 5.0 Released !!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ncs, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncs

ncs Guest

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Hm got to test this thing :)

3. Sisko

Sisko Registered Member

Big disappointment for me :
    Scanning of Network Drive is not allowed in this version

Code:
    It's impossible to scan the network objects with this version of the product
    Sisko

4. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Given how things went last time with Personal, I'm waiting until the MP comes out before I even consider pulling the trigger on this.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have to say I'm more than a little puzzled at the timing of this release.

KAV WS 5.0 started beta testing at the start of June, went through two cycles, and then yielded a release candidate in late August. During this time I can't recall a public beta of KAV 5.0 Personal Pro. Now, there seems to be a fair amount of similarity between KAV 5.0 WS and PP, so I more or less assumed that KAV 5.0 PP would appear more quickly after KAV 5.0 WS than KAV 5.0 WS appeared after KAV 5.0 Personal. Yet, the current release product for the business optimal segment is KAV 4.5.0.104, even though it is the only one of these two to have gone through the full wring-out of a public beta test. I'm not about to tell KL how to run their operation, but this does seem a bit, well..., strange, for lack of a better term.

Blue

6. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I am downloading it now!

From what I understand Pro is Kaspersky's top AV product between Personal, WS and Pro so why would you want WS when you can have Pro?

7. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

can someone please show me some screenies...:lol

8. BlueZannetti

You're correct in rough positioning, but my answer is simple - multiple license discount structure. 5 licenses, current renewal cost ~ $24/seat at this level (well, that's what I paid when I renewed).

The 5.0 WS beta's looked close to Pro in functionality, while the 4.5 level is more similar to Personal. Both WS versions have network support - seemingly missing in the current 5.0 Pro release.

Blue

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Blue, any idea of a place where you can buy and individual license of WS?

10. BlueZannetti

From Ice Systems. They are the reseller I use. Excellent service. Willing to step up when KL support has one of their very infrequent bad days (yes - it can happen). I originally bought 4, added 1, renewed with a 5-pack to synchronize everything. According to the site, it looks like it is still available in units of 1 for the same cost as KAV Personal. Drop them an e-mail - very easy folks to deal with.

Blue

11. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

12. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Is KAV5 any faster? Main reason I dont use it.

13. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Kudos to Kaspersky on this new version!

So far it does not seem buggy at all which had me a tad bit worried after reading others posts. It has a new interface like Personnel 5 making navigation a breeze, and I really like the real time macro scanner. Also after I did a full system scan with Pro it even found a hidden Trojan called Trojan Dopper.win32 agent.bd that Personnel 5 never found! I think we may have the new king of antivirus software with Pro 5!

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

Any place I can trial 4.5.104. I am looking to replace NAV (because I don't like their infrequent update policy). It seems to be the only version that gets uniform praise - I think. Too many unanswered questions on the KAV user forum concerning 5.0 Pro. Currently I testing a trial version of McAfee. Right now I am working with a dat file that is 4 days old. This seems to be too long to me, but I may be mistaken. KAV seems to update more frequently. Would I be missing any key features if I went with 4.5.104 instead of 5.X?

Thanks,
    Rich

15. ninja_style

yeap, same here, after I did a full system scan, it found a virus that was never detected by the non-pro version.

16. ninja_style

I am not sure if it's any faster, but it might by just a bit, but it still takes long to scan files, it's worth it for me though :).

17. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Does the ADS feature still default to on during install?

18. panic

panic Guest

I'm with halcyon:I want to know about the ADS feature, and if they've done away with it (or allow you to disable it). Just got through stripping the ADS files from dozens of photos, files, MP#'s, etc., using TDS-3. I had tried KAV 5.0 trial, and one day later read about the ADS issue. Too late! Besides the files above, every Windows file, every application file, EVERYTHING had ADS attached! I don't like it a bit!

19. panic

panic Guest

Oh, and by the way, everything opened just a little bit slower than before. Was this KAV checking for virus's, or adding the ADS?

20. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi panic,

I was also turned off to KAV after having the same issues with ADS. I think that they have addressed the issue, but I haven't seen a clear answer on the KAV user forum. If I were to guess, it will be a little while before the product really stablizes and I have to make a decision within the next couple of weeks since my NAV subscription is expiring. McAfee 9 is running fine on my machine, but I am only getting weekly updates which is a bit unnerving. However, I am not comfortable with the stability of KAV 5.0. I am going to try to find a trial copy of 4.5.104 and see if that works well enough. It is not clear to me at this point what I would be losing, if anything, if I went with the older version - assuming that I can still purchase it somewhere.

Rich

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Rich

I am puzzled by your post, mainly:
    Would you care to elaborate ? I have used 5.0 since it came out and have not seen any unstabillity or issue's with ads (and yes i have read most of the FUD thread's ;) ), infact in has been amazingly stabil on both my setup's (850 AMD Duron+AMD Athlon 3200). :)

I don't think a trial of 4.5.104 is available, but you can download a copy from the Kaspersky ftp server and buy a key from the official site , it will work with both 4.5 and 5.0 as Kaspersky sell's a one year service, not a version.

BTW. in the latest 5.0 beta you can choose to not install The Ichecker and IStream technologies, if you so wish.
    Beta release notes:
    Please don't take this as a negative post Rich, i am really just a little puzzled. :)

Regards

23. kfkjdfjdkjf

kfkjdfjdkjf Guest

Don, the ADS tags bloat the system restore points causing it to eventually shut down and delete all of the points.

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

My link above your post is to a 30 day trial of KAV 4.5.104.

25. Sisko

Sisko Registered Member

The technology that use ADS is iStreams(tm) in KAV 5.0.

By Default KAV 5.0 Personal Pro use iStreams and then create ADS. There is no option during install to disable it. there is an option to disable it in both Real Time scan and On Demand Scan.

The Maintenance Pack 2 (MP2) for KAV Personal 5.0 (not pro) is in beta testing now and have the option to disable iStreams during the setup but not after in the options !

Sisko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.