Kaspersky or Nod

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

ha ha ha!... talk about paranoyd! I only use ISO's, BIN's, RAR, RAR (self extracting) and ZIPs... couldn't care less about the others!

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just because 'you' only use those,

the product was not made just for you!

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

those aren't all archives, most mentioned there are regular files, executables & documents.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nope not all, but my post was asking if it did infact scan for those, thats all :)

but i think to say 'i only use these formats so dont care about the rest' isnt right, as there will always be people using the product who use them.

5. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Depends on how you see it... I dont care, so i dont care about the rest... others do... thats why AVs also cater for them (scan the other archives) ;) ...
    didnt mean AVs should not bother scanning other archives because I dont use them (which would be a dumb comment)... dont underestimate the dawgg :D

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Some more food for thought.

Kaspersky didn't support on-access archive scanning until v6 if I remember correctly, or maybe it was v5. If malware cannot execute, is corrupt, in an archive, etc., it is harmless. It doesn't pose a threat to a machine. Once it is extracted, it is caught, deleted, then done. I don't really see how it is that much of an issue. Also, the number of archive types really isn't that great, seeing as though most windows users don't even know what the heck bz2 is, let alone will be able to un-compress it.

Also, CSJ, why did you list all of those items? Nod can detect in most of them, and all of them once the object is extracted. BTW, does Dr-Web or KAV detect items with the :Aas;dlkfjawopeihgaweiogh file extension, because my av does (I will not name it to not be biased) ;)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it was just easy to copy paste the file formats, than look through them and pull out the archives and type them in :D

8. Alphalutra1

Nice :D

9. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Then i'm afraid your memory needs a boost..............it's incorrect. :)

10. Alphalutra1

I don't think it needs a boost since it is excellent :D, but I definitely remember hearing that somewhere about a previous version, whether it was AVP or not. I just remember hearing about it not having archive scanning when v5 was current, but it may have been about v4, which has led to the confusion.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  11. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Both are great, high class AV programs. I recommend trying both out,like I did and pick what one you like the best.
    I ran NOD32, It's a great scanner but the GUI is a little clunky and not easy for newbies.Even though I'm not a newbie the GUI didn't appeal to me.
    Then I downloaded Kaspersky Anti-Virus. And I fell in love, and it also caught more viruses then NOD32.
    Both are great you won't be dissapointed with either one. Just Download the trial's of them and try them out.
    At the moment I'm running Kaspersky Anti Virus, and Zone Alarm free firewall.

Those two programs suite me well :)

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

changed my mind. Kaspersky rules period.

13. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

... again :) ... how many times has that been in the last few months or weeks? :D

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Catch the madman! o_O

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this time a 2 year 2 user license. they really need to go to a 1-3 license user agreement. Hey Don, guess who came to dinner!!!!:rolleyes:

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I love these KAV vs Nod threads. As I think about it I think there is a simple technical approach on which to base the decision.

If you like Red it's KAV and if you Like Green it's NOD.:D

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

O.K. Peter, back to square one for those that likes both colors.:D :p

18. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Is it something in the air, or is it the water in Charlotte, NC.? o_O :D :D

19. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

I think both AVs are great. This combination may not be for everyone but I currently use NOD32 in real time because of its efficiency and excellent advanced heuristics and I can use the KAV engine scan on demand as part of ZASS v7. It only takes a few seconds to turn off the NOD32 modules and enable the KAV engine in ZASS for the on demand scan.

I have all the ZASS KAV engine sub-features and scheduling turned off to avoid conflicts from accidentally having both scan engines running in real time. For an issue unrelated to the ZASS KAV engine I read that there can be conflicts with the ZASS IMSecurity component features enabled and NOD32 but I have not experienced any of these reported conflicts since I don't really use IM programs. I recommend being careful not to have any NOD32 modules running (and temporarily turn off or un-check the "Enable automatic startup of AMON" under AMON > Setup button > Security tab) while installing or updating to a new version of ZASS.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  20. mecute

mecute Registered Member

I've been trying NOD for a while. All I can say is "it's a great AV, very light on resources, and is pretty fast". But I can't use it that long because one of my PC (at the other house) is not connected to the internet (It can also be infected through file sharing - use of flash drives). I know Eset does not provide manual downloads of definition files. The solution? Go for a similar product that provides those - Kaspersky or AVG. :thumb:

21. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Most of the threads here seem to concentrate on protection. Just as important is an AV's ability to clean an infection. I have been using NOD32 for a couple of years, and preferred it to Kaspersky simply because it didn't bog down my system. I felt that their protection and detection were pretty much equal. However, that was before I began cleaning infected computers on a regular basis. My, how that has changed my mind! A prime example is this last week. My regional manager's computer (used by his teenage daughter on a high-speed connection with NO firewall OR router) was infected with every piece of crapware that I've ever seen or read about. You name it, it had it. I first scanned with the Dr. Web "Cureit" program. It found 336 viruses, and claimed to have cleaned them. It didn't - in fact, not a single one was eliminated. I then loaded NOD32 on the computer (along with an assortment of other tools), updated the sigs, and went to work. NOD found most of the viruses that Dr Web had found (and not removed). However, even though it claimed to have cleaned them, it did not. In fact, there were several in memory that it was supposed to delete on reboot, but couldn't. A scan with a couple of AS apps showed most of the trojans and crapware were still there. I then uninstalled NOD32 and installed the new Kaspersky 6.0 Internet Suite. I then put KAV to work. The initial scan took around 5 hours, and KAV found three times the crap any of the others found. The big difference, however, was that KAV was able to CLEAN the crapware off the computer. There were still a few baddies left behind for which I had to use some specialized tools to remove, but I have to admit that I was more than impressed with KAV. In removing some of the worst crapware available on the net, there were three tools that were incredibly impressive:

KAV - dealt with most of the badware
    SuperAntispyware - Removed the really difficult stuff totally!
    Rootkit Unhooker - Unlocked some of the badware so the first two could do their jobs. :thumb:

Because of these three great products, the computer is now clean. As a result, I ended up loading AOL AVS on his computer, which uses the Kaspersky engine and sigs. Also, I ended up switching myself. We can argue pros and cons all we want, but the cleaning aspect is where the rubber meets the road, and NOD just didn't make the cut.

22. mecute

mecute Registered Member

Agree to that. Though NOD finds all these things, it really does not clean or eliminate them. It will just say "You can manually delete it". This is not we're after...

23. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

It looks like I'm on the right track as you can see my realtime protection in my Avatar. :D As On-Demand scan I use SuperAntispyware too. ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

24. rothko

rothko Registered Member

that's not the experience i had when i had to clean a hugely infected computer a while back, NOD32 brought it back from the dead quickly and easily. it's all down to personal experience and you found kav to be more effective.

and as important as the cleaning process is, I personally think the protection offered is more important. having used NOD32 for 6 years+ now I've never had to clean my pc with anything - not even NOD32 - it has stopped anything getting on there in the first place. prevention is better than cure.

25. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

I have tried KIS on my laptop, but l was not happy with it.

than I formatted it and reninstall everything and now

NOD32 and OA2 is giving better solution.

that is making me happy too. :D :thumb: :D :thumb: :D :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.