Kaspersky or Nod

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Feb 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or if you dont trust kaspersky new technology then dont use kaspersky.
    dont trust it dont use it
    lodore

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, thanks :)

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

My fault as always. I didn't include "list all files" in On-Demand scan setup. :mad: After that my scan log seems to be like this.

Date: 12.3.2007 Time: 20:08:59
    Anti-Stealth technology is enabled.
    Scanned disks, folders and files: J:\Test\
    J:\Test\bcarchive.exe »GZ - archive damaged
    J:\Test\BitComet_0.84_setup.exe »NSIS »search_el_gr.mht »MIME - error occurred while reading archive
    J:\Test\jpf2setup.exe »GZ - archive damaged
    J:\Test\PATCH.EXE »FSG v1.33 - unpack error
    J:\Test\rar-password-recovery.exe »NSIS »example.rar »RAR »example.txt - Incorrect file checksum (CRC), the file is probably password protected.
    J:\Test\rar-password-recovery.exe »NSIS »urapwd2x.dll »UPX v12_m2_dll - unpack error

Number of scanned files: 1648
    Number of threats found: 0
    Time of completion: 20:09:36 Total scanning time: 37 sec (00:00:37)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Btw, these "archive damaged" installers are actually working ones, just tried. Maybe to have a better note than "archive damaged".

Attached Files:

4. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Use both. Free AOL Active Virus Shield (has Kaspersky 6 engine) plus NOD32 with only IMON module enabled. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Yes.

If iSwift and iChecker have been previously enabled, KAV still does not check all files even if you uncjeck "scan new and changed files only".

I'm going to install KAV on another OS and see what is the effect of unchecking iSwift and iChecker for a full scan and subsequent scans.

And, I'm not sure that calculating those checksums takes that long.

6. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

kav will scan those only if:
    -you have perform an update
    -the file anti-virus hasn't scanned them after that update.

iswift doesn't use checksums, it uses ntfs identifiers, that's why it's fast at processing large files.

7. Howard Kaikow

Nope, some files are still skipped.
    Look thru the Event log.

8. plantextract

i looked and see nothing. make sure the stratup scan hasn't scan those files

9. Howard Kaikow

It is skipping more than just the startup files.

10. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Switch to another AV if you dont trust Kaspersky as lodore said.

11. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Does this page help explain things?

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=193239261

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If they will only scan some file again after it be modified, how KAV can detect a possible virus that previously didn't detected because it didn't have the signature for it?

13. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Good question. I'm using KIS 6 at this time, so I'd like to know the answer to that also.

14. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Kaspersky will scan the file again over time, but it depends on your scanning settings... some settings will cause Kaspersky to scan ALL files (which will alert user about new virus during/after scan) and other settings will cause Kaspersky to use iSwift + iChecker where Kaspersky may detect the virus on the scan, or Kaspersky may detect the virus after some time (as mentioned on the website TonyW mentioned.
    I was also slightly concerned regarding this when I read it, but then thought... when was the last time my AV detected a virus which was lying around on my PC and only detected it after an update... never... all the viruses i get on my PC are detected as soon as i download them and have never found a virus after doing a scan because it was missed because of iSwift and iChecker.

15. Howard Kaikow

Precisely, that's the problem.

The article uses smoke and mirrors, to attempt to explain things.

There is no such thing as an algorithm that can predict when a file should be rescanned.
    Most certainly not based on frequency of use.

THere needs to be a way to force all files to be scanned whenever the user chooses to do so.

Perhaps, this is possible IF, before running KAV the FIRST time, iSwift and iChecker are disabled. But that would cause a severe performance hit as files would be rescanned BETWEEN updates too.

16. Howard Kaikow

Once iSWoft and iChecker are enabled, there does not applear to be ANY way to force ALL files to be scanned.

Perhaps, this is possible IF, before running KAV the FIRST time, iSwift and iChecker are disabled. But that would cause a severe performance hit as files would be rescanned BETWEEN updates too.

Well, let's face reality.

1. You download some files on, say Monday, and immediately run a full scan.
    No malware is detected. Great!

2. However, somebody later, perhaps almost immediately, discovers that malware is present in some preciously downloaded files. You cannot detect these until AFTER there is a subsequent update to the sigs/programs AND RESCAN the files.

KAV has the right idea in using iSwift and iChecker to reduce repeated scanning. KAV fails by NOT giving the user an easy, if any, way to force the rescanning of ALL files

17. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I agree, there should be an option to just switch it off completely. But as far as I understand it the files will be rescanned eventually, according to the "algorithm" which we don't know. So we don't know if this is really a concern for security. But my feeling is that the files will be rescanned rather quite often than seldom.

But as was said earlier, if you don't trust it, don't use it.
    That's what I do. If you still want Kaspersky's good protection, there are other products with its engine.

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

KAV cannot work this way, it should be other thing that we don't know... :)

Maybe some expert can illuminate us... :D

19. plantextract

i think the tab is called additional, there you can turn off iswift & ichecker for a scan.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have ichecker and iswift enabled on both file av and on scans.
    so hopefully if there was malware then it would be find it.
    but anyway say e.g. in the update there was a virus which has the process blah.exe but it was on the pc before the update wouldnt kav look for that file since its just been able to protect against it?
    lodore

21. plantextract

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  22. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It is possible, as plantextract says.....you do that in "Additional" and files will be always rescanned again, but there is not much point in not using iSwift/iChecker.

23. Howard Kaikow

The underlying concern is the smoke and mirrors Kaspersky uses to describe their "algorithm" that can determine when a file should be rescanned.

At best, they can keep track of which new signatures/program updates apply to particular file types. If that's what they are doing, fine, but tell us! That's not rocket science!!

And, in any case, there should be an option that forces a total rescan even if iSwift and iChecker are enabled.

24. Howard Kaikow

Yes, iSwift and iChecker should not be disabled.
    At least we agree on 1 thing.

25. huldu

huldu Registered Member

This is a tough nut for me.

Kaspersky has a great look and feel to it. But the bad thing is (on my computer), over the years. Its really slow scanning archives. A while back it would even freeze my computer scanning a big archive file. It doesnt do that anymore, now it just takes very long.

Nod32 the gui could really use a hand. Its very fast scanning on my computer and i really like that. From reading alot it seems KAV is "safer" and more likely to detect certain viruses/trojans etc.

If it werent for the horribly scanning times on KAV i would probably go with that. But for now im sticking with Nod32.

What i like about kaspersky is that they got a suite. With Nod32 i run with a firewall by its side. Thats one thing i dislike using Nod32.

Its a horrible scale, speed of scan vs kaspersky suite.

Well to be honest i dont surf around that much on weird sites, nor do i download that many "weird" files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.