Kaspersky, NOD32 or Bitdefender?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gracie123, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

I am interested in Bitdefender, NOD32 and Kaspersky antivirus. Can you tell me which one would be the best choice? :)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gracie

The answer you are going to get this way is confusion. You ought to trial all three and see which best suits your needs and feels comfortable on your computer.

Pete

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

That is the way to go, trial them and see which one you like. Asking a question like this will just get you the personal opinion of most of the repliers. The only way to see which is best for you is to trial them and see which one you and your computer likes. ;)
    bigc

4. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

those are the top 3 , camnt go wrong with any of them

5. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi everyone :), well I'd actually like to see everyone's personal opinion. I like all 3, and would like Bitdefender but I think NOD32 or Kaspersky might be better? I heard this from somewhere....

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for older computer (or if u just want speed) id go with nod32. if u must have strong malware detection (and have a faster computer) go with KAV. BitDefender is kinda inbetween, but i personally dislike how it has to restart its resident process whenever it updates. also like has been previously said, what works for one may not for another, so just trial each one and make ur own opinion.

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you have an older computer (Pentium III or below) I would go with NOD or KAV.

IME, BitDefender is heavier in real-time and would be more appropiate on a newer computer.

If you run First Defense then BD or KAV may be a better choice, as NOD is the only one of these 3 AV's that scans all snapshots.

8. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

1. Running an Amd Athlon XP 1800+ at 1,53 Ghz. with Windows XP Pro + SP2 and run Nod32 at the moment, goes as smooth as silk all the way......great updates etc. etc. For me 1st choice, all the way!

2. Second choice would be for me: Antivir 7.0 Classic freeware!!! Newest release is just great and runs like hell on my system.....updating is great!

Tried KAV 5.0.522 (latest release) this week again, but makes my PC just crawl! Kav is greatest AV scanner, I think, but I am always having trouble with the speed on my system and therefore not suited for me.

Also tried the latest Bitdefender just a week ago, but same story regarding the speed. It must be a great scanner also, but bringing my system down to a crawl makes Bitdefender a no..no... for me.

9. Blackcat

Set the RTM to scan only program files rather than ALL files and reduce the overhead in the General Settings as shown.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  10. Benvan45

Thanks for your reaction Blackcat and I'll give that a try next time. Same story for Kav?

11. Blackcat

On my systems, the Real-Time Monitor of KAV 5 with its default settings runs a lot lighter than the Running Guard of BD with its default settings.

A number of users have also found the new version of KAV 5 resource/CPU intensive. So if testing again, I would try the previous version, 5.0.391 over 5.0.522, or give the latest beta a try.

12. Benvan45

Will do, thanks for the tips......!!!

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I have tried both BD9 and KAV 5 522, no slowdowns at all with either program.
    522 is "NOD32" light on my machine, intel mobile 1400 512mb, BD9 was a touch heavier with a larger footprint but, no real noticable impact on system resources. Just a little FYI

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Simply put Gracie , do what BigC said and roll on . Any of the 3 are fine choices . You cannot go wrong with any of them . Try them and find the one you like the best and keep it . It really is that simple .

15. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

I made this decision a short time ago and settled on BitDefender9. It uses a little more computer resources than I expected, especially when Firefox starts racking up the memory usage, but even with my Barton 2500 - 512MB RAM rig, I don't notice any slowdown compared to the Norton AV I was using before. NOD32 would be a good choice as well as Kapersky, but these programs were a little on the pricey side for my single computer use. I got BD9 for $20.USD, seems to be doing a good job so far.

16. Blackcat

Apart from the cheaper price, another advantage is that as part of the license agreement, you can install another copy of BD free of charge, on a laptop if you have one ;)

17. ronbo613

ronbo613 Registered Member

There have been a few issues with BD9 that have come to my attention in the past few days and the pre-purchase information I received from the BD9 was quite different from post-purchase "support".
    I don't believe that an antivirus program should require the removal of most other security software. BitDefender9 is not compatible with many anti-malware programs many computer users depend on, but, surprise, it will work perfectly with the BitDefender Internet Security Suite!
    My opinion of BitDefender9 is not as high as it was a couple days ago. I said earlier that it was doing a good job, I don't know if it's working(due to some incompatibility issue), or just appears to be working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.