Kaspersky: Is it true that ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by comma dor dash, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. comma dor dash

comma dor dash Registered Member

Kaspersky Anti-Hacker is not officially available anymore?

both KIS6 and KAV6 cannot be installed if KAH is installed?

the KAH component is DEEPLY BURIED within KIS6 (e.g., it has no separate task tray icon) and the rules editor has been completely screwed up so that (i) you cannot properly create any secure rules (within a reasonable amount of time) and (ii) you cannot get a DETAILED and EASILY & QUICKLY editable summary of the entire ruleset?

you should avoid KIS/KAV 6 at all costs (unless you are lucky because instable & bloated Outpost Firewall does not cause bluescreens on your computer and, therefore, you can use this wall as an alternative to KAH)?

you may still use KIS 6 as a self-assessment test (i.e., if you believe that the firewall component can be quickly & properly configured you can be sure that you have never ever properly configured a firewall and have absolutely no clue about network security)?

there are no properly CONFIGURABLE firewalls (except Outpost and the strange Tiny/Kerio/Sunbelt wall with the constantly changing development team) on the market anymore?

the entire Kaspersky development team became addict to Absolut Vodka?

Please help ... I'm confused. o_O

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well ZoneAlarm is still the best firewall for home users in terms of nice GUI and ease of configuration with decent protection. Too bad it has problems on other ends (TrueVector engine performance and resource usage, P2P compatibility).

Can't really see a reason why anyone would need to avoid KAV6.
    It's a fine pieace of code. Maybe still not exactly super stable as it's brand new thing, but will get more stable and bug free after some time.
    Works excellent with WinXP SP2 FW.
    You can also unselect KIS6 AH module during installation from what i can remember from beta testing so don't know why you couldn't use other firewalls with it instead.

But i do agree that KIS6 AH module is far to aggressive and complicated for target users which are meant to use this (home users). Most of them don't even have clue whats port and different com protocols, let alone more technical stuff. People simply prefer Allow or Deny program. And i don't blame them. I'm an advanced user and it's real pain in the ass to find such firewall in these days.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

1 & 2. Yes, KAH is incompatible with KAV 6 and KIS 6. It is now part of KIS and therefore appears to be no longer a standalone product on their main site.

4. At least worth testing on your system! They have tried to accomplish a hell of a lot with this new version;

In KAV 6, an upgrade of the File AV and Mail AV and incorporation of the new ProActive Defense and Web AV.

In KIS 6, in addition to the above 4 modules you have a revamped Antihacker and AntiSpam and a new AntiSpy!

There are still teething problems, particularly when using third-party firewalls with KAV 6 but they know of the major difficulties and are looking into them in the new betas and MP1.

You can therefore simply disable/uninstall/custom install whichever modules work best on your system.

4. comma dor dash

@Blackcat

It seems to me that I have to decide whether I want to use KAV/KIS 6 or a decent firewall.

It goes without saying that a good firewall is much more important than a random scanner. You can simply throw KAV/KIS into the bin and decide for NOD32, BitDefender, KAV5 or whatever. By contrast, it's very difficult find a decent firewall.

The problem is that (most?) users do not even notice what's going on. They have never properly configured a firewall and cannot even imagine why it is NOT correct to use/create "allow all" rules for applications like iexplorer.exe, generic host process or the like. That makes me mad.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

1+2. Yes & no, 1.8 does not work with Kav 6.0, but 1.9 will, it's in beta ATM.
    3. There is no tray-icon for KAH, but you can access the seetings (including KAH's) via it and yes, you can edit quite easily, at least in my opinion.
    7. Actually they mostly drink beer............

6. comma dor dash

The current KAH beta does NOT work with KAV/KIS 6 (installation fails). I have not tried any tricks to bypass the check.

Please let me know how many mouse clicks/moves etc. it takes you to create rules like:

This rule allows the application SVCHOST.EXE to send and receive UDP
    packets if the following conditions are met: remote address xxx.xxx.xx.xx and
    remote port DNS (53)

Please also count how many mouse clicks/moves it takes you to edit such rules.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

KAV 6 works well with LooknStop, and Kerio 2.1.5.

Jerry

8. comma dor dash

Do you know whether LnS is now a "real" personal firewall with full application filtering? For instance, would be easily possible to create the above rule with LnS? Thx.

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am using KAV6 with jetico and have not experienced any problems. It takes a little time to get it set up correctly and eliminate the pop ups. Once your rules are set up it is very smooth and light on resources.

10. comma dor dash

Jetico?? I am really surprised. Could please show me a few of your rules? I never met someone who created "real" rules with Jetico.

11. auriell

auriell Registered Member

OP is not bad at all. You can disable all plugins, disable logging, etc. At the end you have a nice and fine running application.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sorry, but I know little as to the details. All I can vouch for is that the two work well together on my machine.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.