Kaspersky IS 7 a Dreadful Program Choice for Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

2. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

I'm no Kaspersky hater. When I read on this forum last April about the Systweak deal for 3-year KIS v6 licenses, I eagerly bought one in anticipation of using it when I bought a Vista PC and expecting it to work when KIS v7 was released.

I bought a new Vista PC in early July but the Systweak KIS code wouldn't work for the Beta version of KIS v7. So I installed NOD32 and relied on the Windows firewall. When the release version of KIS v7 became available, I installed it and was delighted when my Kaspersky key file was accepted for activation. KIS v7 appeared to be a superior anti-virus program and I really liked the registry protection feature.

I didn't care for the firewall, however. The default "low" setting only seemed to provide incoming protection like the Windows firewall. Raising the level to "training mode" resulted in a barrage of popup warnings worse than any previous firewall I'd tested. I expect, and want, a firewall to warn me when a program is attempting to call out. The KIS firewall generated popups for every website I visited rather than simply warn me about a program trying to access the Internet when I don't want it to. I decided to leave the KIS firewall set to low and figured it was no worse than relying on the Windows firewall. I was far happier with the Sygate firewall on my old XP PC.

As I've reported in the FirstDefense-ISR forum, after I switched from NOD32 to KIS, FD-ISR snapshots took three times longer to create or update. Snapshots which took an hour or so to make with NOD32 installed took 3.5 hours with KIS installed. Turning off KIS or placing all FD-ISR services and folders inside the "trusted zone" made no difference. This afternoon, I grew so frustrated with the long FD-ISR snapshot times with KIS that I replaced it with NOD32 then installed KIS v7 on my old XP PC. When I went online to activate, neither my Kaspersky key file or the KIS activation code I received from Systweak were accepted. :mad: I wound up returning KIS v7 to my Vista PC by restoring an Acronis True Image backup.

I guess I'm either going to have to live with needlessly long FD-ISR snapshot copy times or find a different security suite which works better on my Vista PC with FD-ISR. I'm still puzzled why KIS refused to activate on my XP PC. I'm not sure if it's related to my KIS code coming from Systweak or whether I'd exceeded some number of activation limits since I've been reinstalling KIS so much lately trying to get it to function compatibly with FD-ISR on my Vista PC.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Karen,
    I am surprised that your key would not work. I would ask on the KL forums and/or contact KL Support.

Hope you get it to work on the machine you want it to be on.

Regards,
    Jerry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2007
  4. Karen76

Karen76 Registered Member

Hello Jerry,

I recall from a couple long Systweak threads in this forum that several people contacted Kaspersky when their key files or codes wouldn't work with KIS v7 beta. Different officials at Kaspersky provided entirely different answers. Some people were flatly told their licenses were only valid for KIS v6 not v7 and were told to take their problems to Systweak. Systweak's position was essentially "We sold you a KIS v6 license; we never said it would work in KIS v7." I was pleasantly surprised when my key file activated KIS v7 on my Vista PC. Why KIS v7 won't activate using the same key file or activation code on my old XP PC is on my list of software mysteries.

I "want" KIS v7 on my new Vista PC. I "want" the KIS firewall to warn me when unauthorized programs attempt to call out yet not constantly assail me with popups when I browse websites. I "want" my FD-ISR snapshots to not take three times longer to create with KIS installed. It appears I must be satisfied with only one of these "wants" fulfilled. :(

I'm more than a little curious why other users of Vista/KIS v7/FD-ISR aren't experiencing the same unduly long snapshot creation times I am. Life is not fair. :'(

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

systweak keys work on vista for KIS7, this i know :)

6. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I wonder at times if they can all understand each other!

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

While it's great to see that everyone's priorities are properly aligned, let's try to stay on topic, even if that topic may be a tad lower on the priority list. Thanks.

Blue

8. dread

dread Registered Member

I have been trying out Kaspersky 7. I was using McAfee. I like the firewall in Kaspersky, it is great no problems there. What I do not like about Kaspersky is that if you set it up to scan all files all the time it will greatly affect your performance. With McAfee, Trend, and more that option is set by default and you cannot tell the program is scanning all files all the time. By default Kaspersky 7 is set to " Scan programs and documents (by content)", I do not know about everyone else but that makes me feel less secure. In my opinion all antivirus programs should be set to scan all files all the time. Kaspersky needs to improve their performance when having Kaspersky set to scan all files all the time. I also run Kaspersky in "Compatibility mode" because I have a Logitech webcam and anyone that has a Logitech webcam and is using updated drivers knows what I mean. For those who don't just look in the Kaspersky or Logitech forums.

9. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

Just tried KIS as well, and its a horrible program, I've never seen so much memory usage and CPU usage from a firewall/antivirus since I've dropped Norton in the year 2000.
    I also have a lot of files on my PC and its constantly running at 30MB RAM and 90% CPU usage. Just not acceptable. What a crap software is this, most horrible software I've seen in years.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

get its brother, FSIS 2008. A completly better overall suite then Kasperskys.

11. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

For me a AV brand name doesn't say everthing, trial..trial..trail, that's the magic..

12. Pwntje

Pwntje Registered Member

I will check that one out. I have NOD32 now since I still got that license, but I don't have any firewall now, so I'm testing as much as possible :)

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

A strong caution about turning this into a discussion of alternate AV's. It will be closed if that happens. Post about Kaspersky period.

Pete

14. Ngwana

Ngwana Registered Member

Yep! On Vista 64-bit KIS 7 gave me trouble in more ways than one, but on Vista 32-bit it is nearly flawless.

I was counting on 'Certified for Vista', hoping MS shared a few things for Kaspersky to find a way around Kernel Patch Protection. I tried everything I know to configure and optimize KIS but nothing helped in my case. :cool:

15. fce

fce Registered Member

3.5 hours making snapshot with KIS7 installed :eek:

16. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I'm running Kis7 on 3 comps at home with no problems at all:thumb: .But i tried to install it on Vista and it never went as expected.This computer is only a few months but the install had me pulling my hair out:thumbd: I figured this was a Vista problem.However i'm going to install a trial for a friend in the next few days with XP home.Hope all goes well.

17. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Installed on my daughter's laptop running Vista Home Premium Edition and running like a dream...dare I say it but better that XP that I run on our main PC. Think that the issues must be the old dreaded 'work on some but is naff on others' syndrome.;)

18. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

That's what i was trying to install it on.Home Premium on a laptop,it was a bad experience:'( .Your install went fine.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.