Kaspersky Internet Security installer question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quadrophonic, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I see that it's currently free after rebate at Outpost and Staples.

Since I'm happy with Zone Alarm Pro, does the installer for KIS give you the ability to just install the AV module or do I have to install the entire program and disable the firewall service, along other dll and exe autoruns?

2. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

Yes, there should be an option to install av components only.

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

yes, you have that possibility. either by choosing install av components only or by choosing custom and selecting the components you want to exclude.

4. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

The components in the installer is modularized. You can choose to install whatever combination you like.

5. quadrophonic

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies. Why wouldn't NOD32 and all the other top rated AV programs be offering the same thing? We all know what kind of resource hog Norton is, but according to AV-Comparatives, it's now top of the line and even that is often offered free after rebates.

I'm going to order it now. I assume the license is for a year. Is that a year after installation and registration, because I just registered for the free 6 month trial of Avira Premium that was mentioned in another thread. This could give me 18 months of excellent, free AV protection.

How is the KIS AV on system resources and the firewall in comparison to ZA Pro? Right now I see that ZA Pro is using about 26 mg ram. I've tried NOD32 and Avira PE Classic and they were both low on ram usage.

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

do not judge and purchase soooo quickly

also, norton '2007' is not a resource hog, try it and see. :)

i suggest you try some trials, before being lured towards this deal and then make a choice on which you prefer.

7. quadrophonic

Unfortunately, since I'm still running Win 2000 Pro, I can't install NIS 2007, although I bought it for free AR along with Norton Ghost and Paritition Magic last month.

What are your reservations with Kaspersky's AV?

8. Kaelthas

Kaelthas Registered Member

Kaspersky do get along well with ZA pro 7.0.337.000 .I use it rigt now,no problem with both.

But you have to configure them to compactible with each other:

1 in ZA :
    Let the KAV has the highest Trust Level (Three green bars),and allow its
    Access( trusted internet),Server(Trusted Internet) Enable Privavy of this
    program, in the options check Authenticate programs by full names only,Allow
    application interaction;(program Control>Program>Options)
    Change the Program Control Level to Medium,in the "custom" check all BUT
    "Enable Advanced Program Control".Leave the OS Firewall Special Syatem Protection" Intact;
    2 in KIS:
    Set File and Mail Anti-Virus, to Recommended and set Action to Block>Disinfct>Delete.Set WEB Anti-Virus to HIGH and Action Block;
    MOST IMPORTANT:in Proactive Defense > Enable Application Activity
    Analyzer> UNCHECK the BOX DANGEROUS BEHAVIOUR,all rest checked.All the other Enabled
    If you install KIS in full ,please uninstall ZA first, or elae KIS will uninstall ZA automatically for you;after install KIS ,you can install ZA--just remenber to disable KIS's Anti-Hack Model--using 2 firewall at the same time might bring unexpected problems.But I thnk, if you buy ZA ,why not choose KAV ? In some case the funtionhttp://www.wilderssecurity.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    s in both are the same,you do not need to pay more.
    Good Luck!!

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Note that the KAV or KIS license will start automatically 3 months after the license key file or activation number is issued. If you are going to use KIS after 6 months, buy it after 6 months or only when are sure you will install it.

10. quadrophonic

Isn't the license activation key issued after installation? If I buy KIS in a store, and don't install it for six months, won't the activation date be the date of install, as the license key won't be issued until then? After all, the box and disk that I purchase could be sitting on the shelf for six more months anyway.

I think you may be referring to an online download of KAV or KIS.

11. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

If you buy from an online store, you will be issued an activation code immediately from the online store and it will count 3 months from the date of issue of the activation code.

If you purchase a boxed version, for version 5.X, you will have a serial number on a card. Simply enter the serial number on the web site (local distributor of Kaspersky) provided and you will be issued a license key. That license key will count from the date it was issued. So, only get the license key when you are sure to install it.

If you buy a box version of 6.X, you will get an activation code . Simply activate only when you are sure to start using KIS.

So, if you want to buy now to take advantage of the special price of a box version, activate only when you are sure to start using KIS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.