Kaspersky Internet Security good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by The Red Moon, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed, see TOS if in doubt

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I find it very interesting that kaspersky lab always seems to be a step ahead when it comes to discovering new major threats on a large scale..Says a lot for them as a company.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it's very good. But way too heavy for my taste.

4. The Red Moon

That is something i have never experienced with kaspersky..It uses more resources than some security suites but it has never ever slowed my computer down at all.
    In fact some lighter programs have actually slowed this pc down to a crawl more than kaspersky ever would.:D

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

lucky you man:)

6. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Same here
    Kaspersky Internet security uses almost 100 MB more Ram than Bitdefender AV plus and Comodo FW combo
    but application access times and general PC performance is stellar in comparison to BD+Comodo combo

the only setup i've used that uses lesser RAM but even more responsive than KIS 2013 has to be my previous setup of Avira Premium+Comodo

7. The Red Moon

Ive never witnessed kaspersky use any more than 65mb of ram and it seems to handle its memory management extremely well...
    I have not seen any noticeable difference between having kaspersky installed and it not being installed.
    Different systems will run it in different ways so mileage may vary and useability etc.

8. VectorFool

I didn't measure the total RAM/CPU usage just by looking at application Processes in TaskManager,
    rather i always compare RAM/CPU usage by measuring total idle RAM usage of the setup

My machine with BDAV 2013+Comodov6 uses 1.2GB RAM (average idle) and random spikes in CPU usage
    KIS 2013 1.3GB (average idle)
    Avira Premium+Comodo v6 <1GB RAM (average idle)

9. The Red Moon

I gave the new comodo a whirl and although it is lighter on resources it slowed my computer down more than kaspersky.
    The browsing is more snappy with KIS and thats even with a web filter running.:eek:
    In all honesty that could be due to changing to the opera browser which seems to run far better for me than the comodo dragon browser which seemed to interfere with my network connection.
    Just how it goes sometimes.o_O

10. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I also noticed how Kaspersky seems to run lighter than in the past but every time I run Comodo, it seems light as well. Avast (my favorite) is the one that slows my pc now....in fact, as you said, KIS is more snappy!:thumb:

11. iceman86

iceman86 Registered Member

New here, just signed up, please be gentle with me ;)

The only A-V I know is Kaspersky and I was going to purchase it but I found out this forum throught searching. Would you say it is a good choice for a non-techie user?

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it is super strong and install and forget kind of thing :) you are doing good buddy:thumb:
    if it doesnt slow you down go for it:thumb:

13. pablozi

pablozi Registered Member

I have just switched from Emsisoft combo (EAM + OA) to KIS 2013 and I am really impressed.
    My last try was KIS 2012 and it was a real bloat - huge CPU usage, many writes to HDD and RAM consuption around 200 MB's in idle.
    With 2013 version it is all gone. Really small footprint on my laptop performance. KIS is really light on resources and it provides very strong protection. Almost no footprint on CPU and RAM usage in idle is around 70 - 90 MB's. HDD finally have some rest too ;)

14. xorrior

xorrior Registered Member

It probably has nothing to do with their FSB sponsorship and having SAAS contracts with over a dozen different nations(which is funny cause all it's core-executives are ex-KGB and still have security clearance)...

Outside some ATAPI and DCOM stuff it's identical with NIS and a lot of other main AIO that basically use watchdog threads and NDIS patching. Like every other security product, good till ring0 code execution or system token execution.. then it's checkmate

someone actually killed it recently with dll injection to svchost.exe, but that takes MAC social-engineering to bypass HIPS

15. fax

fax Registered Member

Yes, it is. You can set-it up to be completely silent.

16. The Red Moon

Ine not been using kaspersky for that long and ive thrown a few bad links at it which it dealt with rapidly..as for super strong well ive not really tested it.
    How does it compare with comodo as ive been using comodo on and off for years.
    Im quite happy with how KIS performs.:D

17. The Red Moon

You can kill all security apps.ive seen videos of comodo being uninstalled by keyloggers etc.(the malware research group)
    I dont have a problem with the KGB etc...too much paranoia on the internet.o_O o_O

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've had a few updating issues, but nothing that would make me seriously consider dropping the product and switching to something else. One bonus of KIS is the banner blocker. I normally run Ad Muncher but had it disabled for a few hours...actually had forgot I'd disabled it because the banner blocker of KIS seems to do a pretty good job of getting rid of many, basic banner ads. It doesn't do the detailed job of an ad blocker such as AM or AB+ but it's a nice bonus feature.

19. VectorFool

I am very very impressed with Kaspersky IS 2013
    Great Antivirus, Great firewall
    and light on my system

my only issue with it is the slow Shutdown time
    my machine shuts down now in about 45 seconds

but with my previous setup of Avira+Comodo it shut down in 8 secs

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

KIS is very strong. :thumb:

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

strong indeed:thumb:

22. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have now been using KIS 2013 for a couple of months and I must say that I like it. It sits very quiet and dont bother you at all. Now and then it finds something malicious on the web and takes care of it when I click some link.
    Only time I notice that I have it installed is when I download a big (50Mb or more) .exe then KIS scans it about 10-15+ seconds after execution.

I have noticed that there is alot of configuration that can be done if you like to dig into that, but for me the default protection feels enough. I bought it at Download Crew for $24 with three licenses for a year. They got really nice prices on offers overall for software at Download Crew imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.