Kaspersky Full Scan taking over 15hrs and counting

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Tempot, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tempot

Tempot Registered Member

Well I heard this thing was slow, but this is ridiculous. I don't know how any AV software can take this long. I actually left this thing overnight to continue scanning and to my surprise it wasn't done when I woke up. The computer hadn't locked up or anything, it was actually still scanning. I could hear my HD working. I'm running Windows XP Pro, with Online Armour 2 Firewall, and Pentium Core 2 Duo, 3GHz, 3 GB of Ram. Can anyone confirm if they have seen this take this long. BTW, I tried to stop the scan, but it wouldn't stop. so I just restarted.

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Never taken anywhere near that long on my systems, looking at 3-5 hours-ish normally.
    What was it scanning when you attempted to shut down - folder?

Do you have any other programs running at the time of scan eg, another anti-malware application or defragmenting software?
    If yes, exit it.
    Ensure your old AV was fully uninstalled - remnants can cause problems

Try setting your scan as shown below.
    Also try not to scan SystemBackup... and Mail

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      68.7 KB
      Views:
  3. icr

icr Registered Member

also depends on size of files/folders scanning mine took approx 1hr
    to scan my 1TB hd but 3-4 hrs is quite abnormal

4. Rapid Dr3am

Rapid Dr3am Registered Member

I had Kaspersky take over 24 hours on my laptop. It was stuck scanning MSOCache in my root directory.

5. Tempot

Tempot Registered Member

Well this is the setting I had it on. I always put my settings to all files when doing a deep scan or full scan. But no other AV has taken that long. I mean Avira took just under 2 and a half. NOD32 took under 2hrs. And I never have anything else running including firewall. I disconnect the internet as well.
    I feel regardless of the settings, it should never take that long. It was only at 85% done. BTW, I should mention that I was using the trial versions of all AV apps mentioned except NOD23. Haven't decided what I want yet. And I did do a full uninstall of each app before installing the next trial.

Attached Files:

6. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

DEpends on what files you have.

The first scan should be a full scan and should not omit any files.
    Subsequent scans should be quicker.

On my multiboot system, I have 4 Windows OS, so lots of files are there 4 times.

Used to take 50-60 hours to do a full scan.
    Have not done one in a while.

If you have lots of archives, install files, compressed files, help files, and other highly compressed files of that ilk, KAV will take a long time.

I used to have 4 copies of the Oct 2001 MSDN library installed, one for each OS. I now share one copy amongst the OS, and several hours were saved.

VS .NET and Visual Studioo help files take a long time to scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.