Kaspersky: Can I ask this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mijale, Jul 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mijale

mijale Registered Member

I've used Kaspersky for 6.5 years on my Lenova T61. I've had no crashes, no problems and I'm not adept at programming or what not. In other words, I don't modify the system to perform as I want.
    Everyone has talked more about how much speed/load Kaspersky takes as it has evolved. My subscription is running out soon and I'd like to continue with no crashes. I've enjoyed Kaspersky, but I also don't want to overload my computer.
    Can I use the new software, modify its performance, and still be protected like I've been?
    Is there a "how to" to streamline the performance of the software to do as I'm asking?
    o_O

2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

not sure what exactly you want to do. new Kaspersky is lighter on resources than the old versions.

3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Ditto.Try it for a couple of days and see if it works for you.

4. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Don't get too wrapped up into taking comments about AV killing their speed from the power user/geeks on this site and others. It appears you have been happy with Kaspersky for years. The real problem I see is you have very outdated hardware. The power users are the ones who whine about AV slowing them down, the average guy may not notice it unless it is really bad. Plan for it on your next purchase.

When you buy your next laptop, build in/buy in power to run AV and say Malwarebytes Pro and get the next level processor and added ram so you have zero issues using AV plus.

From your hardware and how you see to be happy with Kaspersky with that slow outdated hardware. Instead of buying a cheapy i3 processor laptop and 4 GB ram that you would of picked, buy up to an i5 with 8 GB ram and you never will have an issue.

Just as with having an Apple Tax with beautiful hardware and materials, you have to pay a Microsoft Tax with buying up on ram and the next level processor to run the POSSIBILITY of heavy AV. Most AV is getting better at resources use of late.

5. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I used Kaspersky 2013 and I found my system to still be very fast and smooth. If you've been using Kaspersky all these years and haven't had any problems I'm sure your good experience will continue with the new version.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

How old/what is the version of Kaspersky you're using? I found versions 2010, and 2011 indeed becoming more heavy, 2012 is a bit lighter again, and 2013 even more so. 2014 release is around the corner and it supposed to have more performance improvements. Btw, unless your version is really old, if your license is still valid, you can install newer versions for free.

7. mijale

mijale Registered Member

Lots to respond to and lots to thank you for.
    I'm running the 2013 version. I skipped the '09-'12 versions completely and updated for free about a year ago.

As for the laptop upgrade in the future, I'll keep it in mind.
    When I bought this Lenovo, I custom ordered it to get a minimum of five years out of it without losing any speed or space. The suggestion of making sure there's enough RAM and processing speed fits with how I ordered this laptop then.

The additional comment about the lightness of the 2013 and 2014 versions gives me confidence I'm alright.

Thanks again for the comments.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo im done with kaspersky of late. personally there is better out there and with kaspersky not at all listening to their users as well as their resellers (i used to be one locally at my shop we dropped them and no longer will deal with them). imo its HEAVY and yes i have tried the newest one and even the newer beta. it causes the system to boot much slower before you can actually start using it especially which drives me nuts. and if you watch usually its the last item to show up in the task bar and until it does every thing drags like crazy.

it offers great protection no doubt if you can deal with it. also know the next version they will removing the advanced features i.e. there will not be the custom settings so if you use those know that in advance.

9. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

If you've enjoyed Kaspersky for this long, stick with it. It's certainly one of the best AVs out there.

10. fax

fax Registered Member

Try the latest releases, for example the soon to be release version 2014. Its even lighter than 2013. ;)

11. century

century Registered Member

It is the best advice you can get. I am using Kaspersky AV 2013. Hope to continue with Kaspersky in future because:
    1. No trouble so far.
    2. Consistently good record in AV tests over the last 5-6 yrs.
    3. Running light.
    4. Popular AV in knowledgable circles.
    Finally, sticking with the same old g*** is the best policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.