Kaspersky Business vs. Home Products?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hutchingsp, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

Can anyone clarify what the difference/overlap is between Kaspersky home products and their business products?

I know the business products can be centrally managed, but it's not entirely clear from the Kaspersky website what the other differences are i.e. is it the same product but with a few less "flashy" features geared toward home users?

The names don't seem to correlate in that it's Kaspersky for Workstations at version 6.x and Anti-Virus 2009 for home users?

Confused! :doubt:

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    you are correct kav6 is for workstations for business users.
    home users get kis2009 which is two versions ahead. it went 6,7 then 2009
    i read in the KL fourms that thyere will be kav for workstation beta testing soon. i will definatly help with that.
    guessing kav for workstation will go to 2009 version and skip 7.
    kav for file servers is kav 6 with just file av and some more options such as blocking infected computers for a certain amount of time and options for multiple kernals if you so wish to balance the load better.

3. hutchingsp

Hmm I didn't realise it was 2 versions behind, not that it's necessarily an issue.

I'd be interested if people "in the know" about Kaspersky think that's a problem - I'm looking for a managed business product so stability and detection is more important than "this years bells and whistles" that won't be used.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'm a home user who started with KAV WKS since that was the only mechanism at the time for a multiple seat discount. I converted to a KIS multiuser license when I renewed a couple of weeks ago.

Basically, KAV WKS = KIS with an added module that allows for centralized administration. I assume version progression is not as rapid since enterprise deployment tends to be a much more cautious exercise than single workstation upgrade.

The primary reason that I converted was that I was, in fact, using KAV WKS in pure KIS mode since I had a handful of discrete nonmanaged workstations. When the time comes, I assume that they'll skip V7 and go straight for V8, although I believe that there is at least one more MP planned for the KAV WKS V6 family.

The version lag isn't a problem. The product displayed good stability in my hands.

Blue

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

version 7 i concidered a minor upgrade. for kav the main improvement was new heristics and improved PDM. not much else other than that.
    kav 2009 the engine was completely rewritten from scratch.
    brand new HIPS module.
    whitelist for known safe files
    black list for known dangerous files
    heristics are used to place the file in a group depending on what the files does. genarally low restricted.

plus loads more

its quite new so some issues are still there but critical fix 1 is in RC stage atm so should be out soon.
    you should try kav2009 on a test machine since with a little editing it will be kav for workstations soon.

6. BlueZannetti

As a long time KAV WKS user, I wouldn't count on that...

If the goal is a centrally administered solution - try KAV WKS 6.0. I do see comments that "new major version of KAV WKS is scheduled for Dec 2008", I guess that's not an MP update, but the next major version release which presumably would be based on KIS 2009. However, the only way to test the Admin Kit is via KAV WKS 6.0 and that's an important part of the package.

Blue

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi blue,
    the fact that kav/kis6.0 home user products are being dicontunued on septwmber 1st 2008 makes me think that kav for workstations will be updated quite soon. nothing wrong with kav 6, i found it very stable and reliable when i used it.
    are you saying you are using the buiness versions at home?

8. BlueZannetti

Yes, at the moment and for the past few years since V 4.5.

I'll transition to the consumer version when (a) KIS 2009 is formally released in the US or (b) when my current license expires (and then I'll upload the currently released UK version of KIS 2009). I'm pretty certain (a) will occur first.

I'm trialing the KIS 2009 beta version now on one machine to dial in my preferred configuration.

Blue

9. hutchingsp

Possibly a silly question but the manuals for KAV for Workstations and the Admin Kit aren't the best:

Does anyone know how to set it so that when a virus is detected it is moved to the quarantine area on the Admin Server?

10. itguru81

itguru81 Registered Member

I have been trying to figure out the answer to this question for some time, Kaspersky was not very responsive to my inquiry.

I originally tested out Kaspersky at my work with KIS 7, I found it worked much better than the Symantec enterprise we were using, and had been dissatisfied with. When renewal time came up this year, we made the switch to Kaspersky... but running KAV 6 obviously with admin kit. I have to admit I have not been that happy with the switch thus far. Not due to antivirus, but it seems to lack some additional malware protection that KIS 7 had. And to be honest we have much more problem with malware than antivirus... as the majority of virus threats are taken out by the mail server or gateway.

I would love to know how KIS 7 compares to KAV 6 specifically with regards to malware like trojans, spyware, etc... One example is the notorious Vundo which I have encountered a number of times, KIS 7 found it on a workstation previously, but I have yet to have KAV 6 detect it once on computers that I then find later with other tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.