Kaspersky back on track

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mack_guy911, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

The millions of satisfied customers aren't posting on the forums. While many advanced users are switching from KL products to free ones, as far as I know Kaspersky's amount of users has been growing all the time (because of average users). I hope they won't forget their advanced users in the next versions though, like what they did with 2011 and Custom Installation.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Yes but I wonder how many "average users" will repeat buy?:-don't throw in the old argument that satisfied users don't post in forums:-most "average users"either don't know these forums exist or can't be bothered chasing their own backsides trying to get a product to work hassle free:-they just move to something else,when a vendor can't even get the "fix"(CF2!) right after developing it through the beta programme for what seems months then that is saying something about both the original product and the developers:-I have a feeling Kaspersky labs knew how bad and troublesome 2011 was going to be for lots of users but released it anyway due to other vendors have new products either released or in the pipeline:-we shouldn't have to wait for 2 critical fixes(or more in this case) and wait months down the line to have a product that performs how it should have done on release!:-no matter how you try to paint it Kaspersky really screwed up with this product!

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Been running this new KIS 2011 for nearly a week now after Sjoeii's tip on bypassing the problem with the install ( see post 36 ).

Just running the AV, Proactive Defense and the Web AV and I am pleasantly surprised on how light it feels.

Okay, I/O Reads and Writes are high but I cannot feel this performance wise. There appears also to be no stability problems, nor high CPU spikes.

Since I receive free versions through my bank, it looks a keeper for now.

4. ace11

ace11 Registered Member

Does build 556 can be activated with commercial key >?
    Or is it @beta build only ?

5. Rampastein

Currently it's beta only, but the commercial version should be released soon.

There's also a commercial release build of 556 which was taken out from the KL servers shortly after releasing because of some bugs in the installer (installer, not in the application itself), which doesn't differ from the soon-to-be-rereleased 556 in any other way than fixing those bugs. However it can't be downloaded anymore.

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well i download it from KIS global site they remove it due to technical problem but Japanese version is still there you can find it from softpedia.com

yes it activate with commercial license i am using it right now and honestly speaking i happy its ligtest version of KIS 2011 i tried .400 but didnt like so i switch back to .556 :thumb:

edit: i face 100 cpu problem but only once in my xp it may be due to hight setting i set every thing high in xp that might be the cause when installing xp updates once but not its working pretty good i also make file scan default rather than high but web antivirus is at high

7. steve1955

Kaspersky haven't said it was a bug in the installer,in fact they have been very quiet on whatever problem that caused build 556(which is CF2) to be removed

8. Rampastein

There has been no official message, but the info for things like this is usually quite easy to find out in the beta forums.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=188390&st=80&p=1524391&#entry1524391

9. mack_guy911

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2010
  10. mack_guy911

if you think its some big bug or venerability issue than Japanese version wouldn't be there they already had a bad name so this time they are trying very hard to make a new version 100% bug free or at least look like it for NIS fans :D

11. steve1955

yes I subscribe there as well:-but unless Kaspersky do come forward and actually say why it was taken off the servers we can all take guesses as to the reason why!:- it was just an installer issue don't you think they would have officially released the reason why? and if it was just an installer issue why is it taking so long to correct?:-you have to remember the mods on there do not work for Kaspersky but in general are Kaspersky fanboys and as such try to make any problem either small and none security related if poss OR if you are having problems always due to something else on your PC,something you may have used 5 yrs back:-only when their beloved GSI logs show nothing do they admit it may be something to do with Kaspersky and then tell you to contact tech support as this is a "user forum"!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  12. Rampastein

Well, no one has really seen any bugs with their CF2 installations, and since the mods and the devs say that it's alright to use 556 then it likely is.
    Some are more, some less. While I dislike some mods' KL protective stance no matter what KL did wrong, it's not only the mods saying that this time:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=190428&st=0&p=1515189&#entry1515189
    In many cases however problems are solved by checking GSI logs and it's not a Kaspersky problem. And as the mods are not KL employees it is just a user forum, they help as much as they can and forward the cases which they can't solve to tech support, which has additional tools for finding possible conflicts or bugs in KL products. I see nothing wrong with that.

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Not sure why I'm replying, but I guess I'm a fanboy... frantically defending my precious. :rolleyes:
    Thread: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=190428 Post number 3, confirming guesses.
    After post 3, patch A has been updated several times, with the latest fixes being:
    11-556a: HIPS: Cannot intercept activity "use command line of browser"
    TZ: 'don't monitor network traffic' not work when add IE to trusted app

Installer issues are: Update sources disappear after upgrade from 400 (556 installed on top of)
    Config files of previous version incorrectly handled upon install
    You can see the entire changelog here:
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=191876&view=findpost&p=1525258

Right, because GSI can actually provide insight with the system at hand, pointing out at potentially incompatible software, remnants of previous sec. progs. or a general insight in installed applications for which certain exclusions which may fix the issue can be created. Since some issues are not forum resolvable, the user is advised to contact official support.

Edit: one post late...

14. Rampastein

That has been already talked over, but that's not really related to the reason CF2 was removed, which you just got answered.
    I don't think many people care about requirements, since any modern computer has at least 1 GB of RAM, and the requirements don't tell anything about how light or heavy the program is. My older PC which runs KIS 2011 and XP, uses about 220 mb of RAM after booting. And the amount of RAM used by KIS (~10-25 mb by processes, ~50 mb by drivers which aren't visible via Taskmgr = about 60-70 mb) has never been raising during the session.

Anyway, probably my last post on the subject until I get something new to discuss.

15. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

I've been a Kaspersky user for the last few years and have waited for them to sort out the 2011 version, and until then i've tried other latest security suites which some i've really liked, but it's good to have Kaspersky back.

For the last few days i've been trying KIS 11 556 (a) and it's been running great. The detection & proactive defense is great.

I can understand steve1955 frustration at the official builds prior to CF2, but has steve1955 tried 556 (a) ?, sorry but i've just skipped through this thread so not sure if he is complaining also at the CF2 release.

16. steve1955

I have a copy of 556 installation file saved,does it update to patch "a" for that build via normal updates or via beta servers?

17. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Patch 'a' has been released on commercial update servers.

CF2 (a) is running great here. Most annoyances of 2011 are solved now. Moreover, it feels much lighter even more than CF1 (ab). Thanks KL for their great work.

18. Gauchoo

Gauchoo Registered Member

The normal servers.

Once you update Kaspersky, restart the pc and it updates it to the patch a.

19. steve1955

some users believe it or not do take note of what a vendor says is minimum system requirements for an application:-and Kaspersky on their site do say 1gb of free ram for 32bit and 2gb of free ram for 64bit,they don't actually say 1 or 2gb of system ram but "free ram":-to be honest I do know it runs with a lot less available than that but the requirements they state will put some off without even trying it!

20. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Kaspersky needs to really try reduce the resource load. I am trying NIS and it feels much lighter and windows starts quicker. KIS delays the startup process a lot as it takes a while to load its icon in tray. But i have never though Kaspersky to be light anyway, but i hope they can make their products much lighter like norton did.

21. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

For what it is worth I am running Build 400 (a & b) and it is running perfectly...and has been for almost after official release. I am just lucky I guess. :rolleyes:

In terms of the law whilst you may be right in terms of how to apply the Sale of Goods Act I suspect that if ones tries to apply it to Kaspersky one would have to apply it to just about the majority of software vendors inc. Microsoft on the basis that I cannot think of one recent mainstream release that did not cause some user(s) a serious issue (based on forum 'noise'...I am widely read ;) ). So do we really think there is any point in going there...I think not!

22. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

several ot posts removed. Stay on subject please. Thanks

23. steve1955

Perhaps it is time that some users tried legal redress against non-functioning/mal-functioning software,but probably hidden somewhere among t&c will be a get out clause that protects them from that,not sure nowadays do we actually buy any software to own or just a licence to use it ala Microsoft?

24. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'd like to know as to which track kaspersky are alledgedly on? as per the title of this Thread? would it be the Back TracK? as I tried KIS 2011 for a maximum of 5 minutes before I tore it out, the scans are more slower than the siberian express in a snow storm, compared to many others including my usual AV Avast, as a comparison Avast scans my entire system in 15-20mins while KIS estimated it would complete in 48 mins...

25. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

NIS vs Kaspersky - Kaspersky is where NIS was in 2006, 2005. Their are just adding more and more features, not testing them properly and becoming dog slow.

Whats with this cyclical nature of all these companies. They are ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ for a couple of years, then crappy for another 3, and maaayyybe they get back to where they are. We have seen it time and time again.

ZoneAlarm was great for a few years.. then died
    ESET was great for 3 years, then 3.0 debacle came out
    Kaspersky 2007 and then downhill from there

The list is long. Its no wonder that people keep switching between vendors.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.