Kaspersky back on track

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mack_guy911, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

please remind me:-how long ago was 2011 released on the public?(and I do mean ON the public not to the public)
    With this product line Kaspersky seem to be hoping their past reputation will lead to repeat business,I think Joe Bloggs in the street who has bought this product and doesn't know where to turn to for help and advice is going to be very disappointed in the way it performs,not from an overall protection point of view as that is excellent but in the way it interferes with normal PC usage,Kis seems to think the CPU is there just for it and nothing else

2. ogy

ogy Registered Member

this is a different point of discussion!
    Joe Bloggs can always call the Technical Support if there is
    a problem! :rolleyes:
    However...
    my goal was just to say that this patch(beta) is made by Kaspersky and
    is not 3rd party patch! (fix is made by your cars manifacturer :) )

3. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Looks slick (definitely a sucker for a pleasant and polished, professionally crafted GUI) and I'm sure it's pretty solid, but I couldn't imagine parting with $100 USD for up to a year's use of an internet security suite (3 PC license or not).
    If it were head and shoulders above the rest and I needed the extra magic and/or desired some of the unnecessary (IMO) features it provides, maybe. Maybe. Doubtful, but maybe.

4. steve1955

not really a different discussion:-thread title is "Kaspersky back on track":-with all the bugs in 2011 they are not,not yet anyway,and why should customers have to chase their own backsides contacting support,who give you a ticket no if you're lucky and no reply if you're not!,to get a product that has been on the shelves months to work?:-the release should have been held back until most of these problems were resolved,they can't even seem to get the "fixes" right at moment:-they released CF2 then removed it from servers due to some problems which they don't seem to want to disclose:-I have that downloaded but don't want to install in case the problem was an exploitable vulnerability,but as they won't give info who knows?

5. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Good discussion guys.!
    I see some people who like it and a lot who don't. Unfortunately I can't find a good list on what seems to be the problem

6. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

Just one thing: that we must always wait until CF2 until KIS/KAV is bugfree in each version.

There's also the lack of custom installation which, although being a smaller annoyance, is still bad.

7. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I just experienced this corrupt database twice this week...first issue using KIS or KAV protection. Apparently it has been around for a while. Thanks!

8. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Ok, I will go with you on v2011 about the fact that CF1 had some bugs indeed. Although we are talking about Kaspersky , name me one AV which doesn't have any bugs after release. They all have some left after release. Unfortunately release is often a marketing thing.

9. steve1955

A few bugs (minor ones)wouldn't be a problem but v2011 has been dire:-CPU hogging,slowing net to a crawl(thought I was back on dial-up!)and due the the way it hogs resources it more or less makes a PC unusable at times,suppose that could be ultimate anti-malware as it makes things so difficult you don't use your PC!(lol),I have at mo got Nis 2011 running on a couple of machines,which was released after Kis 2011,and with that I have had no problems at all,so there you are:-I've named one that is either bug free(prob not) or has very minor bugs that don't give users headaches(migraines in the case of Kis 2011!)

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree with Steve, the latest version has had some very large problems and you cannot even pick a custom install yet!

I can name lots of AVs/Suites that have I have tried/run in the last 12 months, which even with the first release ran much better than KIS/KAV and for me the slippery slope started when Kaspersky started to incorporate so many different modules into their products. IMO, their peak was reached with AVP 3.5; bring back the simple standalone AV or at least allow a custom install.

In addition the new versions seem to have become a lot more sensitive to the remnants of other past security software; I still cannot install KAV/KIS on one of my machines as it finds registry leftovers of Eset's on-line scanner which I cannot find!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

12. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Patch A (which is in testing ATM) doesn't address the slowness of Application Control and reports.
    It's taken from here: -http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=187964- , so it's unofficial. (credits to beta tester Достоевский)

13. steve1955

that was a nice product and by far in advance of all other AV products around at the same time,problem is the average user expects their security suite to do everything,up to and including brew a cup of tea!(lol)so a simple AV will not cut it anymore and malware is far more sophisticated so detection techniques have had to become more intense(for want of a better word):-the ideas in 2011 are excellent as is overall protection,its just it doesn't run anything like well

14. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Thanks Sjoeii, will give that a try when I have the time ;)

For average users, my kids, I have given up loading up AVs/suites on their computers and simply shown them how to use Sandboxie. Too much slowdown with AVs, particular for my son who is in the Computer games Industry. Touch wood neither of them have seen any malware in nearly 4 years (I check their machines when I visit them).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Sjoeii you use KIS 2010 or KIS 2011 and which version if KIS 2011

i love KIS 2010 it didnt give me a single issue but in 2011 (11.0.2.556) now i am facing high cpu problem when doing updates in windows in trial although it look fine

edit: Version 2011 (11.0.0.232) even ok i didnt tried Version 2011 (11.0.1.400)

16. mack_guy911

very strange KIS 2011 (11.0.2.556) give me cpu trouble in my old lenovo xp laptop where as same version on my desktop with specifications: vista 32bit core 2 duo 2.66 ghz, 6 gb ram go like rock-star without high cpu no problem at all very strange and funny results :D

17. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Hi
    I'm switching between KIS 2011 and PURE. I really like the latest PURE

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I like PURE. The parental control is amazing. Unfortunately, I have no personal use for it. The backup feature isn't of much value to me unless it does disk imaging, which it does not. The Password Manager is decent enough. The interface for PURE is amazing. They should have whoever did that do all of their program interfaces.

19. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

I agree, it's gorgeous. The first PURE was pretty slick too. Best default app GUIs ever.

20. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

How do you like PURE? I have had NIS 2011 (upgrading from 2010) since it came out...it had been absolutely smooth and flawless until the corrupt database occurred but I followed the fix recommended by using "repair" and all is fine. I haven't seen any review on PURE but I'll bet you are enjoying it so far.

21. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I'm running it now indeed. It is very fast on my machine. Besides that I really lijke the Password Manager

22. mack_guy911

23. mack_guy911

parental control is very good in KIS 2011 as well and best part is you can set parental control with admin/non-admin user/s with blocking of download of application, archives, music it give you primary defence against any executive file on net (ie. if you check the malware sites on net most of them having .exe (executable file) at end so they blocked by parental control itself without triggering even an antivirus which is very good defence if used)

24. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Lets hope this time around kaspersky will prove the money we spend right...after a top being around 2005-2006 it too a nose/sky dive to being at best mediocore...and the buggs..their forums says it all..seems like (me included for a few years) most of their clients have something to cry about..while the free competition humiliates them into oblivion..

25. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Not from where I am sitting. Latest version of KIS works flawlessly and light on my system. Based on how it works for me would not change even if you paid me...and that is the point. It is about what works best for each set-up/person. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.