Kaspersky back on track

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mack_guy911, Nov 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gGIubFBZSk

latest video of mr geraner

after so many bad reviews kis 5.56 doing well

now even they increase beta testing time and hope we see soon KIS 11.0.2.566(a)........or + version soon they are working pretty well i myself using KIS 11.0.2.566(a)

good to see they are improving and they make beta testing long :D

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. qakbot

qakbot Registered Member

Keyword "long". Kaspersky is in a constant state of beta testing, using their paying customers as Beta testers. This wasn't the case back in KIS 2009. 10 and 11 have been a disaster on the quality front. What gives ?

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

People can choose to be a beta tester. If they don't feel like it they can stay out of it and wait untill beta is over. KIS 11.0.2.566 will be better and there is even a new patch build being tested as we speak.

4. Nevis

Nevis Registered Member

kaspersky has not impressed anyone this year .. lets see what their beta issues can solve to some extent

5. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Lets hope so. I used to swear by this product.

6. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

exactly my view.........kaspersky still has a dedicated fan-base which keeps it thriving...

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It's OK to use those who desire to be beta testers. I personally think that is an excellent method.

Having said that, I have been a user of KIS since V6 until recently. Several months ago I began to get warnings that the data base or blacklist was corrupted. After about three of those times, where I had to reinstall KIS on both computers I ditched it.
    I am not willing to spend that much time attempting to fix an AV, and probably won't return to Kaspersky. It has been just too buggy for awhile.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

agreed i ran it for years. until the 2009 version. which was not even that bad. but 10 and 11 are imo aweful overall i have calls about them all the time from customers. many are about the same issue as jerry had with the corrupt database

9. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

I don't think that they're using their paid customers as actual "beta testers", but they should actually fix the bugs reported during the real beta (and make the beta time a bit longer). Both KIS 2010 and 2011 were released while there were dozens and dozens of unfixed bugs in their bug tracker, which were all delayed to CF1, CF2 or even to the next version (12 or 2012).

KL products usually get very good when they're on Critical Fix 2 though (and 11.0.2.566 is CF2 - the third build of KIS/KAV 2011 - so it's pretty expected and required that it'll run well).

About corrupt database, there's a rollback function which will in most cases fix it, or you can just update and it should be fixed (unless you're talking about some different bug here). I remember getting corrupted updates exactly once in the last 2 years.

The protection it provides has been excellent even with the issues though.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Version 6 made me a fan, and version 7 was great. I have not been terribly pleased since. The 2010 wasn't actually bad for me. I can't get excited about the 2011 at all. It doesn't matter how good the protection is if it isn't stable. Which it has not been for me.

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

have you guys tried the new PURE R2?
    Curious to hear what you think

12. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

the last version of Kis 2010 that I downloaded has been great(736)and one of best versions they have ever produced:-I've been using Kav from when it was called avp on win 95 and I don't think any have been better overall,as for 2011 I have had too many issues with it to try it again until after CF2 is released along with what I believe is going to be "patch A" for that version,with 2011 they seemed to move from their best effort ever to probably the most buggy ever,and there have been a few buggy ones in the past,Kav 5 sticks in the mind when 1st released but latest effort beats that into a cocked hat!

13. steve1955

no thanks,and if they don't resolve problems with Kis before my renewal date I will be moving to a different vendor,shouldn't have to wait for 2 critical fixes and various patches to get a program to run like it should have done(or nearly done!) on release!

14. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

2011 has been the most stable version I have ever used (and that is a number of version now). Not a single issue has manifested itself under Win7 64bit! :D

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I beta tested it a little bit and it looked promising, more so than KIS 2011 did. However I have a 3 user KIS license and 2 licenses for their password manager, so switching would get expensive unless they wanted to give me some kind of credit for doing so.

16. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

KIS 2011 CF1 (ab) is rock solid here. It has never crashed or complained about corrupted bases. CF2 will surely bring more compatibility, stability, and broader coverage of threats (improved HIPS, Proactive Defense, and many more improvements).

17. Rampastein

It still has things like Application Control slowdown (especially with KSN enabled) and the random "Unknown Application" bug with the sandbox. KIS' GUI also crashed once when I was in the sandboxed desktop mode and since the GUI wasn't responding I had no other way to get out of the sandbox than by manually restarting my computer (has happened only once though). Otherwise it's running well.

18. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Application Control list slowdown is known issue. An unofficial patch (related to skin) is available at KL forum, which completely solves the problem.

19. Rampastein

It being in the "known issues list" doesn't help the situation at all. It has been known since the first betas (even before the first release build of 2011 - 11.0.0.232 - was released), and it's still not fixed. Not even in CF2 as far as I know. It's just one example of a bug which has been known for a long time and always just delayed to the next build until it has been delayed to the next whole version (version 12).
    Which, AFAIK, removes some GUI features like application icons and location paths in reports. So it's not an actual fix.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  20. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Final revision of the workaround only removes icons for items in the Objects column (location paths), not the whole column itself (as it was with the test revision). Still, agreed it's not an actual fix but it works well. :)

21. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Is custom installation available in the current beta?

22. Rampastein

It was available in every beta version but not in the final versions "because it's technically impossible" (due to the KAV-KIS installer I assume).

The lack of custom installation is superb annoying. Today when I launched Outlook I got a Anti-Spam settings dialog instantly, which gave me the option of disabling AS. After disabling it the whole GUI went yellow, and although I can hide the "Some components are disabled" message, the GUI still stays yellow on the parts "System and Applications Protection" and "Online Security". I guess I'll switch to something else if KL doesn't get back on track with KIS 12.

23. steve1955

Oh that's good,an unofficial patch fixes a problem!don't you think Kaspersky labs should have by now released an official fix for this known problem,if you bought,lets say a car,that had a problem would you expect some 3rd party to offer to fix it or would you expect the manufacturer to do it?

24. Gobbler

Gobbler Registered Member

Too bad, good old days.:'(

25. ogy

ogy Registered Member

Boyfriend means, unreleased(testing/beta fase) patch!
    It is not 3rd party patch!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.