kaspersky av vs antivir premium aka payed version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

these are the av's i have got left out of like all good av's.

I have tryed and liked both.

but i would like to know what you think are advantages and disadvantages of each product?

I will put in few things i liked

antivir- fast scanning
    low impact normaly and while running scan
    easy to use interface (not that this matters since I know what im doing)
    fast startup
    great signiture and herisitic detection and quite fast updates.
    not needed to exclude anything from scanning.

Kaspersky- scan new and changed files only so fiurst scan is slow but after its really fast.
    great signiture detection and fastest updates.
    I like the fact the icon has a movement when its scanning something so you know its working. not completely needeed but sort of nice to have.

for kaspersky i would probaly use internet secuiety version and only use antihacker from it.

for antivir premium i would probaly wait for the suite.

but i want to know what you people think as they are both great av's but what the good and bad points are.
    thanks in adavance
    lodore

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Why then you want to know about KAV? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

rephrase your thread: KAH vs.......firewall.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I dont think I can change the title.

I mainly want to know about the antivirus functions but was merly stating that i would probaly use antihacker.

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The AV in KIS is the same as in Kaspersky Anti-Virus. KIS just has additional features, which you can install completely, choose which parts to install or disable/enable sections when installed.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

precisely can we go back to the main topic please

antivir premium vs kaspersky 6.0 forgot about antihacker for now.
    ok?

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I've never used AntiVir so I can't compare. This AV v. AV malarkey gets a bit tiresome. It's far better for an individual to try out a product on their machine, and if it works for them, so be it.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have tryed both and i like both of em. but for different reasons.

i want other users to compare there findings.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Yes, but the point I'm making is 'x' product may work fine on your machine, but not run as smoothly on anothers for any number of reasons. This is why I said the best thing is for a person to try them out, and if it works without conflicts, great.

They both sound great, but you'll only know if one suits you by trying it out on your machine. Others comparisons will not do justice for the reason I stated above i.e. everybody's setup is different.

I'm using KIS right now, but I'm not switching to AntiVir just because they got high scores in these latest tests. We could too easily fall into a never ending cycle of switching AVs because they did so well or users report favourite features they like about it. Who is to say whether 'x' product does as well this time next year in AV testing? Will all those that switch end up switching again?

Just a few thoughts. :)

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I do see you point. this is a kinda last thing thing before i buy eiether one of em.

as my sig says atm i have f-secure and it does slow me down quite alot. i have read that quite alot of people have tryed kaspersky with scan new and changed files option off and when they option a folder it takes ages. which is what i have with f-secure. so it seems its a fault with the kaspersky engine so not really f-secures fault. so kaspersky engine on its own makes opening folders slow because it has to scan every file everytime its opened. so there solution was to add a new option. why couldnt they just optimise the engine.
    antivir scans everyfile everytime you open the file and it doesnt slow the system down and has great detection. I of course would use the scan new and changed files only option so my pc doesnt slow down alot. btw this isnt a dig at kaspersky it is just as far as I am concered a fact. the scan new and changed files option is a great option but kaspersky should of made it so that even if you turn it off it doesnt make your pc much slower by improveing the engine.
    I hope no nod32 fanboys diss kaspersky at this point becuase I dont want that.
    im mainly stating what I have found out.
    it would be nice if antivir had a scan new and changed files option but since it doesnt slow the system down and has fast scanning it doesnt realy need it.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think as others here have stated, that any that fell into the Advance Plus catagory, are all you need.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

On topic:

Antivir -

Pro's
    Cheap, Great detection, great heuristics, light footprint, simple interface, does what an AV should.

Con's
    Updater, no behavioral blocking, addition of signatures to catch unidentified Viruses via signature and heuristics, program restart after updates

KAV 6

Pro's
    Excellent detection/protection, fast updates, upcoming heuristics, behavioral blocking, program protection, fast scans after first run.

Con's
    Expensive, somewhat confusing options, alot of prompts(I know can be disabled), may be too involved for everyday use.

I personally use Antivir free on my notebook that I use all the time, and KAV6 on my desktop where I do bills/banking PIM etc.

HTH

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks for the info. tbh i do like scan new and changed files because after first run the scan only takes like 10-15mins so I would run it alot more. i dont run f-secure full scan much because i have to scan about 50gb worth of data and it takes about 1.5-2.0 hours. so im looking for an av with lighter footprint , faster scanning. dont mind some prompts but dont want to many.
    I am a safe surfer.

im fine with the options. since im know what im doing. I setup my own custom options.
    but its hard to choose which one. they both have some cons. but both have great pluses

13. egghead

egghead Registered Member

See reliable tests (e.g AV comparatives) as a guide to test certain AV’s, not as an absolute truth. Trial a couple and see if it protects YOUR “real world”, if you like it, if it does not conflict with other (security) software etc etc. When you pick one AV out the top 4 (in the latest AVC test) you will be well protected.

I myself am a Kasperskynaut. If there is an AV that scores 1% higher than KAV, so what ? Big deal. In my “real world “ I am never been hit by a virus (or other malware) using only a firewalled router and KAV. I am talking about a period of more than 1 year. Since years KAV is top in detection. Kaspersky is a powerhouse, and will always be one. Guess what AV those hackerboys themselves are using ?

The only reason I can think of for leaving Kaspersky is when they would force me to by their suite (in stead of their standalone AV) or they would sell the company to symantec. :eek: :eek: :eek:

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

symantec rofl.

i am a safe surfer and thinking of just having a good av and my router with probaaly a good software firewall.
    havent been hit with malware on this pc. because f-secure uses kaspersky engine and am hapy with the protection level.
    but f-secure resourse useage is really high!!.

also i have noticed is that kaspersky themselfs update at weekends which not many av's do. I guess I really shouldnt say this. because it might mean someone might send out malware at weekends

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.