Kaspersky AV&IS 2014 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by guest, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The Screen Unlocker is supposed to work by replacing the standard keyboard driver with a Kaspersky driver. I have examined all my keyboard devices and they all have the standard Microsoft drivers which Kasperky claims it replaces.

http://media.kaspersky.com/pdf/Kaspersky_Lab_Whitepaper_Anti_blocker.pdf

2. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Thanks for the link. It's possible that it has compatibility issues with VMware, but the secure keyboard input (upon which this feature is built) seems to be working properly, i.e the KL driver correctly intercepts and secures the keyboard input as part of Safe Money... I'll have to test further to see what's up.

3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

NVM I found them under driver details - i was just looking at drivers and details which is different than "driver details" on the driver page:)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  4. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Question - For those using KIS 2014 - New "Trusted Applications Mode",

.... I am trying to understand from the pdf docs, how the following would be handled:

1. In KIS 2014, if you have previously Enabled the New - "Trusted Applications Mode" and are using it,

... then, in the future, when you are about to Install a New Application that you "Trust",
    ... what is the procedure/steps to follow to allow the Application Pgm - Installer to successfully install the new application
    .... and have all its "programs and drivers" listed as "Trusted" by KIS, so that you can continue using "Trusted Applications Mode" and not have your application fail to execute properly (both its pgms any drivers that it installed and uses) o_O

... Would something like below, be the procedure to follow in this case:
    1. Right click, Systray Icon, "Pause" protection.
    2. Execute Installer Pgm.
    3. Set Pgm that was installed, its dll's .exe's to "Trusted" status.
    4. Right click, Systray Icon, choose Resume protection.
    5 .... And then "Tusted Applications Mode" will continue working, as expected ??

... Or, must you:
    1. Disable - "Trusted Applications Mode".
    2. Execute Installer Pgm.
    3. Enable - "Trusted Applications Mode" and have it re-analyze/re-build the "Trusted List of Pgms" o_O

2. Would you need to do one of the following, when installing New Pgms, if KIS 2014 "trusted Applications Mode" does not consider them to be Trusted.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

For anyone that has not seen the answer on the Kaspersky forums:

-http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=273312

6. JosephB

I have to admit I am still partially confused as to what the answer fully means.

Does it mean you can never rebuild/re-analyze again, after the first time the build/analysis occurs, upon first enabling the Trusted Applications Mode, following the install of KIS 2014 ?
    I was hoping someone here had tried KIS 2014 with the new feature and could describe in simple overview how the whole thing works, including usage tips, limitations, etc., in a way I could understand it.

7. xxJackxx

What I get from that is, you enable Trusted Application Mode, which uses a list of applications from Kaspersky's servers. I assume that list is updated along with the regular definition updates. If an application is on their trusted list, then you can run it. If not, it is blocked. There is nothing you can do to add an app to the list. It would just basically be a whitelist of things you can run that is not controlled by you. If Kaspersky adds a new application to the list, then you can run it. If not, it is still blocked. If you wish to install a new application, and it is already on the list, you are good to go. If it is not, then you cannot run it. If you run a lot of popular applications and want to lock out unknown software, it sounds like a good thing. If you run a lot of shareware and relatively unknown applications, you will probably face a lot of frustration because you will not be allowed to run that type of software. If you are a programmer, you probably would not be allowed to run your own software, so it would be best in that case to have it disabled.

8. JosephB

xxJackxx,

Thanks for the explanation, as this explains it well to me.

Based on what you detailed, this mode will not be useful to me at at all, since I fall into the below category:

Sounds like the best approach will be the traditional KIS approach.
    I am ready to switch to a new Security suite and am thinking of switching to KIS (with traditional approach), but now my main concern is about the issues I read in this forum (and KIS Forum) about KIS 2014 Issues with FF 22 and later, as I use FireFox Vers, 22 currently.

... I wonder if KIS 2013 is still available for purchase ?
    ... Or, if anyone has heard when KIS 2014 will be patched to work with either a FF 22, 23 or 24 version ?

9. xxJackxx

2013 would need to be updated for recent Firefox builds as well as 2014. They will eventually update 2014 with patch b which should take care of that issue. Hopefully they will fix the not being able to access google with Firefox issue sooner. If you want to run KIS and Firefox it is advisable to run the Firefox 24 ESR version so that when they do finally update KIS to be fully compatible you can keep it for a while instead of having the extensions broken again when Firefox 25 is released 6 weeks from now.

10. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

If memory serves, it was this issue, upwards of two years ago, that was the final straw for me and KIS. At that point I switched to Bitdefender Internet Security. Haven't had this problem since.

Kaspersky has a lot of good things going for it; always has. But responsiveness to customer needs has historically been a problem.

It's borderline ridiculous that Kaspersky cannot keep up with FF releases, even though their customers want to use and benefit from the latest browsers, and even though Kaspersky competitors don't have a problem adjusting to fast and numerous FF releases.

In business, the winners are invariably the fast and nimble companies who scramble to meet the ever changing needs of the customer.

__

11. JosephB

xxJackxx,

1. What does ESR stand for ?
    2. When I went mozilla.org, the Download button's release notes, indicated that it was Vers. 23 to be downloaded. Why not the vers. 24 ?

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Kaspersky's core protection components, which will stop malware from infecting your computer, will still work and are not dependent on those addons. In fact, if you choose an ESR or older Firefox version over the most recent one, just because of those addons, you are less secure. Just use the most recent Firefox and you are fine.

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

1. Extended Support Release, these releases stay on old versions so you don't get any of the new stuff that may cause compatibility problems, but you still get fixes for security vulnerabilities.
    2. Probably the site needs to be updated, release notes etc. are always published later than as well.

Yes the core stuff, but Banking mode doesn't work properly.
    Older version yes, but ESR receives updates to fix security issues.

14. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Nobody needs banking mode. The Anti-Virus doesn't even have it. I wonder how many people have had their banking accounts emptied, just because they only had KAV instead of KIS or Pure.

15. xxJackxx

Probably more than the number that ran KIS and Firefox ESR. In any case Kaspersky needs to get their act together and dedicate at least 1 person to keeping the Firefox plugins up to date. Other vendors have been pulling this off without issues for a long time now.

16. JosephB

What about what this user said below about still being able to use Safe Money with FF, even though the Safe Money plugin does not work with FF ?

forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=263307&view=findpost&p=2037459

17. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

safety money still works in IE I think. IE 10 and 11 are very secure these days.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Quote: Nobody needs banking mode.End Quote

I do not agree. I especially like the BD IS capability to protect when on an unsecured WiFi.

The fact that few if any have had bank accounts emptied does not negate the need for protection.
    Who can say when it might happen to one's bank account.
    Jerry

19. woomera

woomera Registered Member

kaspersky 2014 products are seriously unstable. kids can make more stable softwares.

20. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

And in what way is this statement helpful o_O

21. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Kaspersky IS 2014 actually runs very stable on my system: windows 8 enterprise x64

22. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

Although those promoting or having a stake in Kaspersky might not see negative comments as helpful, others who are considering evaluating, using, or purchasing the product would likely view such warning as helpful.

__

23. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Granted...in concept but what I was referring to was the lack of information as to in what sort of way that instability manifests itself. Could be related to OS version, what other software is also installed, what specific elements of KIS, i.e., web browsing, firewall, etc. KIS 2014 actually works very well for me...but that does not mean that it will work as well for everyone...that is obvious...otherwise all other manufacturer would be dead in the water...which is clearly not the case.

And BTW I certainly DO NOT promote or have a stake in any of the software I use or comment on.

:rolleyes:

24. imperium

imperium Registered Member

I've just installed KIS 2014 and have noticed some pages take a while to load, also, on boot I have noticed the Icon is grey for a while. If I click on said icon, it tells me that KIS is still loading. I think I will go back to KIS 2013 until patch b is released.

25. Sprocket

Sprocket Registered Member

Same here. Windows 7 SP1 x64. Zero issues. I had 2013 IS installed. I downloaded the 2014 version from Kaspersky's web site, uninstalled 2013 (leaving the licensing info in place), then installed 2014.

(If it matters, I run the latest Chrome, installed from Google's .msi file. Kaspersky's browser plugins work. Kaspersky's safe banking feature also works perfectly. Maybe a little slow to load, but multiple bank, credit card and investment sites all work perfectly.)

Based on this thread, I expected issues - so much so that I ghosted a system image before the upgrade, just in case. But it's been completely smooth and stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.