Kaspersky AV 7.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rogervernon, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I'm having experiences similar to the OP. I've run kaspersky on a 1.8ghz core duo system with 1gig ram and a p4 3ghz system with 512mb ram and its noticeably slowed down both. So much so i've uninstalled it.

2. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I used KIS 6.0 in a Pentium II 266Mhz with less than 512Mb of RAM with no problems... More slow than some other AVs but not a big slow down of minutes... (up to 2 minute os less to start computer). Now I'm using Athlon 64 3000+ with 512Mb RAM with no problems obviously. Panda 2007 and F-Secure 2007 slow down in startup but F-Secure 2008 is ok now...

3. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Well, I have uninstalled all my other security programs, removed their left over folders, scanned with Registry medic, RegCleaner & CCleaner, turned off system restore and defragmented (twice!), with a re-boot between every operation.
    Turned on system restore, windows firewall and installed KAV with the start up scan disabled.

That has certainly resolved the slow boot up problem.:)

I can now give KAV a fair crack of the whip to see if it suits my surfing habits.

I'm still a little uneasy only using Window's firewall - has any one a suggestion for a good (preferably free) firewall which gives good outbound protection, is known to live happily with KAV and doesn't take a genius to configure?

Thanks for all your help, so far, folks. ;)

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Nice to hear things are getting back on track.

On the KAV WKS installs on my home machines, I tend to not install the Web AV (you can accomplish this post-install by going to Add/Remove Programs - you should be presented with an option to Modify, select this and uncheck installation of the Web AV) and disable the Anti-Phishing and Anti-Banner components of Anti-Spy. This is done in the interests of system responsiveness, YMMV depending on hardware and desires.

Blue

5. fce

fce Registered Member

roger, if i were you i will not uninstall Web AV of KAV if you surf a lot....

6. BlueZannetti

I guess the counterpoint is goes along the lines of how many redundant layers are really needed? Don't lose sight of the fact that the proactive defense module is there, as is the realtime monitor. It is not how much you surf, but where and how likely a user based misstep is to occur.

Blue

7. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

You can try KIS too... The firewall isn't the best but it's ok.

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I tried this program a few hours ago but all I got when I tried to update was messages saying that the data was corrupted - not very encouraging.

9. IBK

IBK AV Expert

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I think Roger is using KAV? no antiphishing, no antibanner..

in my experience, latest kav 7.0.0.125 runs smoothly with default installation and all 4 modules enabled. I used to disable everything but the file-av module in the past (due mainly to excessive pop-ups generated by the proactive module). Now, i'm greatly surprised of the amazing performance of kav 7 :thumb: :thumb: i just always disable the startup scan option while installing.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I don't know much about firewalls, but Online Armor has a free version that I think is a firewall. Maybe someone can provide some more intelligent information about it.

Regards,
    Jerry

12. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

it persists sometimes.even if u do run just kav/kis...try switching to the manual update and i guarantee ur problem will be solved...personaly tried with kav/kis 7 on soooo many computers and different setups including sister's or mom's which means just kav/kis on silent modes.

13. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

My money would be on Online Armor for causing the hang up. This seems a good firewall, but look at the problems on the Online Armor forum.

Seems too many bugs for my liking. I actually purchased Online Armor, but had to remove it while in Safe Mode, as it wouldnt even let Windows load!

I am using Vba 32 Anti Virus, now in conjunction with Look n Stop Firewall, very light indeed.

14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Sorry, but I missed that the OP was using OA.
    Best,
    Jerry

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I used LnS for several years, and found it unobtrusive, and problem free. I only stopped using it when I went to suites. If I were to return to a stand alone AV I might go back to LnS. It is not free, but almost as it was a one time charge.

I used Kerio 2.1.5 for probably 5 years or better, and would not hesitate to use it again, and it is free.
    I won't argue as to which firewall is the best, as I don't know. However, in spite of the hype for the new ones, I was well satisfied with Kerio and LnS, and would go with them again.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

LnStop is excellent & very low on resources, so it would get my vote...

17. BlueZannetti

Duh..., too little coffee in the AM (and for the record KAV WKS is KIS with some network awareness for administration at the enterprise level). You're quite right on that one!
    If a system is fine running full out, yes, go with a full install. However, if slowness is a bother, my experience is that these are the specific areas in which performance takes a hit. At that point one is faced with a decision to (a) grin and bear it, (b) make some adjustments by disabling performance sinks, or (c) look to another product. Depending on the situation, each of these approaches have merit.

Blue

18. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Most products could do with a little tweaking.

Although the default installation runs fine for me; just installing the File Monitor on Scan new files and by extension, and the ProActive Defense Module with just the Application Activity Analyzer enabled means that on this machine KAV in real-time runs as light as a feather.

19. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Compared to the number of Online Armor installs over the last 10 days, the number of reported problems/conflicts on the support forums is very small.

Remember people seldom go to a support forum just to say "Hey, this is great!" (although some do, and have) - they go there to get a problem solved.

If you do have a problem with OA and compatibility - we're happy to work with you until it is solved.

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

That's why just the AAA is enabled by default upon installation of KAV :)

21. rogervernon

Goodness, does Mike Nash NEVER sleep!:D

I'm going to re-install Online Armour, now that KAV is running OK and see what happens.

My only comment on KAV so far is that it's a bit noisy with pop-ups asking questions whose answer is often far from clear.:rolleyes:

It's obviously much more than a straightforward anti virus program, though
    :blink:

22. rogervernon

Ho, Hum - now that Online Armor is installed, I'm back to the sloooow boot up time.
    Obviously, on my laptop at least, with only KAV & OA running as security, there's a real conflict.

One or the other will have to go!

23. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

try trusted zone before u do so i might suggest.might just be component conflict.:D

24. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi roger,

I was playing yesterday with KAV 7 build 125 and latest OA free and did notice any slow down (at boot, during session or at when i halt my comp)

Regards,

MaB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.