Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5 for Windows Workstations

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by izi, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izi

izi Registered Member

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Be interested to hear blue's opinion on it.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Have just downloaded and will be installing tonight.

Blue

4. BlueZannetti

I posted some initial thoughts over at the KAV forum sponsored by USEICE, check the link for some of my initial impressions

It's early, and I have to see what adjusting can be done. The aesthetics are clearly better than KAV 4.5, but I happen to like the functionality of 4.5 better right now. That may change after getting acquainted to the new look. It is sufficiently different in look and feel that it's almost like a new application as opposed to a version upgrade - that's not necessarily a bad thing - but it takes getting use to.

As with KAV Personal and Personal Pro - there are some features in 4.5 that haven't made it into 5.0 yet (e.g. easily choosing which bases to use - although my impression is that KAV WS allows for some workarounds not seen in the pthers)

Blue

5. BlueZannetti

Some additional comments after a couple of days....

1. I seem to be having some compatibility issues. I frequently see Outpost Pro firewall (ver. 2.5) get killed off with nary a whimper. The tray icon simply folds up. Whenever this happens, I've lost (or never had) Internet connectivity. A reboot typically fixes the problem. Not sure what's up, but it started with the KAV 5.0 WS install. On the boot partition I'm using for KAV right now, in addition to Outpost, the only other security apps are BOClean and ProcessGuard. No info in any logs that I can see as yet.

2. Even if I disable the realtime monitor, the startup scan procedure seems to do it's thing. Not sure how this bodes for those who would like to use KAV 5.0 as demand only.

3. On a complete scan of my entire system - all drives, all files (a little over 1.1 million files), time for the scan is ~ 171 minutes. For comparison, NOD32 (running off my primary boot partition - same filesets) takes 71 minutes. In realtime monitoring I notice a very slight lag with KAV, nothing terribly perceptible with NOD32. I'm assuming that the realtime response characteristics probably scale reasonably well with the demand scan speed ratio. Note - I have iStreams/iChecker disabled so I can make this comparison with some degree of merit. I'm definitely not claiming it's exact, but it looks to be a reasonable proxy bad on my casual observations at the keyboard. Initial scan performance does take a decided hit due to these features until files are recognized as unchanged.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.