Kaspersky and Earthlink email problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Stro, Nov 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Does anyone have experience using Kaspersky Anti-Virus 5.0 with Earthlink email? Can you enlighten me about how to fix this problem?

I started a 30-day trial of KAV on 11/15 and activated Earthlink as my new ISP on 11/23. I also downloaded the Earthlink’s TotalAccess 2005 software containing their email program. Two things have happened:

1) Earthlink’s email program on my PC (not the webmail.Earthlink which works fine) will neither send nor receive email while KAV’s real time monitor is active AND Earthlink’s email ports 110 (POP3, incoming) and 587 (STML, outgoing) are entered into KAV’s email monitoring set-up screen. Earthlink email starts working again if you either a) disable KAV real time monitoring or b) enter bogus email ports into KAV. I’ve entered numerous Earthlink .exe and .dll files into KAV’s “Trusted Processes” screen, but without successfully getting the email program to work again.

2) KAV anti-virus automatic updates began to consistently fail beginning 11/23 according to its record log. I can no longer manually update the database either. KAV will just not connect to any of the many update servers it cycles through. Kaspersky tech support answered my email and said their update servers are currently down due to some large upgrade/update. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that KAV lost its update ability on the same day Earthlink ISP was switched on?

BTW, all testing & attempted repairs were down with both ZoneAlarm firewall and Process Guard shut down and with whatever relevant addresses I could think of entered into MS Internet Explorer’s Trusted Zone.

I appreciate your assistance and insight.

Regards,
    Stro

2. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

First I would look more towards Zone Alarm as the problem, I have seen it cause many connection issues. Also, have you ever had any other antivirus programs installed on this pc? Pop email access uses ports 110 and 25 unless you need a secure connection.

Unless you need their Total Access software I would recommend against it, when ISP's put together a software package it sometimes causes more problems that it's worth.

Try setting up your email using Outlook Express or Outlook and see if you can send and receive it ok.

:)

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

4. Stro

Stro Registered Member

SSK,
    There is nothing in my Kaspersky Personal 5.0 30-day trial (v. 5.0.225) that deals with Network Attacks. I looked at the screenshot at www.kaspersky.com, but my screens are not the same. I've searched every avenue in the Configure Real Time Protection area without success.

Funny, Kaspersky could update its AV database until activated the Earthlink ISP.

Stro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.