Kaspersky 5.0.383 NEW :)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kav is the best, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enhancements:

1. An error that occurred when saving parameters or updating the reports in case of insufficient disk space has been corrected

2. An error that caused system crash when performing virus scan of devices with long names has been corrected

3. An error that caused "resource leakage" when turning the real-time protection on and off has been corrected

4. An error that caused incompatibility with D-Link modems has been corrected

5. A problem that caused errors while processing rar archives created using the Encrypt the filenames option has been eliminated

6. An error that occurred while updating using basic authorization at the proxy server has been corrected

7. A license key installation utility has been added

Known problems:

1. The application freezes when performing a mail scan if a problem occurs when connecting to the Microsoft Exchange Server

2. Incompatibility with previous versions of Kaspersky Anti-Spam Personal (up to 1.0.0.25)

3. Limited compatibility with Sygate firewall. In order to solve this problem, disable the Enable driver protection option using the Sygate interface and install an additional utility program klimsetup.exe

4. Incompatibility with the MñÀfee Parental Controls application

5. The feature of updating via FTP proxy servers is not available

6. Incompatibility with Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.5 under Microsoft Windows 9x. In order to solve this problem, upgrade to Kaspersky Anti-Hacker 1.7 or to a newer version

7. Pop-up information messages are not displayed when working under Microsoft Windows NT 4.0

8. Problems when performing the update task if SkyDSL is used

http://d-ru-1h.kaspersky-labs.com/products/release/english/homeuser/kavpersonal/

2. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I wish somebody with a pipeline to the good folks at Kaspersky Labs would convey to them the idea of combining their AV and Spam Filter into a package, rather than bundling their "firewall" into packages. Also, I thought I heard that you could buy a TWO year license of KAV at a discounted rate, but I couldn't find that anywhere. A two year "Anti-Virus/Spam Filter" package at a discounted rate might very well be the ticket for me to ditch McAfee..... :D

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

In that case, look at these two yearlicenses for personal, Pro, the suite & Antihacker:

http://www.kaspersky.com/2yearlicenses

According to Andrey, the Online Solutions Manager, users of Personal will be able to upgrade Kaspersky 6.0, and PRO users will be able to upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security (which includes anti-spam) when it is available.

So what are you waiting for........:D ;)

Btw. The network protection in Personal & Pro is not a firewall, it's an IDS which can detect these kinds of networkattacks: TCP port scan, UDP port scan, ICMP flood, TCP SYN flood, Land, Ping of death, Lovesan, Helkern, there may be more because it has just been updated.

4. JRCATES

Thanks for that, Don :D

I thought I had heard that users could purchase a two year license.

Yeah, I did read that, Don....
    soooo.....since I'm not interested in their firewall, you're saying that this really is NOT a firewall? So then it would work "side by side:, with...say, Outpost Pro?

I still think the idea of a combination "Anti-virus/Anti-Spam" would be a great idea and I would be very interested, because that is something that McAfee offers (minus the firewall and Privacy Service, etc.) that is a nice package. As long as one vendor is scanning email, they may as well filter it as well....don't you think? :)

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Lets say Kaspersky IDS is something like Network Shield in avast!
    It's designed to protect you from very specific attacks,rather than creating full firewalled barrier. I'd say this IDS is ideal for Windows Firewall users like me to work as second firewall layer without extra resource usage.

I kinda start to like Kaspersky Lab product even though it has that ugly bug (at least for me) witn Firefox...
    They seem to update program components more than before :)

6. thank you :)

thank you :) Guest

Don Pelotas

this new KAV pro stop my internet !!!
    im using sygate and i have disable the firewall in KAV PRO but nothing change :(

old kav 372 work ok with syagte :(

7. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

any one tried the new version??

and likes it bettero_O

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I just updated. Works great so far :)

9. Don Pelotas

Actually, the recommended action is to disable it when using a firewall other than Kaspersky's own, you can easily do this during the install:
    After doing this, the info in the main window will look like this (pic is Pro, but they look/act the same):

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1586/8691sr.png

All perfectly normal, but scares some.

I'm not the one to ask about antispam products, because i don't use any, i don't need them (so far :D ), but i will of course use the one included in the suite, when we can upgrade. :)

10. Don Pelotas

Two things:

1. You will need to disable the network protection.

2. Either return to ZA, or install Klimsetup.exe, i would persoanlly use ZA, you have license for this haven't you? But it's your call of course.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  11. thank you :)

Klimsetup.exe
    what is use for?

12. Don Pelotas

A utility to overcome a compatibility problem with Sygate:

13. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Don

Going to the posted URL there is both a full exe, and an Update exe. What is the difference, and which do you recommend.

Thanks, Pete

14. Don Pelotas

Either, the one without databases (i used this one, this time) you exit Kav from the tray and execute the update.exe as normal, reboot and you're done.

The only real difference is that the update.exe is without databases & therefore half the size, there are still alot of users with 56k modems who appreciates this. :)

15. thank you :)

Don Pelotas can i use KAV 6 ?
    is better (now) than KAV 5 ?

16. Don Pelotas

Yes, you can use it, but i would not recommend it, unless you like testing betasoftware with the goal of ironing bugs out.

5.0 is definitely better, 6.0 is too early in development yet. ;)

17. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Is this new version x64 compatible?

18. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

I see that the resource usage is up again with this release. Previously it hardly used any memory and I was loving it. With this release the mem usage is up again. Or is it just with me.

19. Don Pelotas

No, it will be version 6.0 that covers this, due oct/nov. :)

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks Don

Pete

21. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

As i have a software firewall should i disable network protection in kavo_O

22. Don Pelotas

Yes, if it's not Antihacker, then yes you should disable it.

23. JRCATES

Hey Don, thanks for all of your detailed info and the screenshots that you provided. I'm seriously considering KAV once my McAfee subscription expires (still wish they'd have an Anti-Virus/Anti-Spam combo package). You'll probably be hearing a lot from me around the time that my subscription is close to expiring (LOL)..... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.