Kaspersky 2006/Kis 2006 beta1 released.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Don Pelotas, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

No,
    When I´m testing it, I let NOD32 only to update itself and run a scan every week.I have disabled the others modules.But I try the other way too and no problem.
    It is just a test.
    I´m a NOD32 user and I´m just a beta tester of KIS 2006.It will be an excellent product.
    When final version is out, I still will be a NOD32 user, since my license expires later. I didn´t decide what I´m going to do yet.

Best Regards,

DonKid.

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Built 230 out though seems to have a problem downloading updates, might be a network problem on the server side, don't know yet.

dja2k

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Well I gave it a try, but I had to remove KAV 2006 beta. It slowed my browsing too noticably for me. I had the same problem with KAV 5. This machine is no slouch and I'm on cable. I guess my computer is just one of the few that KAV doesn't like.

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try it without the webscanner installed ;)

I have used it as a straight AV, without the ProActive Defense or the WebScanner modules active, and have come across very few problems.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Don't know if its the new built 230 or if its me, but I just switched from DSL Advertised 3.0 MBPS (actual 2.3) down to a Cable connection with Advertised 5.0 MBPS (actual 4.6) and with KIS 2006 on, my cable connection goes down to about 2.2 MBPS. Yet when I turn off KIS, actual speed comes back to normal.

dja2k

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

dja2k,

I haven't performed any detailed speed tests with build 230 as yet, but your observations are consistent with some of my earlier tests described here and here. For top speed my recommendation remains that one should disabled the Web AntiVirus module and the Anti-Phishing and Anti-Banner components of the Anti-Spy module.

In a quick test, what I currently see is ~ 6.0 Mbps down/340 kpbs up for either KIS totally disabled or Web Anti-Virus and Anti-Phishing/Anti-Banner disabled and ~ 4.2-4.4 Mbps down /334 kbps up for either all or any of these particular modules enabled. I haven't tried all permutations, but the basic trends seen previously do still seem to apply.

The actual numbers seen will be dependent on machine speed and maximum download characteristics of your connection. For example, when net traffic is congested and average maximum net speeds are hovering at 3.5-4.0 Mbps down or below for me, I will see no apparent losses in speed as modules are switched in and out of KIS (i.e. all tests clock in at 3.5-4.0 Mbps down). Physically, this makes perfect sense and reflects the fact that KIS presents a throughput bottleneck with my machine at about 4.2-4.4 Mbps. The throughput bottleneck will naturally be machine/configuration dependent. These numbers quoted above reflect KIS 2006-230/BOClean/AppDefend-RegDefend as the active security monitoring package.

Blue

7. Oldjim

Oldjim Registered Member

If you haven't seen the solution yet please go to this link kis forum

8. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Apologies if this is answered somewhere in this thread (its got a bit long now). Where can I download build 230? The link in the first post of this thread seems to be still the same version as released on 1 Nov?

9. Blackcat

10. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Thanks a lot Blackcat

11. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

A new beta version is available kav 6.0.16.232

12. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hi Blackcat. When you say webscanner, do you mean the HTTP scanner? KAV 2006 beta slowed my computer down also. Just wanted to make sure. I'd like to give it another try if disabling the HTTP scanner will speed things up.

Also, by disabling ProActive Defence and the HTTP scanner, will that make KAV less effective in protecting my computer?

13. Blackcat

Yes.
    It will give less protection but you will have a more stable and faster product, IME. Running KAV 2006 beta as just the AV means I have run into very few problems compared to a complete install.

This is not surprising, since the HTTP scanner and the Application Guards are new features which need the most work on in the beta.

14. Mannaggia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mannaggia
    Hi Blackcat. When you say webscanner, do you mean the HTTP scanner?

Yes.

Thanks Blackcat. Hopefully KL will have everything sorted out by the time KAV 2006 final comes out.

15. Mannaggia

Ok, I just installed KAV 2006 beta again. I have a couple of questions.

1. In Update>Settings, the Update Program Modules is not checked by default. Is it a good idea to check that, or leave as is?

2. In Scan Critical Areas>Customize>General>File Types, the default is Programs and Documents (by content). Should I change this to All?

16. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi

I can tell you what i do:

1. It's not enabled default in the beta bulds because it's not used so far and can lead to unstability, i also always uncheck the second choice (network attacks) too and will continue to do so untill we're nearer to the release date for the same reasons.

2. No, then you might as well use the "Scan my computer" for this.:)

17. Mannaggia

Thank you Don. :)

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I had to go back to KAV 5 because when I would switch to the beta I would get a blue screen at windows startup. Well, with that, does anyone know what .sys files that KAV or KIS 2006 uses so I can go and delete them manually incase some didn't get uninstalled witht the KIS\KAV uninstaller and removal utility.

dja2k

19. Blackcat

IME, the uninstaller together with the specific removal utility, when used in Safe Mode, do an excellent job in removing the necessary files. So you should not have any problems with installing KAV 5 again.

If you do, rather than manually editing the registry, try a specific cleaner, such as RegSupreme.

20. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I am using the newest built 6.0.0.239 of KIS and its working great. I have not noticed any internet speed slowdowns with this version. My speed test keeps giving me constant results. I installed it completely without the antispam. Don't know if its me , but the proactive guard is working more now cause the self protection is blocking some stuff now at windows startup. Does anyone know if the Anti-Spy works with Firefox, cause if it doesn't, so I can remove it? Also if I use SNS 2.0, ProcessGUard, and RegDefend, using the KIS proactive protection is useless and overlapping right?

dja2k

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  21. kavfan

kavfan Guest

quick query KAV 2006 is beta until march 2006 as well?
    do I have to uninstall nod32?

22. kavfan

kavfan Guest

...sorry and what is the beta serial?

23. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

KAV2006

B2B66782-6AC0-4533-88F4-060BB929C9318

KIS2006

995DC2D2-BD00-41EE-9803-B736BF9B311A6

24. kavfan

kavfan Guest

cheers kalpik but do you know if i have to uninstall nod32?

I have noticed the seperate remover on the ftp site? any instructions on how to use it?

25. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Yes its always better if u uninstall Nod32 before installing KAV/KIS. The remover on their FTP site is in case the bundled installer (via add remove programs) fails for some reason, or if u are having difficulties un-installing KAV/KIS. Never failed on me though!

By the way, there's a new build already! Build 242 on the FTP server.

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.